• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zuca LG Backpack Trekker Insert

dmoore1998

Eagle Member
This may be old news to some, but I certainly hadn't heard it yet so wanted to spread the word. The long-awaited (for me) Zuca LG Backpack Trekker Insert is now available! I've been religiously checking the Zuca site weekly to see when it would release...still not a word on their actual site about it...but online retailers seem to have them in stock.

I've seen them on Gotta Go Gotta Throw as well as 1010Discs. Just put my order in, but for anyone curious/interested I'll let you know what it's like after I get it (the description/photos online are sparse, they show a disc sticking up from the upper rear of the insert without showing what's back there).

I'm slightly disappointed as I thought it might be a double-decker disc holder like the disc golf cart...but it doesn't look like it (looks like one row of discs below and storage above...which could probably be used for discs but not a dedicated rack from the looks of it).

If anyone already has one, I'd love to hear a review/feature/thoughts on it.

Very interesting - I've been checking Zuca's website too. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be interested to know your reaction and experience with it. I was hoping - against odds - for a design that holds the discs higher than the base of the cart (more like the Transit).

Very interesting - I've been checking Zuca's website too. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be interested to know your reaction and experience with it. I was hoping - against odds - for a design that holds the discs higher than the base of the cart (more like the Transit).

I was hoping for that too...in no small part because when I asked Zuca about the possibility of an insert bag before I bought my cart the customer service rep called it the "BackPack LG Transit Bag Insert". Wasn't sure how they were going to accomplish that given the placement of the upper brace on the LG Backpack Cart. I'm a bit relieved in that I didn't want to lift the seat every time...but I thought maybe it would be discs up top and storage below...but alas no luck!

I was hoping for that too...in no small part because when I asked Zuca about the possibility of an insert bag before I bought my cart the customer service rep called it the "BackPack LG Transit Bag Insert". Wasn't sure how they were going to accomplish that given the placement of the upper brace on the LG Backpack Cart. I'm a bit relieved in that I didn't want to lift the seat every time...but I thought maybe it would be discs up top and storage below...but alas no luck!
The single photo available on the GGGT website has me curious about that one disc sticking up like it's in a putter pocket. Seems like a tight fit, between the seat/lid and the pole...I have questions.

I had the trekker insert for my regular backpack cart. I can't imagine the one for the large cart being much different. Not sure about that disc sticking up that you refer to. Might have to look for pictures. Maybe the cart in the photo just has a regular putter pocket on the pole?

The summary ont he page at 1010discs provides a description:

Note this only fits the LG model.

Convert any Backpack Cart LG to an integrated Disc Golf Cart with this versatile heavy-duty Trekker LG Insert Bag. The perfect companion to your Backpack Cart LG with multifunctional storage and zippered pockets.

Main storage area holds 25 – 30 discs.
Putter pocket located on top holds 2 putters for easy access.
Roomy gear storage pocket in upper half of bag.
Multiple zippered pockets to hold cell phone, score card and other items requiring quick access.
Note: This is for the insert only. The cart and discs in the pictures are used for illustration purposes only. This insert will only fit the LG backpack cart model.

So it sounds like there's a putter pocket ("holds 2") built in. The picture ("for illustration purposes only") shows a disc that I'm guessing is half way up and out of the pocket, just to show the pocket's there. You will have to lift open the seat/lid to access the putter pocket, and the stored putters will be below the seat.

That's a good use of the upper part of the bag. The one attraction of the Transit cart is that it carries discs up high, making them much easier to reach, replace, and keep organized during a round.

It will be interesting to see if the putter pocket reduces the need for the pole-mounted version. Or it just now prvides a larger number of discs that are easy to reach.

I honestly can't imagine putting my putters where it looks like that putter pocket is. The whole point of a putter pocket is that it's easy to quickly access every time I need a putter. I don't want to open the seat every time I need a putter. Still might be a great use of space, but I can see maybe putting some specialty discs there I won't often use (like floating discs). It's hard for me to imagine that putter pocket replacing a pole-mounted version...even if just for ease of access on a pole mount.

The biggest advantages to me over having my Combat Ranger bag in my cart are:
-Utilizes the full width of the cart where my bag does not
-No need to open the seat up to access my storage which is on the top of my bag

My biggest questions are what does the bottom disc-holder look like? Is it a well-made rack or something less?

Fingers crossed and Postal Service accommodating I should find out tomorrow.

Ok, bag got here a few hours ago and I put it in my cart over lunch. Keep in mind these are my "sitting in my garage and haven't actually taken it out on the course" thoughts.

-Soft bag, meaning no real structure to the bottom where you put the discs. Nothing different from my expectation, just pointing it out. There is a foam "wedge" at the back to angle the discs toward the front. The front lip of the bag is high enough I don't THINK my discs will roll out. But I may build a little PVC rack in there (for other reasons coming up as well). If I don't built a PVC rack, I'll surely throw a piece of pipe insulation in the front just to make sure discs don't fall out the front.

-The upper section appears large enough to hold discs as well (meaning, it IS large enough to hold discs, it just may not be ideal due to the sagging). The zippered area folds under, not over, so the discs would be sitting on the outer section of the bag. Since there is no structure to the bag, it causes the floor of the upper area to sag, which decreases the space for removing lower discs (this is the other reason to build a rack on the lower section, to support the upper section a bit more.

-The putter pouch is a non-zippered slot at the back of the bag. You could MAYBE squeeze 2 putters in there. I have a thick cushion on my seat which restricts the seat movement a bit which makes lifting to access the very back a pain. As expected I crammed a floating putter and a floating driver back there. I would not put a disc there I expected to use.

-2 nice little zippered section on the sides and an outer pocket for a mini or something. I have saddlebags on my cart, so I just stuffed some supplies in there I won't use much (cash in one for leagues, the other has fix-it parts for my cart just in case). Nice pockets, they're just covered by my saddle bags. Not big enough to hold putters. Seems like a real missed opportunity that neither side has a putter pouch.

-I slid 25 discs into the bottom section (approximately 15 drivers and 10 mids, so lots of room). I think I could get another 20-25 discs up top if I wanted to. The question will be whether I can still get discs into the top if the bottom has a rack to prevent the upper discs from stealing some of the room below.

-Most of the time, the top will just be storage for me. With 25 discs below, another 6-8 in a putter pouch, and potentially 5-10 more in my saddle bags...that's well over 40 discs.

-There's a small zippered section above the top section. Not very wide or very deep (can't get a disc in there due to depth). Good place to stash a wallet/phone though and appears to be waterproof.

Latest posts