• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Buzzz & Stalker...Friends or Competitors?

MotoDj said:
how many buzzzes do you carry?

i feel well rounded with meteor, wasp or drone and a z buzzz
sometimes i carry my flx cause the woods, but its less stable than my z, i have an esp i've never thrown, got rid of my x, lost my pro d

but with a z buzzz, meteor and a wasp i cover bout every mid shot i need

Right now I've got a beat Meteor for really flippy stuff, an X Buzzz for finesse and flippier Buzzz shots, a seasoned Glo Z Buzzz for just about everything, and a new Glo Z Buzzz for more stable stuff out in the open. My single Glo Z Buzzz sees the vast majority of my mid shots. I've been throwing my Ion lately for most everything under 300'.

one beat, one new, one max weight, one 'perfectly' seasoned, so 4 four buzzes in my bag

When you place the Buzzz and Stalker in the bag, next to one another do they lovingly nestle or do they scratch each other's hotstamp off?

In the words of Rodney King? Can't we all get along?

The Buzzz and Stalker may be similar in flight (of course they are, they were designed to be) but not as similar as a stack of Buzzz's are to each other. Many players carry multiple Buzzz's in the bag without anguish.

In my hands the Buzzz is a great controlled midrange whose best skill is flying dead nuts straight. The Stalker is a great controlled fairway driver whose best skill is flying dead nuts straight. With less effort but the same angle the Stalker flies just like the Buzzz but a bit longer, so I use it for shots where that is the result I am looking for. I also noticed that the Stalker seems to fight the wind better than a Buzzz. No real surprise as drivers tend to fight wind better than mids.

All discs have their comfort range. Within that comfort range your accuracy is much better than when you push to the outer limits or beyond that comfort range. So don't push the limits of your Buzzz, find something that does it naturally. An easy 7 iron is more controllable than an overextended 8 iron.

Tweener discs, by their nature get less use than discs which are basic staples. And every tweener range brings up a judgment call. If you don't know whether to throw the putter or mid, throw the mid unless going too long is the primary danger. If you don't know whether to throw the mid or the driver, throw the driver unless going too long is the primary danger.

There is always the temptation to pull tweener discs out of the bag. You can look at every drive off the tee and decide if you need it on a given course. But you can't predict when the winds change or when an upshot might land in the tweener range. We carry back-ups for the same reason we carry tweeners. Life and frisbee are not predictable.

There are a number of discs which are controllable fairway drivers, including Stalkers, TeeBirds and evidently Power Drivers (never actually saw a PD but have heard they are TeeBirdish). Comparing similar models is like judging a beauty contest. You might like the blond. I might like her sister. It is hard to be wrong but easy to argue about.

Every bit of that made sense Mark. I was with you...right up until you mentioned the blonde and her sister. I carry both discs..why do I have to choose one girl over the other? I've got a front seat and a back seat...and a trunk big enough for the two of them, but that's probably getting off topic.

Mark Ellis said:
When you place the Buzzz and Stalker in the bag, next to one another do they lovingly nestle or do they scratch each other's hotstamp off?

In the words of Rodney King? Can't we all get along?

The Buzzz and Stalker may be similar in flight (of course they are, they were designed to be) but not as similar as a stack of Buzzz's are to each other. Many players carry multiple Buzzz's in the bag without anguish.

In my hands the Buzzz is a great controlled midrange whose best skill is flying dead nuts straight. The Stalker is a great controlled fairway driver whose best skill is flying dead nuts straight. With less effort but the same angle the Stalker flies just like the Buzzz but a bit longer, so I use it for shots where that is the result I am looking for. I also noticed that the Stalker seems to fight the wind better than a Buzzz. No real surprise as drivers tend to fight wind better than mids.

All discs have their comfort range. Within that comfort range your accuracy is much better than when you push to the outer limits or beyond that comfort range. So don't push the limits of your Buzzz, find something that does it naturally. An easy 7 iron is more controllable than an overextended 8 iron.

Tweener discs, by their nature get less use than discs which are basic staples. And every tweener range brings up a judgment call. If you don't know whether to throw the putter or mid, throw the mid unless going too long is the primary danger. If you don't know whether to throw the mid or the driver, throw the driver unless going too long is the primary danger.

There is always the temptation to pull tweener discs out of the bag. You can look at every drive off the tee and decide if you need it on a given course. But you can't predict when the winds change or when an upshot might land in the tweener range. We carry back-ups for the same reason we carry tweeners. Life and frisbee are not predictable.

There are a number of discs which are controllable fairway drivers, including Stalkers, TeeBirds and evidently Power Drivers (never actually saw a PD but have heard they are TeeBirdish). Comparing similar models is like judging a beauty contest. You might like the blond. I might like her sister. It is hard to be wrong but easy to argue about.

Great post. After all this discussion I think I'm going to just keep one Stalker in the bag for those tweener situations, and use the Buzzz most of the time. I got really excited about Stalker for a while and neglected the Buzzz.

