• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Large Diameter Beaded OS Mid

I'm using a Legend Ghost for this slot now and very happy with it. Most Ghosts are relatively straight flying Roc copies, but the Legend plastic really bumps up the stability a couple ticks. And it doesn't feel any different than my other Rocs & Ghosts (they're basically interchangeable).

Welcome to the search. I've been on this hunt for a decade now. I can tell you that I have tried almost everything from this thread and nothing does the trick.

Malta flies great but the small diameter isn't what I am looking for and its not OS enough
RocX3 is not really much different in flight than a champ rancho roc and its not nearly OS enough
Sentinel has a good roc like flight but its still not OS enough to me
Taurus is the RocX mold and I was excited when this disc came out but it disappointed greatly. Its not OS enough, its just another roc
Gila is a great roc competitor but to me its still not OS enough
MD5 and Gator will fit the bill in terms of overstability but they are small diameter.
I have not tired a thor and have never heard of it.

What I currently do is I found a run of Champ Ranchos that I like the feel and flight of to be my OS roc in the cycle but when it comes to something that I need to be truly OS then I will go with a zone or a firebird. I know this isn't the answer that you are looking for but it is what has worked for me. I was stubborn for many years and didn't want to try a zone but its changed my game for the better.

Horsman and OP - why the need for large diameter overstable? Later fade due to the physics of the flight? I get we all like our _____ and to each their own (Drone here of course)...what's so bad about small diameter overstable?

My other mids are wider, but OS slot is not.

MD5 and a Gator sound like what you're looking for.

Small diameter, sadly

Welcome to the search. I've been on this hunt for a decade now. I can tell you that I have tried almost everything from this thread and nothing does the trick.

Malta flies great but the small diameter isn't what I am looking for and its not OS enough
RocX3 is not really much different in flight than a champ rancho roc and its not nearly OS enough
Sentinel has a good roc like flight but its still not OS enough to me
Taurus is the RocX mold and I was excited when this disc came out but it disappointed greatly. Its not OS enough, its just another roc
Gila is a great roc competitor but to me its still not OS enough
MD5 and Gator will fit the bill in terms of overstability but they are small diameter.
I have not tired a thor and have never heard of it.

What I currently do is I found a run of Champ Ranchos that I like the feel and flight of to be my OS roc in the cycle but when it comes to something that I need to be truly OS then I will go with a zone or a firebird. I know this isn't the answer that you are looking for but it is what has worked for me. I was stubborn for many years and didn't want to try a zone but its changed my game for the better.

I've bagged a zone, great disc but not quite what I'm after.

I've bagged some USDGC champ ranchos. Some are gummy and nice mild dome, some are stiff and pop-toppy. Also not the most easy to replace.

Horsman and OP - why the need for large diameter overstable? Later fade due to the physics of the flight? I get we all like our _____ and to each their own (Drone here of course)...what's so bad about small diameter overstable?

Main thing here is the added glide to help push an overstable disc farther than say, a zone or gator.

I think a lot of it for me stemmed out of my wanting to stick with mold minimalism. I used a gator for many years and liked it but over time just grew away from it. I dont know why but I have always just wanted to find that roc with a gator flight. No clue if I will even like the flight if I ever found that roc but I still hunt.

Lol, I still like to think it exists but its damn hard to fine.

It's also really armspeed/skill dependent. This disc might exist for a lower power player but not one who can really push Rocs out there.

I'd say if Horsman hasn't found this disc...it doesn't exist.

Lol, I still like to think it exists but its damn hard to fine.

It's also really armspeed/skill dependent. This disc might exist for a lower power player but not one who can really push Rocs out there.
That's the thing. Sentinels work fine for me, BUT...I generally throw old Sanny mold Sentinels and I don't have a big arm so there you go. It also is a lower-line disc than a Roc but that's fine. It works for me.

I found the Gila in the Amber plastic to be WAAAYYY too beefy for me but otherwise similar to the Sentinel so if you are just "Sentinel is OK just not OS enough" an Amber Gila might be the ticket. The Fossil Gila I can throw, the Amber Gila is just too much beef. If the Amber Gila isn't beefy enough...I got nothing.

never-ending search for an overstable mid that feels like a roc and flies like a Buzzz OS. Decent beef but decent glide.

1.2 run Luster Quantum Taurus are more OS than the 1.1 run in regular Quantum.

I don't think Sentinels have been run since the Taurus came out so those may be less 'stock' now and closer to OOP.

Rocx3 isn't much different from a Roc3. The blunted leading edge and flat top seem to make it less stable and nose angle sensitive. Taurus/Sentinel don't really have this problem.

OP - have you ever thrown a Harp? Harp is usually lumped into the OS putter category with zones and AviarX3, but I think Harps feel much closer to Rocs than anything else. You can get them cheap too, dd always has misprints in Origio, which feels really close to stiff dx/softer kc

OP - have you ever thrown a Harp? Harp is usually lumped into the OS putter category with zones and AviarX3, but I think Harps feel much closer to Rocs than anything else. You can get them cheap too, dd always has misprints in Origio, which feels really close to stiff dx/softer kc
Small diameter. You could just throw a Gator if you were going to go to a Harp/Zone.

Hello all,

I'm continuing my never-ending search for an overstable mid that feels like a roc and flies like a Buzzz OS. Decent beef but decent glide. I push rocs out to the 325' ball park, for reference.

Criteria:
1. Stock disc (read: relatively easy to replace)
2. Beaded and large diameter

No one has mentioned it yet, so I'll throw the Verdict out there. I bag a KC Pro flat top Roc and pair it with a (Fuzion) Verdict.

Diameter is the same, feels very similar in the hand (to me) and while it doesn't have a bead it has a microbead and a rim shape similar enough to a Roc (for me).

Like others have said, it's not super-stable, but I'm satisfied with the compromise it makes between stability and distance.

FWIW, I won a Buzzz OS as a CTP a month ago and when throwing it in the practice field I thought it flew nearly identical to my Verdicts. It would be an acceptable substitute for me.

Like everything, hard to find a great selection of Verdicts these days . . . and you have to watch out because some of the new ones they're making have this weird rising dome in them (especially noticeable on the Clemons' tour series Verdicts).

Other things I tried were Roc3s (not stable enough), Emac Truths (not stable enough) and beat-up Zones (great lines but I can't throw them as far as mids). Used to have a (Champ) RocX3 and I remember that being pretty similar and would probably be a good one as well.

Also will note I came to the same approach as Horsman -- if I need real beef for a shot I pull out a Zone or Firebird and make that work. Justice would fit in between those two but then you're not gliding anywhere and I'm not carrying another disc just for that small gap in between them.

What about a Prodigy A3? I know it's not as big a diameter as you are wanting, but it is beaded, plenty OS, readily available in several plastics and longer than a zone for sure. Plenty of glide and it feels good to my hand.

Just interested to find out why not…

Viking discs Loki. Ticks every box you've asked for, wide diameter, beaded, very OS and available on infinite currently. Easily as OS as a brand new max weight puddle topped Z FLX Buzzz OS

Ground plastic will be less stable out of the box and isn't too durable, Storm and Armor plastics are much more durable and are closer to Champ/Star plastics. They source their plastics from DuPont in Germany, it's very high quality stuff. I putt Ground plastic Runes and I throw an Armor Rune, Ground is an awesome putter plastic but it'll bend up like DX so I'd probably not throw it unless you want to beat one in quickly.

Last edited:

Latest posts