• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me pick a cart

dmoore1998

Eagle Member
My friends have convinced me that I'm too old to go without a cart (I'm only 40, they suck). That said, they're probably right. I've done a little research, but I always wonder if there are other options I don't know about (like small companies doing amazing things that just don't show well in internet searches), or if people have some specific experiences I should factor in.

Some things to consider:
-I'm not worried about the cost. I want good value for my money, but if the greatest cart ever invented is out there for $1,000...point me to it.
-I'm 6'6", so seat height matters. I'm about 240lbs, which I think is fine for most seats, but something to keep in mind, specifically that I am not skinny and seat width may be a factor for a little comfort?
-I'm moderately handy, but not with metal (I'm fine with wood, I'm handy enough to put together some PVC stuff, etc). If some of my wants/needs can be satisfied with a mod, that's great with me. If I can't find anything I'm set on, I'll probably take an old pressure washer cart I have, build a wooden box on it, and use that (but it's a bit heavy, and the wood is only going to make it heavier...so who knows how that would work out).

Carts I've considered and I THINK I have eliminated (but if you feel strongly, I can maybe be convinced).

Ridge Roller-Looks well built but I think the seat is about 19" which I think is a bit low for me.

Rovic-I have a ball golf cart similar to this that I could tinker with if I wanted to. I THINK ultimately I'm looking for a self-contained cart rather than a backpack carrier...or at least the option to make it a self-contained cart if I want to.

Zuca Compact-Same issue as the Ridge Roller, too short.

Zuca Backpack LG-The height and width of this seat seems like a great fit for me, but I don't think there's a specific bag insert that goes into it to make it a self-contained unit (correct me if I'm wrong). If there were an insert for this like with the regular Backpack cart, this would probably be at the top of the list.

What I'd like:

Something with a seat. I'd like the flexibility to carry a LOT of discs and use it for disc-storage in a way. I've got 10 acres and a big field at the back of the property I can go throw in. I'd like to be able to load up everything and go back there. This isn't a necessity, but certainly helps (even if I have to make a modded rack for something to switch in and out).

Onto the contenders (again, if there's something I should consider not on this list, tell me please)

Zuca All Terrain/Disc Golf Cart-I think these are the same thing just with different accessories? The various disc golf cart sites all have different issues that make really nailing things down somewhat difficult. Pros are the sheer disc storage and lots of accessories to customize it a bit, con is the narrow seat width (has anyone found this to be a problem?)

Zuca Backpack/Trekker-Pro is that I can use it for the backpack cart if I like or the Trekker insert for a self-contained cart. Lots of color options. Con is the lack of additional disc storage (maybe I'd build a PVC rack or something to store my discs and just swap the rack and bag in and out? I think I could get 2 levels of discs in a rack in the cart?) Can also buy just the backpack cart now and see if I want to put the Trekker insert in as I have a workable backpack.

Zuca Transit-Pro is the discs are higher. Wide seat. Con is lifting the seat to access the discs (Does this just get super old? Will the seat stay up when I'm rolling it if I want it to?). I'd also love to know what the insert bag sits on. I can see a side rail in photos, but what is under the bag and is it sturdy enough to not flop around when pulling/pushing?

I'll probably only need 15-20 discs when I'm playing, but again, having something to hold all my discs would be great for field work or league meet-ups where people often trade around.

Carts with short seats....how short? Could you pad it to make it tall enough?

Backpack carts...don't dismiss the convertability...being able to take your bag off the cart and carry it when needed should be considered. For example, you go to a tournament at a course you haven't played. You get there and find out it really isn't cart friendly. What do you do? If the cart is an all-in-one...you are stuck. If the cart is the type you attach your bag to, you just take the bag off and play.

Disclaimer...I have the Rovic RV1D for the ability to take my bag off and carry it if needed.

But bottom line...YOU need to determine what you need in a cart and then find the cart for that or tweak a cart to meet your needs. One thing that really needs to be considered above all else - can you fit it in your vehicle?

