• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Broken disc in/out of basket

AMS210

This question was posed today and I had no answer, please advise. Player throws disc. Said disc enters basket properly. Disc cracks in half. A) If both pieces fall out of the bottom of the cage what is the ruling? B) One piece falls out of the bottom of the cage and the other stays in, ruling on that? Thanks and I know it's a very unlikely scenario, but something I'd like to know.

i would say since rules are basically enforced by the other players on your card, ie. foot faults... I would say it would be up to your fellow cardmates to decide. So be nice to your fellow cardmates ;)

whatever the biggest broken piece is what gets played so if the bigger part of the cracked disc was in the basket I believe it would be considered to be a made putt but if it fell through then needs to be marked under the basket and putt again.

If your disc breaks into pieces hitting a tree I am pretty sure you play the biggest piece as your lie so assume it applies to the basket and putting.

Largest piece is considered the position to play. When Cyclones were popular back in the 90s, if they broke they tended to break virtually right down the middle making it hard to tell. In that case, benefit of the doubt to the thrower.

If the putt properly enters the cage area from the inside, wouldn't this situation be the same as if you threw a floppy disc, that went into the bottom cage, but squeezed through the bottom? Cardmates determine if it was a made shot?

Disc still has to be in the basket to be holed out, even if it enters the basket properly.

Where do you see a rule that allows a shot that enters properly but exits to be considered holed out? There's a slight difference but similar to a disc that goes in properly, hits the bottom of the basket and still bounces out.

The rules used to make it a lot more clear that the final position solely dictated whether or not it was holed out. Now we have convoluted how it enters the target too. Just because a disc went out a way it wasn't supposed to enter doesn't mean that the disc is still in.

whatever the biggest broken piece is what gets played so if the bigger part of the cracked disc was in the basket I believe it would be considered to be a made putt but if it fell through then needs to be marked under the basket and putt again.

If your disc breaks into pieces hitting a tree I am pretty sure you play the biggest piece as your lie so assume it applies to the basket and putting.

This is my interpretation also.

Don't putt with jello and and your disc won't slide through the cage. If you throw hard enough to blow through the side or botton of a cage, develop some touch.

As for a broken disc, what Chuck said (i.e. the rule) makes sense: the lie is defined by where the largest part lands.

So a disc goes in, hits the pole, breaks into two pieces, one obviously bigger than the other.

a) the big piece falls through the pan and onto the ground directly below the basket and the small piece stays in - Not holed out
b) Visa versa - and the player is holed out.

Seems slightly arbitrary to me. If the disc breaks into 20 different pieces and they all fall through? That's just bad luck?

What's wrong with pans being solid on the bottom? Or better yet, why is there room for a disc to squeeze through on most current designs? Or pieces of one for that matter. There's gotta be a reason for it, right?

So a disc goes in, hits the pole, breaks into two pieces, one obviously bigger than the other.

a) the big piece falls through the pan and onto the ground directly below the basket and the small piece stays in - Not holed out

Seems slightly arbitrary to me. If the disc breaks into 20 different pieces and they all fall through? That's just bad luck?

What's wrong with pans being solid on the bottom? Or better yet, why is there room for a disc to squeeze through on most current designs? Or pieces of one for that matter. There's gotta be a reason for it, right?

Cost

Yup, just bad luck. And it's really no less arbitrary than a disc striking a tree and the largest piece ending up deep in a bush while another smaller piece lands in the fairway. The rules aren't there to favor the player, they are there to maintain a level playing field for all. There has to be an incontrovertible standard for how to proceed in the case of a broken disc, whatever the situation is.

Like Chuck said, the design of the baskets is largely cost. The more material used to manufacture them, the more they'll cost to manufacture. It's also functional as far as why it's not solid...baskets would fill with water, leaves, clutter if they didn't have open spaces in the design.

Yup, just bad luck. And it's really no less arbitrary than a disc striking a tree and the largest piece ending up deep in a bush while another smaller piece lands in the fairway. The rules aren't there to favor the player, they are there to maintain a level playing field for all. There has to be an incontrovertible standard for how to proceed in the case of a broken disc, whatever the situation is.

I think it is though. If I hit the pole and both pieces fall through I did my job. I threw the perfect shot, it hit the pole only to break into two pieces and fall through. If the disc doesn't break I hole out. So the only question is whether I'm lucky enough to have the big piece stay in. Or whether I'm unlucky enough to have it break in to 1000 pieces, all small enough to slip through.

If the disc hits a tree, its a "bad" (or not perfect) shot. If it stayed in one piece its still likely a bad shot and if it breaks maybe its worse off, maybe its not.

I just feel like in the first scenario you are penalized for a good shot. And the second one, a bad lie from a disc breaking after hitting a tree...is well, just the consequence of a bad shot.

Am I'm making sense here?

If you are putting so hard that your disc breaks into multiple pieces when it hits the target, you need to change how you are putting.

Latest posts