• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling it Frolf...

The bird feeder response actually made me laugh out loud. I only like frolf because it is easy to say.

The other good point is frisbee is a brand, which i totally get. I do now call it disc golf to anyone new but the friends I play with back home all call it frolf. They do know a hyzer from a howitzer but only a few of them lol.

The brand/sport distinction is a little silly if you blow your nose with kleenex, clean your ears with q-tips, have ever xeroxed something, taken aspirin, used cellophane, ridden an escalator, walked on astroturf, watched a videotape, sat in a jacuzzi etc. Trademarked brand names get used as generic terms constantly.

The brand/sport distinction is a little silly if you blow your nose with kleenex, clean your ears with q-tips, have ever xeroxed something, taken aspirin, used cellophane, ridden an escalator, walked on astroturf, watched a videotape, sat in a jacuzzi etc. Trademarked brand names get used as generic terms constantly.

People buy Kleenex more than other things because people ask you to pick up kleenex. If it's avoidable, using the brand name should be avoided. People that are going to play frisbee golf are more likely to show up with an 80 mold than people going to play disc golf.

People buy Kleenex more than other things because people ask you to pick up kleenex. If it's avoidable, using the brand name should be avoided. People that are going to play frisbee golf are more likely to show up with an 80 mold than people going to play disc golf.

Are you sure about that? I've never once seen a noob show up with an 80 mold. The vast majority of the new folks I've met at courses have one high speed driver from innova and call it a frisbee.

You're also ignoring the rest of the things I mentioned. Do you avoid calling moving staircases "escalators". How about aspirin, do you make sure to call that acetylsalicylic acid so people know you're not just referring to the Bayer brand?

I just use the term "Disc Golf" and I show them a Youtube video of Klimo, Mcbeth, Wiggins, or some other guy or girl playing. They say "you can do that?" I say "yes, all but the 600 foot drive and 80 foot putt for birdie part"......Then I show them a player hitting a tree or hitting water or missing putt. I point out my game is closer to that. They ask "so is it fun?".....

"Yes it is, especially when your buddy drives into a deep woods abyss."

For 10 years I worked for a company who had one client, Proctor & Gamble. We had to learn to never call a tissue a Kleenex. To this day I still call it a tissue.
And we always had Puffs in the office.

It's like when I ask for a Coke and they say, is Pepsi ok? **** no it's not...

I'm with beeker on this one, except I hate the word Frolf but I love the word Frisbee :)

You're also ignoring the rest of the things I mentioned. Do you avoid calling moving staircases "escalators". How about aspirin, do you make sure to call that acetylsalicylic acid so people know you're not just referring to the Bayer brand?

I made a general statement that applies to all of those products.

I was that noob with an 80 mold.

I'm not a fan of the word frolf although I have used it. Sounds too much like I'm ready to upchuck. Mostly I use frisbee golf. No one seems to mind.

I made a general statement that applies to all of those products.

I was that noob with an 80 mold.

I don't really think it does, but that's not all that important. Whether or not you think people should use those generic terms, just about everybody does. It's a little silly to worry about "frisbee" when things like hula hoops, yo yos and superballs are in the lexicon too.

Unless of course you're a really serious disc golfer, then it's really important to protect the trademark of a company that barely involves itself in the sport currently and that hasn't been an innovator in the field in decades. :|

I don't take people serious who still say firechicken instead of firebird. I am appalled by that one... :sick:

I don't really think it does, but that's not all that important. Whether or not you think people should use those generic terms, just about everybody does. It's a little silly to worry about "frisbee" when things like hula hoops, yo yos and superballs are in the lexicon too.

Unless of course you're a really serious disc golfer, then it's really important to protect the trademark of a company that barely involves itself in the sport currently and that hasn't been an innovator in the field in decades. :|

Respect the Frisbee! Pay homage to Wham-O, Son!

It's also not the WFFF.

I just think it's something that should be avoided. Not promoted. I care absolutely zero if someone else uses a term I don't. I like soda. I'll go grab you a pop if you ask me to.

Trademarks lose a lot of legal weight when they take on everyday use like Kleenex.

I'd say it depends on the credibility of the person using it within the scene. Frolf/folf/dilf tends to come of in a condescending/mocking way from an outsider, whereas a guy who's a club member or local that's balls deep in it could say that word all day long and nobody would have a problem. I'm actually surprised that disc golfers don't get made fun of by outsides for carrying around purses more than anything

Meh. I grew up throwing frisbees, I did K9 freestyle frisbee with Forest, the first 8 years of his life were spent chasing "Frisbees" can't teach an old dog to say discs. The word frisbee has always come out naturally in conversation. Sometimes I can tell it really offends someone, I shake my head - it's just a word