I have a decent sized truck, so pretty much anything will fit in the back (or in the back seat even with the seats folded up). If I'm heading to a course I haven't played before, I'd probably just toss a backpack or bag in the truck too. I don't mind taking the discs out and tossing them from a cart into a backpack and vice versa.

What I'm trying to avoid with the backpack part is...I have a backpack...I'm fine having a cart that can hold a backpack and also has an insert available. What I'd like to avoid is getting a backpack cart only with no insert available, and then deciding that I hate that. Assuming most of these...if I absolutely hate them as self-contained units...could be pretty easily converted to just throw my backpack in.

It looks like the Compact and RR seats are about 19". The others are pushing 22-26". I could probably pad up a 22" just fine to be comfortable, but not the 19".

The real questions come down to:

-Does the Transit insert back ride securely? How is it supported? Does the seat stay up if I flip it up after we tee off and don't need to use the seat for a few holes? Or will I constantly be flipping it up and down every time?

-Does the Backpack LG cart have an insert bag? I didn't see one, but the layout of the Zuca site meant it took a bit to figure out the Trekker/Backpack were the same thing (same for the Disc Golf Cart and AT...I think those are the same).

-Has anyone found the AT seat to be way too narrow? It says about 10" from what I've seen...with others being closer to 14-16". My backside is closer to the 14" mark when I'm sitting.

And then...are there any game-changing mods that people think I should consider to the point of choosing one cart over the other for the ability to mod it a certain way? Or to your point on backpacks...is there a specific backpack worth investing in that makes a specific cart amazing (I have an Innova Adventure backpack, it was cheap and a simple way to move discs that wasn't a shoulder strap bag...but I'm certainly open to great bag/cart combinations).

No way I can answer all of your questions or make your decision for you.

I have the Zuca backpack cart. I used to run a bag in the cart that just stayed in the cart all of the time and would just pull discs and stick them in another backpack if I wasn't going to use the cart. It wasn't a big deal doing it that way.

I have since installed the Trekker insert into the cart and am pretty happy with it compared to the backpack that I used to use in the cart.

The seat is fine for me for the height and width but the depth front to back is a little lacking and I'm not a big guy. Fortunately I seldom use the cart to sit on anyways so it really isn't an issue for me.

I have the standard Zuca putter pouch for now but I see there is something called the power pocket pouch that is sort of intriguing that I may look into.

https://infinitediscs.com/Products/Disc-Golf-Cart/18146/Power-Pocket-Putter-Pouch

Random question...anyone know if the transit insert bag is available for purchase anywhere? If so, it might be worth getting the lg backpack cart and using that insert with it on a stand.

Zuca Backpack LG-The height and width of this seat seems like a great fit for me, but I don't think there's a specific bag insert that goes into it to make it a self-contained unit (correct me if I'm wrong). If there were an insert for this like with the regular Backpack cart, this would probably be at the top of the list.

Zuca Backpack/Trekker-Pro is that I can use it for the backpack cart if I like or the Trekker insert for a self-contained cart. Lots of color options. Con is the lack of additional disc storage (maybe I'd build a PVC rack or something to store my discs and just swap the rack and bag in and out? I think I could get 2 levels of discs in a rack in the cart?) Can also buy just the backpack cart now and see if I want to put the Trekker insert in as I have a workable backpack.

Hoo boy, I'm happy to make your choice harder: I was in touch with Zuca a week or two ago, asking specifically about a bag insert for the LG - they told me they're about to release one! I'm not sure if they have an actual date, but you can ask them via their website.

I have seen racks made for Zuca carts that provide for multiple levels. One place I saw them is on the fabulous "dgmods" website...
https://dgmods.com/racks

Personally, I'm really happy with my Zuca Backpack LG. I bought it specifically for the flexibility it offers me. I bag a lot of courses, sometimes 6-7 in a single day. On those bagging days, it's not unusual for me to use the cart on a few 9's or 18's, and carry the backpack on the others. Whether or not a course is "cart-friendly", I'm ready.

Good luck - I really enjoyed reading your post and following your thought process.

PS- I'm 64 and play with a lot of 40-somethings who give me crap about my cart. They can keep yammering away - I'll sit down and watch them tire themselves out.

