• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brian Earhart does the Door Frame Drill

What is the exact point of this drill? (Sorry still new to the game).

Others will be able to answer this more thoroughly than I can, but in general, it is to help get the feel of working around the disc. When you breakdown high level form, you really don't "reach back". Instead, your lower body moves forward, and the disc stays in the same place/behind you until you land on your front side which initiates the throw/swing forward.

Yeah, I replied to his FB post with Door Frame Drill part 3. The problem with holding the pole is that you can't really load/leverage against it or hang from it, so it's a much weaker version.

Got to put the pole in the other hand to actually leverage against it:

Yep, I have emailed a few times with Brian back a while ago. I believe he was helping Lykke Sandvik around the same time I was coaching her via video. He shared that video with her, and my response was identical to SW. it may be working for him, but where she was at, it wasn't going to work.

I think Specifically he's taking too big of a stride as well, and I know he's a big arm player. But even the video that popped up recently about sports biometrics, Drew Brees had to work on shortening his stride to improve his throwing distance and speed.

The more I learn about the mechanics of various throws, the more counterintuitive things I see.

Last edited:
Others will be able to answer this more thoroughly than I can, but in general, it is to help get the feel of working around the disc. When you breakdown high level form, you really don't "reach back". Instead, your lower body moves forward, and the disc stays in the same place/behind you until you land on your front side which initiates the throw/swing forward.

Ok that makes sense. Might have to start working on that myself.

I think Specifically he's taking to big of a stride as well, and I know he's a big arm player. But even the video that popped up recently about sports biometrics, Drew Brees had to work on shortening his stride to improve his throwing distance and speed.

First thing I thought.

If I remember correctly, Brian also doesn't have great rear leg action, coming off the heel like I do.

edit: yep

Last edited:

Latest posts