• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buckhorn Woes

pkbeast

Bogey Member
Hey all, recently played Buckhorn in Raleigh last week and had a fairly disconcerting experience. Im not one to bitch, but this was just flagrant.

We played down to the turn on 9 by the water and met the only other 2 people out there. we said hey and merry xmas and all that and one warned that he would "Take our discs if we threw them in the water" after which we pured both our drives and parked them by the second water hole leading them to say "well damn maybe not" moving on we get up to 17 I believe and I chuck the SAME dayglo beast I threw in front of them 15 mins before into the lake. No biggie, we could see it about 10 feet out so I decided to grab a big ass stick on the next round. After first 18 the other two guys walked out past us as we were starting our second round (with my disc in their bag unknown to me). I drag a HUGE branch 3 holes down to use it to get my disc out and low and behold you could tell where one of the locals we passed by earlier had waded in (u could see the trail threw the ectoplasmic goo where he had waded threw the chest deep nasty stagnant water) and they had scalped not only mine, but 4 other discs and had walked by us without asking if they were ours even though I know they saw my disc hit the water.

BAD FORM. bad form indeed peeps. Im not sore about losing my disc in the water, but having it stolt right under my nose by some seemingly nice fellas sucks balls. they were driving a lime-ish green 2 door jeep cherokee if anyone knows them. :(

while the dudes who cruised with your disc are certainly dicks i'm not sure why you didn't fish it out when you had the chance if it was right there where you could see it and someone on the course had already told you they were going to take your discs if you threw them in the water...

while the dudes who cruised with your disc are certainly dicks i'm not sure why you didn't fish it out when you had the chance if it was right there where you could see it and someone on the course had already told you they were going to take your discs if you threw them in the water...

ever played at buckhorn?? its on the nuclear power plants lake. the water i went in was a stagnant holding pool... marked with skull and cross bones..toxic **** and the holes around it have no limbs to be found for fishing so we had to wait until we walked up a ways.

There are DBs like that at every course that has a pond. They aren't legally allowed to go in the pond. There is only 1 guy, besides the parks people, that is allowed to go in the pond and he always returns discs if there is contact information on the disc.

one warned that he would "Take our discs if we threw them in the water"

I would have thrown one into the water and wait for them to try to retrieve it...call the cops and let them deal with it. They pretty much said they were going to steal from you when one of them made that comment to you.

I would have thrown one into the water and wait for them to try to retrieve it...call the cops and let them deal with it. They pretty much said they were going to steal from you when one of them made that comment to you.

Im a new player... so I dont know how to read peoples tendencies and whats an old school joke or whats truly aggressive. sigh . If i see them again. its on.

The same thing goes on at Cedar Hills. There is a nasty little pond out there on hole 7. People go in there all the time. There are broken bottles, tree trunks, and nasty little parasites in that pond.

Thanks for the advice Plankeye. Ill be more aggressive next time.

i've played buckhorn a bunch of times. i'd drink half the contents of the pond on 17 before i'd go up to my waist in that cesspool at cedar hills...

Don't worry. The brain-eating swamp amoebas will make 'em pay.

Who in the hell would go into a pond marked with a skull and crossbones? Wtf...next to a nuclear power plant

It isn't marked with a skull and crossbones. I think he was over exaggerating.

The pond in question isn't next to a power plant, but the course is. There are a few holes(8 - 11) that play along Lake Jordan where you can see the power plant billowing smoke in the distance.

my lil sis and her friend went in it yesterday to get there discs on 17....that course eats them up....i went aviar, aviar, aviar......was water free yesterday...even parked it on 11

I usually do worse if I try to just lay up to the edge of the lake instead of just going for it from the short tee pads.

Back when I played the Buckhorn Open regularly, I saw either Walt Haney or Justin Jernigan hit solid chains from the short tee on hole 17 with a yellow KC Pro Teebird. It didn't stick.

yeah we were playing back tees....i dont normally play the shorts unless its just me and the 10 yr old....you dont see many people get across from the tee...

Latest posts