• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] "Modern Day" Hornet?

I love mine but it's much more overstable than a Hornet.
The two Pyros I have (a stock Proton and stock Plasma), both fly pretty similar to a Hornet. Hornet might have a touch more glide, but I wouldn't say Pyro is more overstable. Most likely just a difference in runs, I have heard a lot of people say their Pyro is beefy. Also I would say Pyro is significantly better forehand than a Hornet. I describe it as a Zone with a touch more glide that goes 30-50 feet farther. It is the best OS (but not beefy) mid I have tried (I have thrown RocX3, Buzzz OS, Nebula, Drone, Verdict, Method, MD3, Warrior, Gila, probably more I have forgot). I haven't thrown a Quake though, I have heard a lot of people recommend those.

Westside Bard is a lot like a Hornet - I used to throw both, and ended up going with the Bard, just a tick less overstable, and a tick more glide. But they felt similar in the hand.

Fluid Verdict is more stable than the Chris Clemons, but I dont think its any cheaper.

Too bad the Mortar is OOP.

Last edited:
Too bad the Mortar is OOP.

It is. I actually have this Swirly Frontline Inscho stamp Mortar on the shelf. (Apparently, it's from 2017/18 and is either a 1.2 or 1.3.) I'm scared to throw it on the course, but do take it to the field occasionally.

Right now, I have a Star Caiman in the bag. Feel is almost identical to the Mortar, but the Mortar holds straight a little longer and has a little better glide.

Attachments

• 287027-b6ef47da82a618779195b7aa449bf6e3.jpeg
    287027-b6ef47da82a618779195b7aa449bf6e3.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Westside Bard is a lot like a Hornet - I used to throw both, and ended up going with the Bard, just a tick less overstable, and a tick more glide. But they felt similar in the hand.

You found the Bard to be less OS and have better glide than a Hornet? Maybe that's one to add to the list of candidates. I do have a thing for Westside...

The hornet kinda came in two flavors HSS and late strong fade, and Drone like beefy.
This slot was my most intense bag audition nearly a decade ago Extensive findings here. I Settled on verdicts for a period of time, they complimented the buzzz amazingly. Flat Lucids especially since they flew so straight for being beefy. Verdict doesn't have the glide you are looking for though. Also has a micro bead.

The current Amber Gilas are quite Hornet like. Hold straight and glide a little longer than typical Gila. I know you are looking for beadless, the gila is the opposite of that.

Bards are beaded, and pretty awesome.

It sounds like you are looking for OS, some glide and workable. That's one of my favorite slots and typically a beaded slightly domey mid seems to be the best option.

Something not yet mentioned that is beadless, OS (some likely too OS for the slot), has some glide for being relatively flat and beadless is the Quake. The TS and PL quakes may be a great one to try.

Gateway warrior is worth trying, it may be on the straighter side of the slot but a great one. No bead and more glide than quake

I'll keep that in mind. I work ~10min from the Gateway factory, so I can feel them before buying.

I had a chance to throw my new SP Quake in the field after work today.

New, it has similar stability to my beat Star Caiman, but noticeably more glide.

Compared to my used (but I wouldn't say beat) Vapor Method, the Quake has a little more HSS and definitely more LSS. I can get my Method to turn just a hair on a flat release and it doesn't fade much. The Quake holds straight for most of its flight and definitely fades, but doesn't dump.

Once the Quake gets some wear, it may be just what I'm looking for.

I'll keep that in mind. I work ~10min from the Gateway factory, so I can feel them before buying.

I had a chance to throw my new SP Quake in the field after work today.

New, it has similar stability to my beat Star Caiman, but noticeably more glide.

Compared to my used (but I wouldn't say beat) Vapor Method, the Quake has a little more HSS and definitely more LSS. I can get my Method to turn just a hair on a flat release and it doesn't fade much. The Quake holds straight for most of its flight and definitely fades, but doesn't dump.

Once the Quake gets some wear, it may be just what I'm looking for.
Its great that the quake has been seeing some love, its deserving. It's more OS buzzz than the Buzzz OS, and if marketed as such under the discraft banner it would have probably been a huge hit.

Its great that the quake has been seeing some love, its deserving. It's more OS buzzz than the Buzzz OS, and if marketed as such under the discraft banner it would have probably been a huge hit.
I took PTO and played four rounds (at three different courses) today with my new Quake in the bag.

I only have one Buzzz OS (a used Big Z) and one Quake (a new SP). Compared to my Quake, my Buzzz OS is a glideless turd. I get ~30 more feet with the Quake and it's more workable because of its glide.

I wish I would have bought my Quake two years ago when it was first recommended to me. I would have saved a lot of $ and time. 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ya, even the Truths have the microbead and feel beadless.

Dave's reason for the bead afaik has always been to "add a little stability" to which I reply "shape your disc right in the first place."

It sortof seems like concave rims + beads really are good at giving you minimal high speed stability with decent low speed stability - so, turn that pans over instead of drifting, and fade - good for getting around trees. I just cant stand the feel of them so I use seasoned stable discs that "drift" turn around trees instead of "panning" turn around trees. I think its a little harder to do, and you have to know your plastic really well, but I think it also gets you better distance and control in the long run.

Latest posts