• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking in a new disc

discgolphinmafaukner

Birdie Member
Does anyone have any advice/tips for breaking in a new disc quickly? I need to break in a couple of discs by a tournament in September.

I have heard about putting the discs in a pillowcase and putting them in a clothes dryer. Anyone heard/experienced good/bad things about doing that?

Thanks!

If I have a disc that I want to break in, I will usually throw it while I am out on the course without caring where it goes, hoping it lightly scars.. Except concrete, or other really hard surfaces.

throw it. You won't know how it flies unless you throw it.

Also try putting a lighter weight version in your bag.

Naturally beat discs are superior to fake-beat discs.
This is the conclusion I have reached after trying several different approaches to fake-beating.
I'll echo what people above me wrote: go play a bunch of rounds.

got a tree in your back yard? wrap some drainage pipe around it and throw throw throw... just not too hard if you re close to it...

There is a hole at my home course that is all tree I always throw a new disc there.

If its soft plastic like dx, I just play rounds with it to gently break it in. I have taken a few of my star discs out when they were new and hucked them at trees to beat them in.

The best and easiest way i have found is go to a course that has a lot of trees and is all dirt/rock. Then take a friend who has never played before. have them use that disc the entire round. Repeat as needed

The best and easiest way i have found is go to a course that has a lot of trees and is all dirt/rock. Then take a friend who has never played before. have them use that disc the entire round. Repeat as needed

I've used this strategy before lol.

Also I left my SS Wiz out in a couple thunderstorms and it seemed to be a little more worn. But that could have just been wishful thinking.

Naturally beat discs are superior to fake-beat discs.
This is the conclusion I have reached after trying several different approaches to fake-beating.
Me too. I've even tried creative sanding but nothing's better than a naturally aged driver. Plus you get to know that particular disc better.

Easy. Just play a round where for every shot off the tee, you throw a thumber with the disc you need to break in. Or throw your normal shot, then throw a thumber too just to break in the disc. Works well.

You can always try trading for beat discs, too.

+1 to this. I try to buy/trade for beat discs whenever possible.

In my experience, the fastest technique is to throw them edge-first at concrete or pavement. It seems the edge is where the beating-in has the most affect.

My favorite way to beat in a disc is to make full-power throws into basket chains from close range (a few feet). Aim for the pole, and don't miss the basket if you don't want to chase the disc.

Throw it.
Tommys, thumbers and high spike hyzers all will accelerate the process. When you go out to play, throw your shot ,then throw the disc you are trying to beat in, do this on every hole.
Or, go out to a field and practice throwing it straight up. Every time you see it flex when it lands hard on the edge, its gonna get a little more understable.

I agree with the opinion that playing with the discs makes for a better flyer than using artificial methods, like dryers and dragging discs behind your car, when trying to beat in a disc.

Depending on the disc, you could also try just getting it in a quicker beating plastic, like Pro or R-Pro, which season much faster than Champ plastic does.

Pro's beat in super quick. When I used a katana (I shudder at saying that) I had an Pro that I couldn't figure out because my first couple of throws were AAWESOMEE and I was super happy with it. Then later in the round I kept turning it over and all kinds of other goofy stuff. Then it was different every time I threw it for a couple of weeks. Now I don't throw it... happily.

Also I picked up a pro leo recently so it beats in quick and hard. So yea Pro's beat in super quick and lately it has seemed the plastic hasn't dinged up as much either which is good too.

There are things i've seen over the years in hotel rooms and at people's houses that have been done to discs to make them less stable.

This may be well known but since I don't throw Rocs i've never had to do it. To make a new Roc less stable all you need to do is take a reall sharp knife or razorblade and cut a finger sized cup into the outer rim. If done right they are virtually undetectable.

Rhynos. I never figured out why people who throw rhynos sometimes complain that they are too stable. To break one in while in a hotel room I have seen a rubber mallet used gently across the outer rim in a downward motion. I guess this would also work on any type of putter.

Somewhere I posted how to fix warped drivers. My method is to put them upside down on a counter and fill them full of boiling water and let it cool. I got that idea when I saw someone do it to a champion firebird. They actually put it in a pan top side up and pressed the flight plate down. added the water and put a 2 1/2lb weight on it. The next day that thing was nearly a roller. They used it for overhands.

those are a few techniques that I have seen. Or you could just do it the natural way which is what I recommend.

Latest posts