• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buckhorn Best Park in NC

You know my thoughts on Lake Reidsville.....and by the looks of even some recent reviews there are others that agree with my take on it.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree about Reidsville, there are a couple holes that are shaped weirdly or "throw and pray"s but I think the rest is very good, much better than the rating you gave. They've made some changes that have gone a long way since it was first put in. Although, they kind of just crammed in #18 just for the sake of having it finish near the start of the course.

JTacoma03 said:
No other love for Middle Creek?
I was not a fan, honestly. The holes themselves were average to slightly better than average at best but what killed me was the flow of the course or the complete lack of it. It seems very forced onto that athletic complex.

I was not a fan, honestly. The holes themselves were average to slightly better than average at best but what killed me was the flow of the course or the complete lack of it. It seems very forced onto that athletic complex.

lol, I guess it's a "half empty vs half full" sort of situation. I gave that props because I liked the use of already existing obstacles such as the baseball fields and roads.

This may be a product of learning to play at Kentwood - not sure.

buckhorn is not for the faint of heart

lol, I guess it's a "half empty vs half full" sort of situation. I gave that props because I liked the use of already existing obstacles such as the baseball fields and roads.

This may be a product of learning to play at Kentwood - not sure.

baseball fields and roads= bad obstacles.

Where is Ramcat Ridge??? Can someone post a link please. I tried looking for it through course listings.
You can also find all the info you need on this (and almost every course in NC-- except the REALLY private ones) in my NC Course guide, at my Yahoo group DG Course Reviews (but you have to become a member to get it.)

No other love for Middle Creek?
I guess it is a rather new course. Even Olorin hasn't rated it.
Actually, Middle Creek is my home course, but I haven't rated it for several reasons:
-My general rule is to wait at least a year for a new course to settle in before I review it.
-More importantly, since that 1 year is already up, I may never review MC on DGCR because I'm good friends with one of the designers, Jay Pontier. I'm not sure if I can be unbiased enough, and I'm not comfortable publicly pointing out some of the course's flaws. I still haven't decided.

I will say the MC is getting better and better all the time. Many, if not all, holes have nice concrete tees on the Regular layout, and they have some killer Houck tee signs. The 10 meter brick circles around the baskets are also a cool innovation.

(Plus it was only about 2 weeks ago that I got out there and finished compiling my hole by hole rating notes for the short tees layout.)

I will say the MC is getting better and better all the time. Many, if not all, holes have nice concrete tees on the Regular layout, and they have some killer Houck tee signs. The 10 meter brick circles around the baskets are also a cool innovation.)

I'd like to echo this. There are going to be some more changes too, such as Hole 1 moving into the woods to take the road out of play. I'm kind of biased too though, since I'm friends with Jay too and I've helped out a little with building the course.

Ashe County Park is the highest rated course in North Carolina.

As it should be!

Buckhorn would be my 5th or 6th favorite in NC (out of the 54 NC courses I've played) behind: Ashe County, Renny, Hornets Nest, Castle Hayne and maybe Zebulon. Zebulon and Buckhorn are pretty much interchangeable for me.

The great thing about disc golf in NC is the depth of high-quality courses.
You could ask 10 different people and easily get 10 different answers.
Very little drop-off between 1 and 10, as far as I can tell, if you include un-listeds. I agree that you could make a strong case for Buckhorn as #1, but I haven't played Renny,Hornets Nest,Fox Chase or Castle Hayne, so the jury is still out.
Buckhorn with the dogwoods blooming would be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Actually, Middle Creek is my home course, but I haven't rated it for several reasons:
-My general rule is to wait at least a year for a new course to settle in before I review it.
-More importantly, since that 1 year is already up, I may never review MC on DGCR because I'm good friends with one of the designers, Jay Pontier. I'm not sure if I can be unbiased enough, and I'm not comfortable publicly pointing out some of the course's flaws. I still haven't decided.

I will say the MC is getting better and better all the time. Many, if not all, holes have nice concrete tees on the Regular layout, and they have some killer Houck tee signs. The 10 meter brick circles around the baskets are also a cool innovation.

(Plus it was only about 2 weeks ago that I got out there and finished compiling my hole by hole rating notes for the short tees layout.)

Good to know, now I understand. It's tough to objectively critique in that scenario. If I can make it back out there I'd like to play it again. I haven't played it since March/April 09.

I hope they don't move 1 into the woods though...I like playing the roads like streams. They have that nice added advantage of not losing your disc.

my top ten in no particular order
fox chase barnet park castle hayne renny hornet's nest buckhorn unc valley springs zebulon cedar rock/wellsprings

Nice to see the Castle getting some love. It spawned this DG addict.

The more holes in the woods for MC the better, my Irish self was nearly fried when I played it during the summer.

After reading most of the posts on this thread, I think I should have changed it to maybe "Buckhorn Best Scenic Course in NC?"

I'm still new at disc and I'm sensing that most rate a course on the kind of shots one has to throw, or something along those lines...

My friends were hypin Buckhorn up so much and it lived up to my expectations. Such a nice, well kept course in my opinion.

I've also heard that Ashe County is pretty nice too, gotta check that out ASAP!

I've got Buckhorn as the best course I've played yet. And I've only played NC, Rock Hill and a couple in Charleston SC I've not put up yet. Fox Chase is not far behind. The only thing that puts Buckhorn ahead of Fox Chase for me is water. I love water holes. I like them with no bailout option. I've not played Wilmington, Ashe Co, Durham or Asheville yet, so Buckhorn may slip. But after living in Charlotte for a while and playing everything except the new Elong I have to say Buckhorn and Fox Chase beat anything in the city, in my opinion anyway. That said Charlotte has some kick ass courses like the new Nevin.

Ashe County > Buckhorn

I haven't played Castle Hayne, Richmond Hill, or any of the Charlotte courses, so I can't really rate the best in state. Buckhorn is certainly a destination course and my favorite daytrip course.

Kinston's Barnet Park is pretty sweet too.

Castle Hayne is more of a player's course than a scenic course, Buckhorn definitely trumps it there.
Here's a nice vid I found of Buckhorn to put a face to the name.

Latest posts