• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brighton State Recreation Area - Brighton, MI

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
Please post course updates here... This looks like it will be a densely wooded 24 hole course in disc golf mecca SE Michigan. Additional 6 holes of handicap accessible are planned for a total of 30 holes.

Another Course Work Day this Sunday 3/25/2012. All who can help are welcome!
-Scott

We will be working on sunday starting at 10AM till ????

We need volunteers desperately, please help.

we need people to bring the same tree cutting devices like hand clippers, tree loppers, etc. we have been approved to use battery operated sawzalls. NO CHAINSAWS SORRY.

we are also ready now for shovels and rakes (both the leaf and grass type rakes)

if you can give us an hour that is better then nothing. please come on out and help if you can.

734 649 8220
[email protected]

you can call me or txt me if you like. if i dont answer the phone i will call you back. i work tonight at CJ's 2-10. sat 6-2.

the course is located as follows.
from US-23 northbound from ann arbor take exit 54B M36 towards pickney approx 5 - 5.2 miles west bound, to chilson road take a right the only way you can turn, 2.8 miles to where chilson takes a right hand turn then 1.0 miles to the park office, the course is located back behind the office a little bit at the end of the parking lot.
Pay attention as you drive both M-36 and chilson as both roads are curvy and make right or left turns in the road.
M36 has a right turn at a blinking light which might be confusing.
chilson has a left turn and the potentially confusing right turn where swartout and chilson join 1 miles from the course.

we will have some pop and water at the course a small amout of food may be donated as well.

hope to see lots of you there please.
thanks
bill

Another upcoming work day, FYI..

Next work day is scheduled for this coming sunday the 15th starting at 10AM till 4PM or so.

we will be working on bringing the piled brush out to the fairways for the brush hog to destroy and if time still permits we may work on clearing more roughage.
bring hand clippers, tree lopers and such.
We are allowed to use sawzalls, no chainsaws.
rakes and shovels could be useful as well.

hope to see you out there.

Contact william gilbert if you can make it out please.
Supply this info:
What time arriving approx
How many in your group
Potential tools bringing
How long you might be staying
Names of helpers
phone numbers and email addresses would help to, and if you can text.

you can call me and txt me with questions as well.
if i don't answer the phone i will call back ASAP if i am at work.
[email protected]
734 649 8220

Hey guys,

I see you've had some luck with putting courses in at the State Rec Areas. There are three State Parks (Algonac, Lakeport, Wetzel) within 45 min of my house (Macomb and St. Clair Counties).

Question, are State Parks similar to State Rec Areas in terms of recreational use? Who do you speak to at the state level for adding disc golf courses at these parks.

What about State Gaming areas? They are pretty empty during hunting off-season. I know there are tons of rules for using them for hunting, but don't know if you can use them for MT biking, hiking or disc golf.

I see potential for dg courses on state land all over the place but could use some insight from those who know what steps are needed at the state level. I've only worked with local and county depts so far.

Thanks,
donnyv

Sorry for the late notice.. Work Day TOMORROW (Sunday 4/29)

*Message from organizers:
"Just a reminder about tomorrow's work day at Brighton Rec area. We NEED help!!!! Bring a rake or hedge trimmers!"

Fellow Golfers and Friends,

We need your help badly. The park system is going through the tail end of a project planning issue and has not had any park labor and may not until next month. We have 9 awesome holes designed and need to get the baskets in asap. As soon as we get them in we are clear for 15 more regular holes and 6 ada accessible holes. We MUST show them that our community is strong and cares about the local course development. We are going to give away ALL entries to a small volunteer only tournament with the 9 hole opening with prizes, ctp and ace pool.

Free pop and free food.

Tomorrow @ noon. Brighton Rec Area.

More works coming up:

Weather permitting wee will be working the following days.
Tomorrow, Thursday from 3 - 6 PM
Saturday (5/26) from 3 - 6 PM
Monday (5/28) from 12 - 4 PM
Not working this sunday as some of us are playing in the thrills at the mills tournament at hudson.

Bring rakes, hand tree trimming equipment. Does anybody have a weed whacker with the metal brush blade we can use those if i am there or gas powered hedgers for trimming hedges.

I would recommend bringing gloves, and wearing pants as well.

contact me if you need directions or other information.
734 649 8220

basically
from US23 northbound get off at the M36 exit i think 54B is the exit number towards pinckney or west bound. approximately 5 miles down M36 you will come to a traffic light by a strip mall (krogers, etc.) chilson rd starts here turn right onto chilson (north). 2.8 miles chilson turns right (east) intersection with swartout road which actually goes straight. 1 miles down on the left is the park office turn left into that go back past the boat launch and turn right drive back till the parking lot ends and you are in the area where the course is going to start.

Workday Sun 6/24 - bodies needed

Baskets are in, but things are still very rough around the edges. Pretty much all the hacking and cutting is done, but we simply need people to rake, pick up and help clear out debris.

If you got'em, bring heavy gloves, rakes, shovels and water. If you have access to, or know someone with a pickup truck, that could be a big help in getting some of the large branches and logs off the course.
The good news is this course is pretty much entirely in the shade.

Please come if you can, even if only for a couple of hours. Course is playable, but only in the broadest sense of the word.

This has the makings of a good course. If you live in the area, you know you're gonna play it... why not help out?

Last edited:

Latest posts