• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building The Bag: Part 1 on SpinTV

FWIW Steeze, I didn't have a problem with what you posted. Agreed, not as much instructional.

Something I'd add onto the instructional point... I found some instructional vids awhile back from Avery (don't recall where), but in a recent comparison video I saw where his form was compared to an Ultimate player, I noticed he had changed his form somewhat. Maybe an area of future videos with him to get a refresh on his technique and form. Maybe a beginner vid and then a fine-tuning/troubleshooting one for the Intermediate to Advanced crowd.

I just now read your post. I agree with it pretty much exclusively. I simply didn't think part 2 achieved the same amount of instuctional material. I was partly joking about the Aj Destroyer. Of course it doesn't make sense to suggest that for new players but really is a tern going to be all that much less of a meathook to a beginner? Not by much. I wasn't trying to be rude or ruffle the guys feathers. I was replying to the Roc guy who called himself whitney houston lol. If he had read the entire thread he would've seen where I stand on it. I love the series. I love what spinTV does I subscribe to them on youtube. I enjoy all the content and I expect them to market and push their products however they wish. I simply wanted to say I didn't think part 2 gave as much info about the shots and types of discs you should look for and was just "hey here's a leopard it's awesome" throws leopard "hey here's the teebird everyone bags these" throws a teebird You know?

I've got to go meet a friend for a round but I'm not going to curb my opinions or my nature just to make everyone happy with my opinion. Differing opinions and discussion are what make a message board and feedback successful. If you think I was trying to trash your product JTacoma I'm sorry but I've said it enough I thought it was clear. I appreciate it, and am glad you do what you do for the sport. Period. I just don't curb the negatives I see so I can be liked by all. That's it. It's just an opinion anyway that shouldn't make or break how you think about me. I'm not that bad. :D

Just watched Part 2. Yes, of course there's going to be Innova products featured, and like Part 1, if you aren't a beginner, it's going to feel like an informercial of sorts.

That being said, Innova certainly has every right to create features for their products. It's solid marketing. And, in terms of useful info, there's nothing here that was blatantly misleading and wouldn't help someone make informed decisions on what types of discs they should look to carry to have a well balanced bag. They did a good job of highlight some neutral, beginner friendly discs that people could pick up and likely enjoy throwing right out of the gate.

Let's face it, Innova is the most widespread brand out there, and a lot of sporting good chains ONLY carry Innova discs (Dick's Sporting Goods, for example). So, if a video like this helps a new player make better selections and ultimately grow the sport, I view it as an everyone wins scenario. More than likely, that player will eventually get curious about other brands and molds.

Sure, there's no AJ Star Destroyer on there. You put that disc in beginner hands, and they are more than likely to get discouraged when everything is a meathook. Lots of folks are introduced to the sport with some beater hand me down discs and might have no clue on where to start when walking into a shop where they could easily be overwhelmed by all the choices.

Between parts 1 and two, I think it gives people a base to start from. If they hit up the Innova site, they'll learn more about the flight ratings, and there's recommendations on the breakdown for each of these discs that identify where to go from that mold if they want more turn, glide, speed and fade.

Personally, I started with Innova discs, but have gravitated to other brands and molds just on personal preference. But, understanding those Innova ratings gave me a great base to start from and go from there, and could help others all the same.

I think it's important to judge a feature like this on it's intent. Product marketing is a given. Aside from that, it served it's purpose in providing an introduction to putters, mids, fairways and DD classifications and made some suggestions in each area that the average beginner is likely to see results with and be able to build on. And, Avery got to promote his brand too. So, I'd say mission accomplished on all fronts. So, really, where's the harm here?

Again, if it grows the sport, it's a win for everyone. Nice job JTacoma03.

Thank you for a well thought out post. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I wasn't looking for a response from you. I simply posted the second part to give my opinion on it. Isn't that what the message board is for? Isn't that why you posted this thread, to illicit feedback? I don't think I need to change my phrasing I'm perfectly fine with my bluntness and honesty.

I responded to his reply that I should have expected Avery to push Innova products. If he had read my response on page one I was one of few who commented to that and gave a positive response to the content. I enjoyed the content of the first one I thought it balanced advertisement with instruction quite well. I didn't think that was achieved so well in part two so I gave that opinion. Am I somehow not allowed to do that now that it's not all positive?

I went out of my way to say twice I still appreciate the effort and content. I do. It's not like every company is doing this so it's a good thing no matter how much of an advertisement it is. I simply don't find part 2 to be as good as part one in the instructional and informational aspects. What question am I supposed to have asked you? I didn't have a question. I had an opinion. I also don't know what you claim I'm assuming. I watched the video. I gave my opinion on these videos. What are you referring to? What was this question I could've asked and gotten the answer to? What is so wrong about my phrasing? Why are you coming off as offended by my opinion? I already said I appreciate the work and series. What more can you possibly expect from me? :|

I just now read your post. I agree with it pretty much exclusively. I simply didn't think part 2 achieved the same amount of instuctional material. I was partly joking about the Aj Destroyer. Of course it doesn't make sense to suggest that for new players but really is a tern going to be all that much less of a meathook to a beginner? Not by much. I wasn't trying to be rude or ruffle the guys feathers. I was replying to the Roc guy who called himself whitney houston lol. If he had read the entire thread he would've seen where I stand on it. I love the series. I love what spinTV does I subscribe to them on youtube. I enjoy all the content and I expect them to market and push their products however they wish. I simply wanted to say I didn't think part 2 gave as much info about the shots and types of discs you should look for and was just "hey here's a leopard it's awesome" throws leopard "hey here's the teebird everyone bags these" throws a teebird You know?

