• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bringing Discs on the plane?

Inn0va

Birdie Member
Im heading to cali in june and plan on bringing my discs. Im allready bringing my carry on, which is my main suitcase since im only spending 4 days out there. MY bag will not fit in the small suitcase, and dont want to spend the extra money to bring a bigger suitcase. Has any one brought their bag including a carry-on onto the plane? Im flying virgin airlines.

Just see what you can fit in your golf bag... Its only four days. You could always buy some clothes in Cali.

You should be able to carry your bag as your 'personal item' along with your suitcase.

Just carry your discs in an ammo pouch, and when people ask you say "It's not a purse, it's a satchel!"

When I traveled with my discs, I just folded up my bag and tossed only my essential discs into my carry-on suitcase. The security guards were somewhat perplexed by the discs when they inspected my bag, but ultimately let them through.

play with less discs? stuff only 2-3 discs in the suitcase. forget the bag.

or

i've never traveled with discs, but i would use a small disc bag, take out a few discs and make it my carry-on.

but you mentioned your bag is too big to be used as a carry-on. maybe borrow a smaller bag from a friend?

or

if the bag folds up well, stuff it in the suitcase with a few discs. then in your actual carry-on bag, stuff a disc or two along with whatever else is in your regular carry-on.

I took my Fade Crunch bag on the plane and just used it as my personal item. It had about 7 discs in it as well as my netbook, book, notepad and some goodies. I wasn't questioned about it once.

play with less discs? stuff only 2-3 discs in the suitcase. forget the bag.

or

i've never traveled with discs, but i would use a small disc bag, take out a few discs and make it my carry-on.

but you mentioned your bag is too big to be used as a carry-on. maybe borrow a smaller bag from a friend?

or

if the bag folds up well, stuff it in the suitcase with a few discs. then in your actual carry-on bag, stuff a disc or two along with whatever else is in your regular carry-on.

My carry-on is my suitcase, ill call the airport/airline. Maybe ill stuff my laptop and other stuff and call it my personal item/purse :p

I've carried them a couple of times on a plane. I just went through with a full bag of discs (20+) attached to my straps on my back. They didn't say much, they were a little confused through the security scanner and I had to explain. It was nothing.

personal item all the way. I got the eye from security once but smiled and said 'frisbees' and they didn't think twice about it.

Brought my entire bag to the airport the day before and walked it up to security and asked if there'd be a problem with me boarding with it as a carry on. They looked thru it and said no problem. 15 discs with no issues in both directions.

I brought my Revolution mini Pro bag with quads with about 10 discs.
My backpack was my carry on and dg bag was my personal item.

If you take your bag, make sure it's airplane friendly before you try it. I keep a small pocket knife in my DG bag for things that come up while playing. I know a lot of people keep a lot of not-quite-legal items in their bags for various reasons, just make sure you're good to go.

I hate to say this, but if you call it "Frisbee Golf: and call them Frisbees, it seems like its easier to explain, and less of a hassle.

When ever I mail discs, there is this one older lady that works at the post office, and she always feels the envelope and ask, "What is in here?" with a little bit of the tude. I just smile, and say, "Oh , its a Frisbee, I collect them and trade them", and let it go at that. I usually just get a look, and go on my way. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting to a big song and dance with people,trying to explain what disc golf is, so I just say "Frisbee", so I can get on my way.

Samuel Jackson's viewpoint on you calling them frisbees:

I have had it with these M******F****** frisbees on this M******F****** plane! ;)

I hate to say this, but if you call it "Frisbee Golf: and call them Frisbees, it seems like its easier to explain, and less of a hassle.

When ever I mail discs, there is this one older lady that works at the post office, and she always feels the envelope and ask, "What is in here?" with a little bit of the tude. I just smile, and say, "Oh , its a Frisbee, I collect them and trade them", and let it go at that. I usually just get a look, and go on my way. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting to a big song and dance with people,trying to explain what disc golf is, so I just say "Frisbee", so I can get on my way.

sad, but true. kinda like the song. But it does make it much easier to have a quick conversation. "Shut it, lady, it's a frisbee and I ain't sayin' no more". Frisbee ftw.

i fly with just a backpack and my disc bag and put the discs in the overhead, good luck if you got a tourney bag, my 18 discs barely fit up there.

Latest posts