• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bucksnort/Phantom/Beaver/Bailey Trip

odysseus81

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I am going on my annual DG Road Trip and this year we are hitting the Pine, CO area to play. I have a few oddly specific questions I was hoping someone could offer advice on.
1. Hitting up awesome food joints is a big part of our trip. Can anyone recommend any can't-miss places in the extended Pine area?
2. I'm a videographer and drone pilot and was wanting to take a few pics with my drone from the most scenic spots on those courses, but I also don't want to lug my drone around along with my other gear if I don't have to. If I knew exactly where the most scenic holes were, I could be intentional (looking at the 4 courses listed above).
3. I'm a Missouri guy so I am not used to throwing in CO elevations. DO discs essentially fly the same with high elevations?
4. Any other tips for the trip?

Thanks!

3. I'm a Missouri guy so I am not used to throwing in CO elevations. DO discs essentially fly the same with high elevations?

No direct personal experience but you should expect discs to fly more stable at elevation.

I have heard those who play regularly at elevation call a Sidewinder their "mountain Destroyer". :D

I am going on my annual DG Road Trip and this year we are hitting the Pine, CO area to play. I have a few oddly specific questions I was hoping someone could offer advice on.
1. Hitting up awesome food joints is a big part of our trip. Can anyone recommend any can't-miss places in the extended Pine area?
2. I'm a videographer and drone pilot and was wanting to take a few pics with my drone from the most scenic spots on those courses, but I also don't want to lug my drone around along with my other gear if I don't have to. If I knew exactly where the most scenic holes were, I could be intentional (looking at the 4 courses listed above).
4. Any other tips for the trip?

Thanks!

I played all those courses (minus Bucksnort, which was going through renovations when I visited) on my last CO trip.

Bring water with you for Conifer and Bailey. The courses are long and you don't really get back to the parking lot until you're done playing. Conifer has a bit of a hike from the parking lot just to get to the course.

Your discs will fly a lot more overstable. Bring your roller discs. I was using my Roadrunner and flippy Comet as my stable drivers. Everything else flew overstable. I was wishing for some flippier plastic to help with turnovers.

Lots of scenic spots at Bailey and Conifer, unfortunately they're also the courses with the biggest hikes so I'm not sure how far you're willing to lug that drone.

These courses can be quite strenuous and I will recommend leaving the drone but deff bring a camera. At Beaver Ranch, they redesigned course flow and parking lot so the long walk is gone, but once you're up the hill, you are long ways from the lot. Your discs will fly extremely more overstable so bring something beat-in and flippy. I always bring a floppy putter to these courses for rock up-shots and try to keep roll aways to a minimum (but you will deff have roll-aways). As for food I will recommend Zokas Restaurant in Pine, CO. I personally have never eaten there but it is highly recommended by other disc golfers and they are a heavy presence and sponsor of Conifer and Bailey disc golf. Please use designated smoking areas and do not smoke anything on the Bailey course. The land is owned by the school district and don't give them any reason to shut the course down. Good luck and have fun, I feel blessed that I can play some of the courses on a regular basis.

Zoka's Bar and Restaurant was just down the road from Bucksnort, I had a great lunch there. The bartender was a DG'er which made good conversation.

We just got back from the trip and all I can say is WOW! As a midwest guy, experiencing DG in the mountains was incredible. We played Phantom, Bucksnort, Bailey, and Beaver. I would rate them in this order: Bucksnort, Bailey, Phantom, Beaver. The views were stunning. The exercise was real....serious difficult climbs on all these courses. The food game was REALLY strong. Our favorite dinner spot was Rustic Station which had awesome burgers/sandwiches. Make sure you try the sweet potato waffle fries. They were a game changer. We ate breakfast every morning at Crow Hill Cafe. Everything is made from scratch and their breakfast gravy is phenomenal. We also loved Wing Wagon (deep fried oreos for dessert!) in Conifer and 285 Pizza Pies. Best NY style pizza I have ever had. Just wanted to throw this info out there in case anyone else is ever wanting to know. The pic I posted is a panorama I took with my drone at Bucksnort. Breathtaking....
22048118_10212588998253824_5546710108151340621_o.jpg

Attachments

• 22048118_10212588998253824_5546710108151340621_o.jpg
    22048118_10212588998253824_5546710108151340621_o.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
We just got back from the trip and all I can say is WOW! As a midwest guy, experiencing DG in the mountains was incredible. We played Phantom, Bucksnort, Bailey, and Beaver. I would rate them in this order: Bucksnort, Bailey, Phantom, Beaver. The views were stunning.

Envious you got them all in, congrats on a sweet trip. Having only played Beaver so far, loved it, I am pretty excited to see it was 4th on your list. Makes me want to play the other 3 even more when I venture back out this spring/summer. Good tips on the food too. :thmbup:

Glad you had a good time. A few friends and I are looking to play these exact courses over a 2 day period this summer. How long did it take you to play the courses? Did you have any difficulties reserving Phantom or Bucksnort?

Edit: I'm aware of this page telling how to make a reservation: https://www.facebook.com/paulieteetimehelp/posts/1276643795790098

Expect about 4 hours per course. They are long with lots of hiking. Phantom and Bucksnort are in the same place-ish. You could play both in 1 day, but you need to start early and plan on leaving late. 9am-6pm is a reasonable expectation to try and get 2 done a day.

Reservation during the weekdays are fairly easy. Weekend reservation book up fast, try and schedule them now.

Bailey and Conifer do not need reservations, but are longer course.

Sounds like a great trip, be prepared to drink lots of water, cut down on the alcohol. Take your time hiking up and down, no need to make yourself sick.

Phantom and Bucksnort are in the same place-ish. You could play both in 1 day, but you need to start early and plan on leaving late. 9am-6pm is a reasonable expectation to try and get 2 done a day.

Interesting. The Facebook reservation information says:
* All buck snort tee-times are at 9am. All phantom falls tee-times are at 10:30am.​

I'm not sure how you could play both with those tee times, or do the owners allow you to schedule both in one day?

Interesting. The Facebook reservation information says:
* All buck snort tee-times are at 9am. All phantom falls tee-times are at 10:30am.​

I'm not sure how you could play both with those tee times, or do the owners allow you to schedule both in one day?

Yes, if you call and talk with them about trying to book both courses on the same day. You would probably have to pay 2 green fees. Pauley also started asking for parties to pay for at least 4 spots ahead of time, due to high numbers of people flaking out.

Bucksnort takes about 4-5 hours to play, Phantom about 3-4.

Latest posts