• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Zuca and why?

ray1970

* Ace Member *
My wife wants a cart but deciding which one is like asking her where she wants to go for dinner.

I think she kind of has it narrowed down to the Trekker or the EZ. (Two totally different concepts, I know.)

I had a backpack cart and eventually bought the Trekker bag for it so I'm familiar with the setup.

A buddy has an EZ cart and all I know is he wore holes in two different bags using it and anything he stashes in that underneath area seems to fall out several times during a round.

Which Zuca do you run and why?

Given the two choices I would lean towards the EZ for versatility. It is a nice option to simply add/remove your bag as needed depending on course and or conditions. I have the Zuca Backpack cart for this reason and my Grip C backpack fits in there easily and securely. Recent trip to Traverse City was about 50/50 split with and without cart. My $.02.

Can't help with the cart. Dinner? Tell her a couple of places you want to go so you can eliminate those two immediately.

Semi related, but I have a short list of places she doesn't want to go so if she gets overly indecisive and just tells me to pick then I suggest a place she doesn't like which then forces her to have to make a decision.

Can't help with the cart. Dinner? Tell her a couple of places you want to go so you can eliminate those two immediately.

The trick is to say, "guess where I am taking you to dinner"

Whatever she guesses first is where you are going to dinner that night. Everybody wins.

As far as the cart goes:

I have a compact cart that I really enjoy. It is light and maneuverable. It has a built in seat, which was a must for me. The main section can hold up to 15 discs, and if you get an infinite power pocket you could hold up to 23-25 easily. I personally only use 14-16 discs, so the compact fits my needs perfectly.

Whatever she guesses first is where you are going to dinner that night. Everybody wins.

As far as the cart goes:

I have a compact cart that I really enjoy. It is light and maneuverable. It has a built in seat, which was a must for me. The main section can hold up to 15 discs, and if you get an infinite power pocket you could hold up to 23-25 easily. I personally only use 14-16 discs, so the compact fits my needs perfectly.

Wisdom!

I run the Backpack LG with a UPD Rebel in it. I go on long day trips to bag new courses, and I wanted the flexibility to adapt on the spot.

Zero complaints.

mind-blown-gif-7.gif

My wife wants a cart but deciding which one is like asking her where she wants to go for dinner.

I think she kind of has it narrowed down to the Trekker or the EZ. (Two totally different concepts, I know.)

I had a backpack cart and eventually bought the Trekker bag for it so I'm familiar with the setup.

A buddy has an EZ cart and all I know is he wore holes in two different bags using it and anything he stashes in that underneath area seems to fall out several times during a round.

Which Zuca do you run and why?

I'm an hour north of you guys and because I play mountain courses and Front Range courses I wanted the flexibility to switch from cart to bag quickly. I had the AT and I also have a Grip EQ bag, and it was annoying switching discs back and forth. I have the EZ and couldn't be happier.

I'm an hour north of you guys and because I play mountain courses and Front Range courses I wanted the flexibility to switch from cart to bag quickly. I had the AT and I also have a Grip EQ bag, and it was annoying switching discs back and forth. I have the EZ and couldn't be happier.

Thanks. We finally pinned down some features that she did and did not want and she decided to give the Trekker a try so we have one ordered.

I figure since it is essentially just the regular backpack cart she also has the option to remove the Trekker bag and just toss her Grip bag in it if she wants.

She went with the purple frame so if it ends up not being her cup of tea I hope it isn't going to be a hard item to sell. Lol.

Thanks. We finally pinned down some features that she did and did not want and she decided to give the Trekker a try so we have one ordered.

I figure since it is essentially just the regular backpack cart she also has the option to remove the Trekker bag and just toss her Grip bag in it if she wants.

She went with the purple frame so if it ends up not being her cup of tea I hope it isn't going to be a hard item to sell. Lol.

I'll be interested to hear your comments about how easy the Trekker bag insert is to install and remove - and how well it organizes discs and other things, and how well made it is....(you know, a full review....).

I've been tempted to buy the LG insert for my backpack cart, but haven't pulled the trigger. I guess its sort of like the optional fenders: when I bought the cart I was SURE I'd be adding fenders. And two seasons later, I haven't really found the need for them.

I'll be interested to hear your comments about how easy the Trekker bag insert is to install and remove - and how well it organizes discs and other things, and how well made it is....(you know, a full review....).