Hoo boy, I'm happy to make your choice harder: I was in touch with Zuca a week or two ago, asking specifically about a bag insert for the LG - they told me they're about to release one! I'm not sure if they have an actual date, but you can ask them via their website.

I have seen racks made for Zuca carts that provide for multiple levels. One place I saw them is on the fabulous "dgmods" website...
https://dgmods.com/racks

Personally, I'm really happy with my Zuca Backpack LG. I bought it specifically for the flexibility it offers me. I bag a lot of courses, sometimes 6-7 in a single day. On those bagging days, it's not unusual for me to use the cart on a few 9's or 18's, and carry the backpack on the others. Whether or not a course is "cart-friendly", I'm ready.

Good luck - I really enjoyed reading your post and following your thought process.

PS- I'm 64 and play with a lot of 40-somethings who give me crap about my cart. They can keep yammering away - I'll sit down and watch them tire themselves out.

In a way that complicates things, it also potentially makes them much simpler. The Backpack LG is the cart frame I like the most (it's the biggest so the most room to make the inside how I want it, plus the combined seat height, width, depth is the largest which I care about). I could build my own rack for the inside, or SRC does sharp racks for the inside of Zuca carts and they are near where I live (from dgmods.com).

I've got an email out to Zuca about the LG insert. If they say one is coming, then this decision is probably over and I just need to find a backpack to put into the cart until the insert comes out.

Anyone have suggestions for a good match for the Backpack LG Cart? My first impression is a Combat Ranger as they are boxy and look like they fill the space (and they have color combinations to go with the bright orange cart I'm probably getting).

One other thing to consider with a cart is how you will "move" it. I've seen carts where the user could only pull it...pushing it just didn't work. My Rovic RV1D can be pushed or pulled and I've had to do both on the same course.

One 'fault' with the Rovic is that there are two straps on the bottom that are intended to hook to your backpack straps and hold the bag tighter. My bag still swings a bit - I'm still trying to find the 'sweet spot' where the straps will hold my bag perfectly still (or close to it).

I have a decent sized truck, so pretty much anything will fit in the back (or in the back seat even with the seats folded up). If I'm heading to a course I haven't played before, I'd probably just toss a backpack or bag in the truck too. I don't mind taking the discs out and tossing them from a cart into a backpack and vice versa.

What I'm trying to avoid with the backpack part is...I have a backpack...I'm fine having a cart that can hold a backpack and also has an insert available. What I'd like to avoid is getting a backpack cart only with no insert available, and then deciding that I hate that. Assuming most of these...if I absolutely hate them as self-contained units...could be pretty easily converted to just throw my backpack in.

It looks like the Compact and RR seats are about 19". The others are pushing 22-26". I could probably pad up a 22" just fine to be comfortable, but not the 19".

The real questions come down to:

-Does the Transit insert back ride securely? How is it supported? Does the seat stay up if I flip it up after we tee off and don't need to use the seat for a few holes? Or will I constantly be flipping it up and down every time?

-Does the Backpack LG cart have an insert bag? I didn't see one, but the layout of the Zuca site meant it took a bit to figure out the Trekker/Backpack were the same thing (same for the Disc Golf Cart and AT...I think those are the same).

-Has anyone found the AT seat to be way too narrow? It says about 10" from what I've seen...with others being closer to 14-16". My backside is closer to the 14" mark when I'm sitting.

And then...are there any game-changing mods that people think I should consider to the point of choosing one cart over the other for the ability to mod it a certain way? Or to your point on backpacks...is there a specific backpack worth investing in that makes a specific cart amazing (I have an Innova Adventure backpack, it was cheap and a simple way to move discs that wasn't a shoulder strap bag...but I'm certainly open to great bag/cart combinations).

I started with the LG backpack cart and a Millennium Flak4. Worked well, but I found the cart to be too big for my liking. I was always clipping trees and stumps with the cart while walking past them - my home courses is a wooded course. I downsized to the standard backpack cart and my Grip BX - fits well, but too tight for it to be practical to take in and out at the course.