I've got to go meet a friend for a round but I'm not going to curb my opinions or my nature just to make everyone happy with my opinion. Differing opinions and discussion are what make a message board and feedback successful. If you think I was trying to trash your product JTacoma I'm sorry but I've said it enough I thought it was clear. I appreciate it, and am glad you do what you do for the sport. Period. I just don't curb the negatives I see so I can be liked by all. That's it. It's just an opinion anyway that shouldn't make or break how you think about me. I'm not that bad. :D

Ok, hold on buddy, breathe. I'm not offended by your feedback, I welcome it.

I'm not asking you to curb anything - have you seen my post history? lol.

All I'm saying is - people take things the wrong way when you say things like "no discmania?!?!?!?!?" or "OMG NO DESTROYER"...it's an internet forum these kind of things blow up.

Differing opinions do make the world go 'round, I'll be the first to agree with that, but don't play up negatives before asking the questions why. There may be very good reasons, and that's all I'm saying.

I appreciate critique, thoroughly. However, critique is thought out, not reactionary.

People need to stop giving themselves hemorrhoids. Solid videos and solid work JT. :thmbup:

as far as content gos..........

i posted a link a while back on a beginner video.....it talked about the flights and how they may act with more or less power. They also had video of the type of flight they were discussing while discussing.. I felt it was very informative. this type of demo with joe average, joe pro, and so on. I am not so sure they would would want you to find the right disc the first time? i wouldnt have bought alot of the stuff i did if i knew better.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwdghSH4rk

Ok, hold on buddy, breathe. I'm not offended by your feedback, I welcome it.

I'm not asking you to curb anything - have you seen my post history? lol.

All I'm saying is - people take things the wrong way when you say things like "no discmania?!?!?!?!?" or "OMG NO DESTROYER"...it's an internet forum these kind of things blow up.

Differing opinions do make the world go 'round, I'll be the first to agree with that, but don't play up negatives before asking the questions why. There may be very good reasons, and that's all I'm saying.

I appreciate critique, thoroughly. However, critique is thought out, not reactionary.

Bluntness and a straight forward response is always taken like someone is upset or about to give a care. I don't. I just don't dance around anything. Your response certainly had a tone in my opinion of being upset that I worded my opinion the way I did. You pointed that out. If you felt I had asked a question that you had the answer for you could've just given it but you didn't. You said I was assuming things and not wording my reply for good answers. My reply to you was polite and to the point. I wasn't asking questions and didn't assume anything in my opinion. That's all. I didn't like the content as much in part 2. End of story. That's all it was and no one was getting out of breath. ;) I take nothing on the internet for more than what it is. A way of having discussion, thought, and dialogue with people who share interests. You could've insulted my mother and I wouldn't have gotten upset. :thmbup:

Also...I don't care how people take my posts. That's on them. I'm not going to get anything to blow up and I didn't say OMG no destroyer or no discmania???!!!! and whatever else you're trying to attribute to my post. It wasn't like that. I don't post like a teenage girl. Let's keep to the facts since it's all posted here for people to see. I don't need to ask you why you didn't include this or that I didn't care enough to ask and wait. I posted a simple opinion on part 2. If it was about the negatives when I only talked about the positives of part 1 who really cares beyond you?

Last edited:
Ok I tried to be quite understanding about the product placement but this one seems over the top lol. Much less content about the bag slots and just quick talking and throws with an all innova lineup. Not even some discmania molds. No AJ destroyer either?! The tern instead? That just seems like an obvious attempt and not plugging his disc. :D I still appreciate all the effort and content but this one really seemed to be an innova commercial above all else. There was very little talk about building a bag from the drivers angle.

No OMG, One ? one ! and a cheesy grin to hopefully convey to most people I'm not being serious about that destroyer part.

Not all negative at all. An opinion.

"I still appreciate all the effort and content..."

I guess that gets overlooked when you don't like the critique and negatives of it. While I could've worded it many other ways I didn't. You could've done the same and just said thanks for the comments, here's why it was this way or not. Then let it be or say thanks for watching. As the producer of the content I'd say it's more on you to use tact in your words not the person who is commenting on your product in a forum. It's all good though. Like I said times before thanks for the video and keep doing what you do for disc golf. I appreciate it. :clap:

Whatever guy, stop trying to act like this isn't some gimmick to get newbies hooked on Innova. Just a big, long advertisement.

OK, I'll bite. Let's play hypothetical for a second, and say it was. Even if it was exactly what you're saying, what is the problem with that?

i posted a link a while back on a beginner video.....it talked about the flights and how they may act with more or less power. They also had video of the type of flight they were discussing while discussing.. I felt it was very informative. this type of demo with joe average, joe pro, and so on. I am not so sure they would would want you to find the right disc the first time? i wouldnt have bought alot of the stuff i did if i knew better.......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwdghSH4rk

This video, though I'm not a fan of it stylistically, has very solid information. I guess the difference here is that they incorporate a bit of technique, whereas the Building The Bag series excluded that to focus specifically on discs.

Is it a clean separation? No, for obvious reasons. I'm glad that other sources of information exist, because the good thing is our videos corroborate the facts. To be honest, whichever style works best for you, I encourage you to watch and share. I'm all about growing the sport, and people learn differently.

Latest posts