I've been tempted to buy the LG insert for my backpack cart, but haven't pulled the trigger. I guess its sort of like the optional fenders: when I bought the cart I was SURE I'd be adding fenders. And two seasons later, I haven't really found the need for them.

Well, I can do that for you before her cart even arrives because I used to use the backpack cart and put the Trekker insert in mine when they were first made available.

The Trekker bag fits the frame nicely. Going off of memory (I sold my cart probably a year ago) there are two zippers that run up to posts in the front and a couple of small velcro straps that basically hold the back into the frame so taking it in and out is easy. In fact, it is probably more difficult putting a standard backpack in and out of the cart than taking the Trekker insert in and out.

The Trekker bag itself is well made but really doesn't have much structure to it and instead kind of relies on the cart frame for its structure if that makes sense. I do recall the zippers for the compartments didn't seem overly robust but I never had an issue with them.

Discs go in the bottom and you can probably put twenty ish down there depending on your mix of putters, mids, and drivers.

The compartment on top could be used to carry discs but they won't fit vertically and the bottom of the compartment is kind of soft and could sag into the main disc compartment below if you put too much weight in it. I used that compartment for stashing things like jackets and gloves and snacks or whatever and it worked well for that type of stuff.

There are also a couple of smaller storage pockets on either side that work well for smaller items like whale sacs and minis.

There is a small compartment on the top of the bag accessible from the front if you lift the seat that works great for wallets, keys, a cell phone, etc.

I thought it was a pretty functional setup but turns out I just find it easier to grab my Grip bag and go.

I like the standard one. As a tall guy I don't want to have to bend down to far to sit down.

I ruled out the backpack cart because my back pack need to be replaced and I didn't want to buy a cart and a new bag.

Same reason I ruled out the Delta cart. Seat was too low.

After reading a lot of stuff here, and seeing friends' setups with the sort of 'standard' Zuca carts, I think I'm going to grab a Transit cart/bag combo. I haven't completely convinced myself yet, but I'm leaning that way pretty hard.

I've been resisting the urge for a long time. I always said something like, "I like carrying a big ol' heavy bag! It's how I ensure I work up a good lather," etc. (I've got a Latitude E3, and it not only carries the usual stuff, but the top pocket holds quite a lot of liquid refreshments. So it feels like it's full of cinder blocks when you go to hoist it. Most people, trying to be nice on those occasions when my bag is left a ways behind me, or whatever, will go to grab it, then get that *oof* look before they set it down and get a bigger bite on the thing... :D)

Anyway, I'm more and more convinced it's time to make the move. My rationale is multi-faceted. First, the wear and tear on the back and shoulders cannot be overstated anymore. I'm almost 55 - it's only going to get worse.
Second, I can keep my E3 for the courses that aren't very cart-friendly, or I can pull out my old rig with the quad-straps, even, if/when weight is a consideration.

But I think the main attraction is the seat. The Transit has a nice, wide one. I don't sit a ton when I play, but lately, I've caught myself looking at all these people around me, before, during, and after the round, stone-cold-chilling on their various carts - and I feel something like jealousy.

So, I guess the real question is: heather grey, black, or camoflauge? :D All suggestions, feedback, or criticisms welcome.

I like the Transit with having the discs up high. Not sure about how I feel about having to lift the seat every single time I pull a disc in it out. Also, that storage space underneath is pretty much the exact same as the EZ cart I think. I play with a guy with an EZ and stuff is constantly falling out of that storage area all throughout the course.

I went away from the cart and sold mine in favor of just sticking with a backpack but honestly I am starting to notice that dragging that heavy thing around and picking it up and putting it down is beginning to wear on me so I could see myself giving a cart another go in the near future.

I liked the look of the Transit for the exact reason that the discs were up high, and therefore easy to reach. But I also wondered if that made the cart top-heavy. And yeah - lift the seat every time? That's like having a Ridge Roller R3.

And the bottom storage seems difficult to use, unless you're strapping everything in.

The Transit and the Trekker appear to be pretty much the same cart...with the disc and storage areas flipped.

I bag multiple courses on day trips and alternate between backpack (UPD Rebel) and cart (Rebel on Backpack LG cart). Last time out, I played 72 holes on five pretty hilly courses - so it was backpack all day. By the final 18, I couldn't believe how tired I was from picking up that damned pack every time. It was a huge difference from days where I can use the cart exclusively, or at least mix it in for some rounds.

