• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking habits

wh cream

Ive been playing for a couple of years now and have always plateau'd around 300' max distance with fairway drivers. I've been heading out to the field recently, and have gotten slightly better. Ive been watching a lot of form videos and slow-mos to understand proper form, but when it comes to practice I can't seem to really break my muscle memory. Today I really tried working on engaging my hips and shifting my weight, but it still feels like I'm just "strong arming" the disc.

https://youtu.be/P0O_zG_zdtU

This was about 300' with a Buzzz. Sorry for video quality I'll try to get a better one next time.

Recommend you strike "engage the hips" from your vocabulary!

You have a slow pressure shift moving foot to foot and not an abrupt weight shift.

You ultimately want to get from foot to foot more like this:
I9OAbj.gif

Looks like the drills are helping. Keep doing them - old habits are insidious and tend to creep back in.

That crush is starting to look a lot better. But you are still swinging behind the brace rather than getting stacked over the front leg. Sharing these in the recommended order you should do them.

You want to shift from behind into the plant. But your swing over the front leg should be like grabbing a door frame in the backswing, and shifting into that crush to lead the swing:

The backswing works like loading a bow:

Throw a hammer or similar object stacked on the front leg. When I say "stacked", what I mean is DROP into your leg like a "shift from behind", and as your leg resists the ground you swing forward like swing the door frame into the throw. Just by observation, this is usually harder for people without baseball, tennis, or similar backgrounds. Notice the door frame and load the bow action in his backswing:

Latest posts