• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bags—why not more duck cloth options?

jupiterboy

Eagle Member
History: I bough an inexpensive, imported bag that is made out of heavy nylon. I've also worn out several backpacking packs in my life. The failure with my current bag and other bags I've owned is that the waterproof coating on the nylon fabric starts to delaminate. Yes, zippers can get messed up, etc., but rarely does the nylon actually fail. What happens is the coating inside starts to crack and peel off. This is an obvious, known limitation; and it makes me laugh a little because so many disc golf bags are over-engineered yet there's no real way to address this basic weakness.

Heavy, wax-treated cotton duck cloth doesn't have this issue at all, and you can redo the water repellent treatment. You can't do much of anything once the coating starts to delaminate from nylon.

I know about the nut sack, so there are some options out there. I wish there were some options in the 18-24 disc range with good designs. I suspect some current designs could be made out of heavy, water-proofed cotton. Maybe they are out there and I don't know about them; or maybe there is some other reason?

I don't really need my disc golf bag to be waterproof. If I am carrying any small items that need to stay dry, I will put them in a dry bag or ziploc.

Does anybody? But also, once you coat the inside of a nylon bag it will hold water. I don't think anyone wants to keep water from the discs inside the bag. Cordura whatever D poly or nylon are just the defacto for bags.

Heavy, waxed cotton is pretty rain worthy as it is, though. It's just an older technology. But the waxes used have come a long way. I just think it would be much closer to a buy once item made of a heavy, treated cotton.

The nutsac is pretty solid, I've got one I used and abused for about a decade before gifting it intact but faded to another fella. The rogue iron knock off is more functional, much cheaper, with pockets but after 2yrs it needs some stitching repaired. It's similar capacity to my double nutsac.

I have yet to test my ridge roller v4 in the rain, it comes with a fly and it looks very durable but I only have a few rounds on it. Very functional, lots of well designed pockets and a seat. It's a nice full size bag.

If there's a solid market for it, simeone will probably make one. My guess is there's probably some mild interest, but not enough demand to make it a commercially viable product.

Just use sealskin or some other waterproof hide.

Wait, scratch that. Last thing we need is PETA hiding in the schule and throwing paint at offending disc golfers.

There are the rain covers for most bags.

I know of some people who used plastic coating spray on the bottom of their bags for when they have to put them down on wet grass.

Personally i use an umbrella when its raining and the bag stays under the umbrella at all times.

If you need to use a zip lock for items that should not get wet, you are doing it wrong.

You can refurbish the waterproofing on nylon too. (And better than the factory coatings I've seen.) I've done it by working GE Silicon II into the fabric with a plastic paint scraper and disposable gloves.

There are the rain covers for most bags.

I know of some people who used plastic coating spray on the bottom of their bags for when they have to put them down on wet grass.

Personally i use an umbrella when its raining and the bag stays under the umbrella at all times.

If you need to use a zip lock for items that should not get wet, you are doing it wrong.

All good stuff. I was thinking of waxed duck cloth as superior to nylon, but not because of waterproofness. It's more about buying a bag that will last that doesn't need any reworking of coatings that fail. Most wax treatments are wash in.

All good stuff. I was thinking of waxed duck cloth as superior to nylon, but not because of waterproofness. It's more about buying a bag that will last that doesn't need any reworking of coatings that fail. Most wax treatments are wash in.

Welcome to Planned Obsolescence!

https://www.ridgeroller.com/product/the-ridge-v5-frameless-version-no-seat-seat-frame-sold-separate/

Well looks like they are saying lifetime warranty, if you believe that... the v5 looks bulkier than the v4 I got.. judging from the web link the seat frame is NOT included.

It is 'seat or no seat' option. I believe they started that option with V4. That way if you have a bag you are replacing or upgrading, you can move the seat from one bag to the other and save money.

Latest posts