• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build Natural Steps

skottyb

Eagle Member
I am going to donate some time and money on my home course too build some natural steps on a step embankment. Does anyone have any pictures of Natural Steps at there local course, I am trying to get some ideas on a cheap and easy way of doing this.

3 pieces of 2' rebar, backed by a board, then back filled with gravel is what I have in mind. Luckily the local park is going to bring the gravel out, I just have to do the work.

Anyways, pictures? ideas? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Big rocks would probably cost a fortune.

Is all work going to be done by you? I would definitely research the least labor intensive one and maybe you can even get the local action to help fund it or something?

South Vineland Park has several areas like this. they have a piece of rebar on each end of a 2' section of 4x4. each step is a little bit longer than a foot, and they have a small section of 2x4 on either end to keep the dirt inside the steps.

I've done some for our course here. After Hole #3, you have to cross a creek (or walk around to the bridge adding approx. 150 feet) to get to Hole #4's Tee Box. Crossing the creek is the preferred method, partially because it's very secluded (think Pee break or burn break). However, the creek is 10 to 15 feet lower than #3's basket. When the ground is wet or muddy it's difficult to get down the slope safely, so I got my shovel and started digging steps. On each step I put a large piece of concrete that I salvaged from the debris along the creek (In the early times of Amarillo, this area used to be the dump so there are lots of concrete chunks lying around). On most of the steps I dug back into the slope so the concrete would actually be partially buried into the hill.

That was in 1994 and they are all still there and still getting lots of traffic. Super cheap, super effective.

South Vineland Park has several areas like this. they have a piece of rebar on each end of a 2' section of 4x4. each step is a little bit longer than a foot, and they have a small section of 2x4 on either end to keep the dirt inside the steps.

Yea that's exactly what I have envisioned.. you don't have pictures by any chance do you?

I've done some for our course here. After Hole #3, you have to cross a creek (or walk around to the bridge adding approx. 150 feet) to get to Hole #4's Tee Box. Crossing the creek is the preferred method, partially because it's very secluded (think Pee break or burn break). However, the creek is 10 to 15 feet lower than #3's basket. When the ground is wet or muddy it's difficult to get down the slope safely, so I got my shovel and started digging steps. On each step I put a large piece of concrete that I salvaged from the debris along the creek (In the early times of Amarillo, this area used to be the dump so there are lots of concrete chunks lying around). On most of the steps I dug back into the slope so the concrete would actually be partially buried into the hill.

That was in 1994 and they are all still there and still getting lots of traffic. Super cheap, super effective.

sounds like a great idea.. the slop is about a 45 down and is slippery (muddy), unforunately its in a state owned park so there isnt any concrete laying around. About all I can get from the state is some gravel to backfill and a "atta boy" for doing the work..

Im playing a course this afternoon that has some built into a steep hill (the hole my ace bounced out of last weekend!). I'll bring my cam and snap a few pics for you if you'd like

We used 4x6's at the park and they seem to be working rather well. Same idea as what you are proposing, 2- 1/2" holes for #4 rebar on either end. Rock and rebar don't cooperate tho, FYI.

I've seen other natural steps dug at a course in Albuquerque, NM. When they got permission to install a new course on the South side of town, it was installed in an area with an arroyo. The arroyo was easily navigated in most areas where it affected the course, except by Holes #3,#4, and #9, where it is very deep and steep. One of their club members, Nick Sands (also one of the oldest in age), got his shovel and dug out some steps to the bottom by Hole #9. They were about 3-4 feet wide, and somewhere between 20-30 feet top to bottom. Tons of WORK! Not long after they were finished, sure enough a heavy rain happened in the mountains and the flash flood wiped out all the hard effort. Bummer!

Im playing a course this afternoon that has some built into a steep hill (the hole my ace bounced out of last weekend!). I'll bring my cam and snap a few pics for you if you'd like

That'd be awesome, can post or send me a PM.. thanks!

At Chestnut Ridge and Black Diamond @ Emery Park. Hey have man/earth made steps.

At CR they dug out the steps and made the stepping surface out of shale. ( gottin' in park I believe) They work nice. I could get photos after the weekend if it would help. It's my local course ;):).

At BD @ EP they also dug out the steps, but used branches as the stepping surface. The branches are 2-3" in dia. and 10" or so long. These branches were made available from course clearing and downed trees. Small dia. trees would work too.

I'm only suggesting this because no "extra" materials were used ie: rebar. They used the earth to hold everything in. This may or maynot save some time or materials.

Just my 2¢.

Mike
Ps both courses are on this site.

cedar rounds anchored by rebar then backfilled seems to be a fairly cheap and nice looking option.

anyway, atta boy

At Chestnut Ridge and Black Diamond @ Emery Park. Hey have man/earth made steps.

At CR they dug out the steps and made the stepping surface out of shale. ( gottin' in park I believe) They work nice. I could get photos after the weekend if it would help. It's my local course ;):).

At BD @ EP they also dug out the steps, but used branches as the stepping surface. The branches are 2-3" in dia. and 10" or so long. These branches were made available from course clearing and downed trees. Small dia. trees would work too.

I'm only suggesting this because no "extra" materials were used ie: rebar. They used the earth to hold everything in. This may or maynot save some time or materials.

Just my 2¢.

Mike
Ps both courses are on this site.

awesome, if you could score some pictures that would be even better.. all about saving money and what not.

Actually chadams is a member here. He is lead course designer/installer(along with others of course) the Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park. If you contact him I'm sure he could help with photos/suggestions. I won't get a chance to till next week.

Actually chadams is a member here. He is lead course designer/installer(along with others of course) the Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park. If you contact him I'm sure he could help with photos/suggestions. I won't get a chance to till next week.

Thanks, I sent him a PM.. doesnt look like he's logged in for a couple months though.

Those were some very cool steps to see and use in person. Definitely fit in with the surrounding nature.

On a, what I think is kinda funny, side note ... I had a drive that didn't quite make it past that point and landed to the left of the stairs as you look at them from the bottom. Right in front of a fallen tree that wasn't completely on the ground yet. There was no place to stand behind my lie to make the throw and I didn't want to take a drop. I made the throw while sitting on the trunk and bouncing a little for momentum and it actually worked.

Latest posts