• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

BuzzzChief 2018

BuzzzChief

Double Eagle Member
Didn't do one of these last year because the bag didn't really change from 2016. Definitely a lot of duplication in my bag, this is the full tourney setup so there are a lot of backups. I regularly play with an 8-10 disc bag where I just lose the specialty discs and backups. There's almost no difference.

16 years playing - some of these discs have been in the bag 10+ years.

RHBH primary, RHFH up to 250-275 max (due to wrecking my shoulder as a RHFH thrower in my 20's)

Putters up to 275-300' depending on ceiling, I will throw a putter as long as there's enough height
Mids 250-310'
Fairways to 360'
Distance drivers to 390' typical throw, 410-420' if I'm having a good day

Max D:
174 Outlaw, Sparkle - headwinds & big hyzers, don't throw it much anymore. PD works better.
159 Rampage, Skyline - between my Outlaws in stability, very long/fast, still testing
167 Outlaw, Pinnacle - understable, second run, primary distance driver

Control D:
174 PD, C-line - 3rd run, moderately OS. This is my longest disc in a stiff headwind.
174 PD, S-line - fairly beat, straight with a mild finish.
172 Nemesis, Sparkle - rollers, hard right turns, crazy tailwinds

Fairway:
172 Firebird, CE - beat, forehands, thumbers, get out of jail
175 Firebird, Champion - 111X, beat, main backhand OS disc
174 Rival, Pinnacle - straight stable with a strong finish, almost as long as my PD's
174 Rival, Special Blend - turns a little and comes back
174 Patriot, Icon - dead straight and glidey
174 Patriot, Pinnacle - understable but holds the line

Midrange:
175 Gator, Champion - pearly PFN, never letting this one go. Gator shots
179 Ghost, Gravity - Still straight stable, this thing is wearing SO slowly for Gravity.
178 Ghost, Protege - Getting beat, flips over and fights out.
177 Comet, X - don't really trust the Comet anymore. Will be knocked out once a Ghost gets there.

Driving/Approach Putters:
175 Scale, Armor - First run, domey and crazy overstable
175 Scale, Fossil - Proto, beat, straight with a hard finish. Main approach disc.
172 Wizard, Soft - Old small stamp, slightly understable

Putting Putters:
172 Wizard, Medium - beat up but old and trusty.
173 Wizard, Supersoft - very firm for an SS and stable. Windy or wet conditions.

I think I could use a super-understable 7-speed. Also need to beat up that protege Ghost some more, drop the Comet, and cycle in a fresh Ghost. Otherwise I feel pretty good, unless anyone has ideas!

I always regret getting rid of discs that were in the bag for a long time. Kicking myself over selling some of my old Rocs!

Here's my late season update:

2x Outlaw - Sparkle for OS duties, lightweight Pinnacle for Max D. Rampage experiment is over, 23mm is my max rim.
3x PD - Fresh S-line brings the beef. C-line for hyzers/headwinds, 169 P-line for straight line D. Lost my perfectly beat S-line :(
2x Firebird - same CE and 11X that have been in the bag forever
2x Rival - Pinnacle is straight with a hard finish, Special Blend has a tick of HST
3x Patriot - Icon for dead straight, Pinnacle for turnover, beat Excel for rollers
1x Pursuit - trying out a Glow Pursuit instead of my old Gator. Faster and further, with more skip and a better FH grip.
3x Ghost - Icon for slightly OS, Gravity for dead straight, Protege for slightly US
1x Comet - I just can't seem to get a Ghost or Roc to that sweet spot. I did just pick up a couple sweet old beat up Ching Rocs (maybe? They're full color round stamps and super flat) at PIAS that might threaten this.

No change on the putters, still using the same Scales and Wizards. I don't mess with that part of my bag unless I lose or crack something.

Picked up some new discs and did a bunch of field work today. Turns out that an S-CD2 is a very good replacement for the beat S-PD that I lost. So that's awesome.

I'm always surprised when I do head-to-head fieldwork comparisons with my bag and any potential new additions. Sometimes it turns out that my discs don't really behave the way I think they do, once I throw them all the same way in the same conditions. It's easy to be influenced by isolated events that happen during rounds.

For example- For my two Rivals, I could have sworn that my Pinnacle was both longer AND more overstable than my Special Blend. When I threw them in a variety of wind directions in an open field today, it became clear that the Pinnacle is definitely longer, but only because it's slightly LESS overstable. I must have torqued over the orange SB at some point in time and since then in my head, it's been the flippier of the two.

do you think you could skip speed 7s all together and just roll with speed 9s

I would probably be more likely to go the other direction. Twist my arm and I will drop the 9/10 speeds. I throw my Rivals/Patriots about 360', and my Outlaws 400'. 40 feet is really not that much of a gap. I find the speed 7's power down better and cover a wider range of distances accurately.

More than anything, I throw the 9/10 speeds where I would like to throw a wide rimmed driver, but I don't have much side-to-side room to work with. Or maybe I don't have the height to comfortably mash on a Rival/Patriot, so I'll throw a PD/CD2 on a lower line.

For what it's worth, 10 years ago when I was playing better than today, my driver setup was something like:

3 Flashes (or Wraiths)
2 Firebirds
2 Teebirds (or Eagles)
2 Leopards

Since then I've really just replaced the speed 11 Flashes with slightly longer but more inconsistent speed 12 Outlaws, and that led me to add "control" drivers for situations where I don't trust the Outlaw. If I were smart, I would go back to the old way and just carry one Outlaw for wide open holes. But now I'm married to my Pinnacle Outlaw and C-PD.

I would probably be more likely to go the other direction. Twist my arm and I will drop the 9/10 speeds. I throw my Rivals/Patriots about 360', and my Outlaws 400'. 40 feet is really not that much of a gap. I find the speed 7's power down better and cover a wider range of distances accurately.

More than anything, I throw the 9/10 speeds where I would like to throw a wide rimmed driver, but I don't have much side-to-side room to work with. Or maybe I don't have the height to comfortably mash on a Rival/Patriot, so I'll throw a PD/CD2 on a lower line.

My roaming thunder cd2 flies the same as my newer s line pd. I paired it with a regular c line cd2 and it fits all the lines, and let me remove the pd (and a beat up Mint yellow alpha that flew like a sexy bird). The roaming thunder discs are pleasantly stable and you can really mash on them without turn

My roaming thunder cd2 flies the same as my newer s line pd. I paired it with a regular c line cd2 and it fits all the lines, and let me remove the pd (and a beat up Mint yellow alpha that flew like a sexy bird). The roaming thunder discs are pleasantly stable and you can really mash on them without turn

I wanted to try one of those, but lately I'm really avoiding any special runs unless they are the same price as production runs. Seems silly to pay an extra 6 or 8 bucks per disc because if I like it, I'll want to buy a couple more backups and then it's getting expensive. Same for the Dark Maul PD's. I want one for the stamp alone, but I'm pretty much done paying $20+ for single discs.

I've been hearing the domey s line are similar. Haven't checked personally yet. I totally agree with you, but had too many beers one night. 3 days later, ding dong.

Latest posts