Thanks for the thoughts, Ray and Mac.

I also liked the high-riding discs aspect of it. A cool little thing they thought of was to have a velcro strip across the flap-lid of the bag, and then on the underside of the seat, so when they're fastened, at least I won't have to lift the seat AND THEN the bag-top to grab a disc.

To be honest, I didn't even think about the repetition and potential hassle of that part of it. It might get old after a while, but I think the trade-off is probably worth it.

The bottom storage will just hold beer and water, maybe a jacket during the cold-ish months. I'll find a way to secure those items. Or I'll rig some kind of soft cooler under there and be done with it.

I think you've helped me decide. And I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Thanks for the thoughts, Ray and Mac.

I also liked the high-riding discs aspect of it. A cool little thing they thought of was to have a velcro strip across the flap-lid of the bag, and then on the underside of the seat, so when they're fastened, at least I won't have to lift the seat AND THEN the bag-top to grab a disc.

To be honest, I didn't even think about the repetition and potential hassle of that part of it. It might get old after a while, but I think the trade-off is probably worth it.

The bottom storage will just hold beer and water, maybe a jacket during the cold-ish months. I'll find a way to secure those items. Or I'll rig some kind of soft cooler under there and be done with it.

I think you've helped me decide. And I appreciate it! :thumbup:

I did look at the Transit when my wife was trying to decide. I did notice the velcro holding the lid on the bag to the underside of the cart lid and thought that was pretty smart.

Funny you mentioned beer, water, and jackets going in the storage area below. Those are exactly the things that I keep having to pick up behind my buddy when they fall out. Lol. Admittedly, he makes zero effort to secure those items so perhaps some sort of bungee or small soft side cooler will go a long way to keep things in place.

After reading a lot of stuff here, and seeing friends' setups with the sort of 'standard' Zuca carts, I think I'm going to grab a Transit cart/bag combo. I haven't completely convinced myself yet, but I'm leaning that way pretty hard.

I've been resisting the urge for a long time. I always said something like, "I like carrying a big ol' heavy bag! It's how I ensure I work up a good lather," etc. (I've got a Latitude E3, and it not only carries the usual stuff, but the top pocket holds quite a lot of liquid refreshments. So it feels like it's full of cinder blocks when you go to hoist it. Most people, trying to be nice on those occasions when my bag is left a ways behind me, or whatever, will go to grab it, then get that *oof* look before they set it down and get a bigger bite on the thing... :D)

Anyway, I'm more and more convinced it's time to make the move. My rationale is multi-faceted. First, the wear and tear on the back and shoulders cannot be overstated anymore. I'm almost 55 - it's only going to get worse.
Second, I can keep my E3 for the courses that aren't very cart-friendly, or I can pull out my old rig with the quad-straps, even, if/when weight is a consideration.

But I think the main attraction is the seat. The Transit has a nice, wide one. I don't sit a ton when I play, but lately, I've caught myself looking at all these people around me, before, during, and after the round, stone-cold-chilling on their various carts - and I feel something like jealousy.

So, I guess the real question is: heather grey, black, or camoflauge? :D All suggestions, feedback, or criticisms welcome.

Anecdotally, I played with a guy last weekend pulling a Transit cart. I did check it out and was pretty impressed. I would like the seat to be a touch deeper, but it really checked a lot of the boxes I was looking for. Before the end of the round, he had one of the bolts on the front, top support cross brace fall out and the bar was flopping around. I don't know if this is a common issue or isolated. Just tossing out my experience for ya.

Anecdotally, I played with a guy last weekend pulling a Transit cart. I did check it out and was pretty impressed. I would like the seat to be a touch deeper, but it really checked a lot of the boxes I was looking for. Before the end of the round, he had one of the bolts on the front, top support cross brace fall out and the bar was flopping around. I don't know if this is a common issue or isolated. Just tossing out my experience for ya.

Tighten all bolts.

And make sure the tiny set screws in the axle hub knobs are seated correctly. I lost a knob that way; Zuca Customer Service replaced at no charge. I don't have to remove the wheels, so I have replaced the original knobs with locking nuts (size M12 if you're interested). I carry spares because I'm superstitious.

Latest posts