• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz os hornet drone.

dill

What how much of a difference is there between the Drone Hornet buzzz os?

The flight ratings Drone (2.5), Hornet (2) & BuzzzOS (1.7) are fair. From my experience, the BuzzzOS in Z plastic performed more like a 1.9 if not 2 on the Discraft stability scale. If would go for the BuzzzOS because it is offered in more plastic options and will be more controllable. The Hornet is offered in Z but it's a Z/ESP blend that will beat up much sooner than standard Z.

So brand new you think the hornet and buzzz os have the same flight as far as distance and fade.

So brand new you think the hornet and buzzz os have the same flight as far as distance and fade.

No. The hornet goes much further, it's very glidey for an OS mid. It is kind of like a DD verdict, where the buzzz OS is more like a slightly longer zone/gator.

Agreed as far as distance. Actually, some Drones (e.g. BigZ) also seem to be super glidey.

The Hornet has very sneaky distance; might even be more of a fairway driver than a mid. I think it's a very underrated disc, but understandably so because there are limited plastic options. The "Z" isn't typical Z, apparently because of the density of plastic and how much volume is needed to fill the mold (I understand that the lighter discs tend to be closer to typical Z). But whatever Discraft did with the mold/volume/aerodynamics, I think the Hornet is a winner.

Agreed as far as distance. Actually, some Drones (e.g. BigZ) also seem to be super glidey.

The Hornet has very sneaky distance; might even be more of a fairway driver than a mid. I think it's a very underrated disc, but understandably so because there are limited plastic options. The "Z" isn't typical Z, apparently because of the density of plastic and how much volume is needed to fill the mold (I understand that the lighter discs tend to be closer to typical Z). But whatever Discraft did with the mold/volume/aerodynamics, I think the Hornet is a winner.

Agreed, the plastic is kind of weird and I bag one too, along with a zone (and firebird) for the true OS duties

Agreed, the plastic is kind of weird and I bag one too, along with a zone (and firebird) for the true OS duties

Drone, not truly overstable?

FSVmudQ.gif

Mmmm, I dunno. I think it depends on what hornet you get. I've seen some that are clearly not that beefy and I've seen some that are superbeef, such as mine. It is hella fast for a mid, that's for sure.

I'd say hornet is borderline utility overstable. It can beat into something more workable....give it a few years.

I think the zone and drone are more os, but the hornet can fill that slot for sure.

Last edited:
That is weird. I've owned probably 30 since their release, never cared for the 09 world's Z ones though (blue or white). Wasn't one of those, was it?

The one I had wasn't that overstable unless you put it on a hyzer. If I wanted to throw a flex line 250', it would have a hard time fighting back...it was weird...

That is weird. I've owned probably 30 since their release, never cared for the 09 world's Z ones though (blue or white). Wasn't one of those, was it?

I'm also curious what plastic and weight. As I mentioned earlier, my BigZ wasn't as overstable as I expected and had a surprising amount of glide, but it definitely fought out of a flex. I currently bag a misprint max weight Ti FLX which is pretty much the bee's knees.

I'm also curious what plastic and weight. As I mentioned earlier, my BigZ wasn't as overstable as I expected and had a surprising amount of glide, but it definitely fought out of a flex. I currently bag a misprint max weight Ti FLX which is pretty much the bee's knees.

I just traded mine away, but I think it was 175g Big Z. It was pretty glidey like you mentioned, but the Ti Drones are pretty beefy. I would imagine the Ti Flex are similar.

Latest posts