• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Buzzz OS/SS replacement

Lancerswimmer89

Birdie Member
So, I'm in the process of converting my bag to Trilogy plastic, and I need to find a mid-range replacement for my Buzzz OS and my Buzzz SS.

I rely on the disc most times to turn a certain way, as my game is not to the point when I can flip it too much or force some turn at will.

Same question is always asked of people when this type of this is posted; "Why are you switching away from what you know already works for a single brand loyalty if you are not being paid by them?"

I used to do the same thing, bagging 90% or more from one manufacturer. However, it is truly only detrimental and harmful to yourself. If you already rely heavily on your Buzzz family of discs, stick with them. They've been good to you, they're made right down the road from you in Wixom, give 'em some love. Let the Europeans throw their Trilogy. ;)

I'd say an Anchor/Bard and a Compass.

I have a couple Red Opto Anchors and a Pink VIP Bard. For some reason the Red Opto/Lucid/VIP plastic feels a bit gummier to me and I prefer that. The Pink Bard really feels like Z BuzzOS. The Compass is a dead straight flyer.

This is one that won't be too bad though, there are lots of Trilogy Buzzz type mids. I feel like it's the fairway drivers that are harder to find exact replacements for.

For the Buzzz SS you can look at a Truth, Core, Claymore for starters. If you throw mids around 300' any of these will turn, and have tons of glide. The Core and Claymore are very similar, but the Core has a + type inner rim. The Truth may be slightly faster. Emac Truth is not what you want for a Buzzz SS type of disc.

For the Buzzz OS, I don't have a ton of experience with that one...a Verdict is a good straight to fade complement for any of the above mentioned mids. It is closer to a Hornet though if you have thrown those, but I feel like a bit more glide. If you want true utility OS then a Justice will work, but this thing is crazy beef. I feel like the Buzzz OS is inbetween both of those.

I agree with Reniger about "why switch?", but to answer your question:

Try an Anchor to replace your Buzzz OS. If that is not overstable enough, you may have to go all the way to the Justice.

For the Buzzz SS, you might try the Evidence. If that's not understable enough, then try the Warrant.

lol! WHOOPS! Yeah. I forgot the original question. For Trilogy OS mids, I vastly prefer the Verdict. Very overstable, but workable. You get plenty of right to left movement (RHBH) but it still has enough glide to carry some distance.

For understable, the Tursas is a great mold. Easily hyzerflips or handles big sky anhyzer shots that just barely flatten out before landing.

For the traditional Buzzz (neutral straight to minor fade) the Truth is a absolute beauty of a mold. I'm not even a big Trilogy fan, but I will swear by the Truth left, right, and center!

Yeah, I know they have their theme with the names on DD discs...but Truth is the most aptly named disc I think I've thrown. It's like a more reliable Warship. Sneaky long and goes exactly where you tell it to. But it also powers down nicely. It's the backbone of my bag.

So, I'm in the process of converting my bag to Trilogy plastic.....

I'll echo the rest: Why switch? You live 25 miles from the Discraft factory and you want to switch to plastic that needs to be shipped from over 5,300 miles away (and that's straight line distance). Have you already started swapping out discs (I ask, because a month ago you were still all Discraft) If not, have you looked into an all Innova, MVP, Prodigy, Gateway, etc?

Anyway...In hand feel, there's nothing beadless that will replace the Buzzz OS. In flight: Justice, Bard, Verdict are options. All beaded, though.

The Evidence I threw for the Trilogy challenge a couple years back could cover a Buzzz SS, but didn't have that clean straight wing of the SS and a steeper concave than a Buzzz. I could get around it though, if I ever moved to Europe.

I'll echo the rest: Why switch? You live 25 miles from the Discraft factory and you want to switch to plastic that needs to be shipped from over 5,300 miles away (and that's straight line distance). Have you already started swapping out discs (I ask, because a month ago you were still all Discraft) If not, have you looked into an all Innova, MVP, Prodigy, Gateway, etc?

It's called the Ricky Effect.

First: throw what you love unless you're getting paid to throw something else (or you're just bored and want to try something new which I can also understand).

Personally, in the Trilogy-land, I prefer the Verdict and Fuse. They feel nothing alike in the hand, but both fly amazingly well for OS and US mids. The Evidence feels a lot like a Verdict in the hand, but the Evidence I had faded a little too much at the end of its flight where the Fuse holds its line better. Also, if your Buzzz OS is anything like the first runs I tried, the Verdict will probably be a little longer and not quite as overstable.

It's called the Ricky Effect.

Does Ricky even throw understable or overstable mids? He throws his Compass for straight shots (although even there he often discs down to a beat in Harp). For anything finishing right or left in mid range, he nearly always throws forehand/backhand with a Harp or Felon. I can't recall seeing a 2017 itb for him though, so maybe there's something else I'm missing.

Anyway...In hand feel, there's nothing beadless that will replace the Buzzz OS. In flight: Justice, Bard, Verdict are options. All beaded, though.

The Evidence I threw for the Trilogy challenge a couple years back could cover a Buzzz SS, but didn't have that clean straight wing of the SS and a steeper concave than a Buzzz. I could get around it though, if I ever moved to Europe.

Yeah, I've got about 6 trilogy discs in my bag. And it's mostly because of everything they're doing to help and grow the sport. Also, I've lost a bit of the discraft plastic I had for various different reasons. A buddy of mine lent me some Dynamic plastic, and I really enjoy how the biofuzion feels in the hand, and out of the hand.

Does Ricky even throw understable or overstable mids? He throws his Compass for straight shots (although even there he often discs down to a beat in Harp). For anything finishing right or left in mid range, he nearly always throws forehand/backhand with a Harp or Felon. I can't recall seeing a 2017 itb for him though, so maybe there's something else I'm missing.

Alright, that's it. I'm ditching my mids tomorrow except for a straight one. Think I'll stick with the warship. I already bag a harp and a Felon. I'm going full Ricky.

Evidence > Buzzz SS

Evidence has the same flight but has way more glide for me. I'm a big time Discraft fan boi but once I got a hold of an Evidence the Buzzz SS got the boot out of the bag.

you wont find anything like those 2 so if you rely on those 2 mids a lot then you will be disappointed if you're looking for replacements. the buzzz os in particular will be hard to replace because the closest thing trilogy has to it is the verdict. the justice is basically a shorter, more os buzzz os unless you find some bio plastic or beat in a fuzion for a long time.

the buzzz ss should be easier to find something close to depending on the ss you have.

you left out some crucial details though.
how far do you throw these
what kind of shots do you throw these on
FH or BH
what kind of buzzz os
what kind of buzzz ss

Generally I throw like 150' or so on either of them, or less. I like the OS for trouble shots, and mid-range upshots in high winds. The SS is more for when I need a right finish on a hole that is too short to flip a fairway driver on it. They were both Z FLX plastic discs.

Majority of the tosses were BH, but the OS would serve a purpose with both FH as well as BH

My buzz os and Westside Bard have been in a battle to stay in the bag all the time. They go back and forth. Bard is longer but not as predictable.

Latest posts