I'm really surprised you're not getting much extra D out of the stalker if you're throwing your Buzzzes 340 on command. I'd expect you to be pushing 380 with the stalker at that point.

What I've seen from a lot of Buzzz throwers locally is actually a bit of the opposite of what you're pondering. Buzzz throwers that are trying out throwing just the stalker for anything under distance driver range, down to putter distances. I was playing with a guy at the tourney I TD'ed on Sunday that uses his Stalkers for anything inside 400 feet and outside about 200-220.

SkaBob said:
I'm really surprised you're not getting much extra D out of the stalker if you're throwing your Buzzzes 340 on command. I'd expect you to be pushing 380 with the stalker at that point.

What I've seen from a lot of Buzzz throwers locally is actually a bit of the opposite of what you're pondering. Buzzz throwers that are trying out throwing just the stalker for anything under distance driver range, down to putter distances. I was playing with a guy at the tourney I TD'ed on Sunday that uses his Stalkers for anything inside 400 feet and outside about 200-220.

I'm not sure what it is, all I can figure is that I'm so comfortable with the Buzzz grip and release that I can impart more power on it than other discs. For me, a 340' shot with a Buzzz would go 360' with a Stalker. I don't mind throwing that hard in the open, but I would trust hitting a gap off the tee with either of those shots. I know what your saying though, I played with a guy visiting from up north once this winter who was killing his Stalkers, but only threw his mids and D drivers about the same distance as me. Its weird.

Hoey said:
This site has convinced me to buy PD's though... that's for certain.

Where are you getting them from? I didn't know Marshall Street was carrying them. :shock:

gator said:
Hoey said:

Where are you getting them from? I didn't know Marshall Street was carrying them. :shock:

They probably are now...Innova just made Discmania available in the states not too long ago. Unfortunately we are waiting for them to stamp and send the PDs...We've got everything else besides the P-Craze, but the PDs are not here yet.

I don't throw very long (350ft max) and I find them very friendly to one another. My best round was playing with a Z Buzzz and a Wizard. Things seem to get easier when you don't have to make choices (but I'm still a disc whore).

The Buzzz is such an easy to throw disc, but it's hard not to get lured in by the extra distance the Stalker gets with the same amount of effort. I held off trying Stalkers all last summer (throwing Cyclones instead) but broke down and was very pleased with the results. I think I might even take out my Surges for a bit in the spring to really see how far I can get the Stalker to go. I only throw the Surges on a couple holes/round anyways.

Although, I've been throwing Teebirds lately and they're sort of stealing some play from the Stalkers.

gator said:
Hoey said:

We've had a small bunch of these, but Discspeed is right, we do not have to go through a couple middlemen to get them now... we'll be getting the full available line in, so when they come in, I'll probably get one.

Isn't this a bit like asking if you can throw both a Roc and a TeeChicken?

I don't think anyone would consider these 2 to be overlaping.

Pat said:
trade the buzzz in for a roc. the roc is obviously slower than a buzzz and it is more versatile.

youll have a buzzz-like disc with the stalker and the goodness of a roc

No, there are reasons to use both. Rocs don't skip much if any, a Z Buzzz will. In certain situations I may need one or the other depending on that.

The whole Buzzz vs. Roc thing has been done to death, by now it should be obvious that both molds are badass and serve a good purpose.

Danforth said:
Isn't this a bit like asking if you can throw both a Roc and a TeeChicken?

I don't think anyone would consider these 2 to be overlaping.

Roc=shorter than Buzzz
Teebird=longer than Stalker

The Stalker and Buzzz therefore are a lot closer to one another.

Both the roc and the PD are staples of my bag. I do like to carry a disc in between, both the stalker and the leopard hold this down for me pretty well. I've never thrown a buzz but I'd imagine that if I did the overlap would be more prevalent because the buzz is longer and straighter than the roc.

This all may go by the wayside when I get a pPD super trashed. If it gets to the point when I can throw it ~60% or so and get it to go straight for a good bit from a hyzer and get it to flip over from a flat release the stalker and leo will be in danger.

Mark Ellis said:
I agree with most of this quality post but this by far sums it up for me.

discspeed said:
Teebird=longer than Stalker

Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me, as in my personal experience my Stalkers go as long as my Teebirds and often a little further.
I don't disagree though that with the Buzzz being such a long mid that it makes the Stalker feel a bit redundant.

How do I edit out a response? It won't go away...its like herpes or something.

FierceTable said:
Every bit of that made sense Mark. I was with you...right up until you mentioned the blonde and her sister. I carry both discs..why do I have to choose one girl over the other? I've got a front seat and a back seat...

Sorry Fierce Table, with all due respect, I believe that makes you a slut.

Not that being a slut is all that bad a thing. Some of my closest friends....really would like to be sluts if they could just pull it off.

Latest posts