When the Trekker came out for the backpack cart, I picked one up and haven't looked back. You can easily fit 20 across the bottom, and the top pocket is plenty big enough for another row of discs + putter pouch. I'm 6'0. If the seat were 1" shorter, it would be optimal comfort for me. It sounds like the Trekker would fit your applications well. I cannot speak for the Transit, but a lot of the mods I've seen involve chopping the legs to make it shorter, which seems counter-intuitive for you.

I guess the "Trekker insert" for the LG cart sounds like the best option for you if you like the oversized cart. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Trekker & backpack cart.

Just got an email back from Zuca Customer Service saying they plan to release an insert for the Backpack LG cart, which is called the Transit Disc Golf Bag...which is also the name they called the insert-only that goes in the Transit Cart within the same email (because I asked about that insert being available separately). That makes me suspect they're going to offer the Transit Bag Insert for sale individually...and that would fit in the LG cart...rather than a full Insert like the Trekker is. That's purely speculation based on the naming convention they used in a single email though...but it does seem to confirm what others are also hearing that there will be SOMETHING available as a stand-alone bag that goes into the LG cart.

That's good enough for me, going to think on it for a few more days just to make sure I'm good with the decision...but I think it's the Backpack LG cart for me...probably a new backpack to go in it...then I'll see if I'm wanting whatever insert they release for it later this year (because I need a high-quality backpack anyways).

I started with the backpack, and then bought the cart the next year. The bag is an Upper Park Rebel, which I bought because I love the layout with slots up top. It fits the LG just fine (the drink holders wedge in and that holds the bag in 100% secure). There's no question that a bigger "square" backpack would maximize the cart space better,but I love the bag, and I love the cart.

Keep one other thing in mind regarding capacity: once you have the cart, you may want a disc holder for the pole. Depending on what you go with,you could be storing anywhere from 1 (with a clip), 2-3 (the Zuca product), to 5-6 (the Infinite Power Pocket), and others in between. I personally think the Power Pocket is overkill,but regardless, if you put some on the pole that means you don't need a max size bag down below.

Which all brings you back to how many discs you generally carry, and finding the optimal carry for them.

if your friends tell you you're too old to play without a cart, and you're 40 it might be time for new friends. do they watch "Matlock" after a round, too? :)

The ability to sit down is nice but I don't see that many people actually sitting on their carts, I never sit on mine. In a long back up you don't want to sit down and get stiff anyway.

I've seen RidgeRoller R3's with risers to raise the seat up a bit. The R3 is the best built cart you can buy. It makes Zuca feel flimsy and cheap by comparison.

I really liked my Clicgear/mahal set up too but didn't like the seat for the golf style carts.

What about the Zuca Transit Disc Golf Cart? Seems to fill all of your needs/wants. The insert holds 25 discs plus you could even throw some in on the bottom. Seat height and width should work as well.

TRANSIT CART
Sturdy, patented frame doubles as a portable seat rated to safely support up to 300 lbs

Integrated Insert Bag comfortably carries up to 25 disc golf discs and convenient zippered compartments and pockets secure all your course necessities.

Go off road in all seasons with tubeless foam performance tires that keep on rolling over rocks, sand, snow and rough terrain

Removable wheels allow for more compact storage in back seats and closets

Gear platform to carry additional load or accessory pouches/cooler (sold separately)

Sealed wheel bearings mean low maintenance and a smooth ride

51" Telescoping handle

I ordered the lg backpack cart earlier this week. Definitely considered the Transit but couldn't figure out how the bag was secured exactly and wasn't sure if the seat would stay up if I wanted it to. Ultimately, the secondary market seems pretty decent, so if I hate what I got, I'll sell it and try something else...or I'll build something next winter when there's nothing else to do.

I've seen RidgeRoller R3's with risers to raise the seat up a bit. The R3 is the best built cart you can buy. It makes Zuca feel flimsy and cheap by comparison.

I really liked my Clicgear/mahal set up too but didn't like the seat for the golf style carts.

I like my crosslap cubus... similar to the R3 but cheaper. but harder to find.

Latest posts