• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Caltrop [Putter]

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
This has been touched on in some of the other Latitude threads, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Production runs were released last week, with a few promos being out for over a month now. I got mine in the mail yesterday, and got to throw it a little bit.

The disc has a comfortable thumb trac, much like the the one on a rhyno. In the medium plastic, it felt really good in the hand, and I hope there will be premium plastics coming.

Thrown flat with 200 ft. of power, the disc will stay flat for almost the whole flight, only fading at the very end, only about ten feet to the left.

On an anhyzer with the same power, the disc flew on that angle for about a quarter of the flight, flipped to flat, and then faded out a little less than that of the flat release.

When thrown on a hyzer, this disc was money. It held the hyzer all 200 ft. of the flight, and was not a dump fade at all. It flew on a direct line the whole time, almost as if it was a magnet to the eventual landing point.

Hope this review was helpful. Anybody else try it out yet?

I have three, all close to max weight, Hard, Medium and Megasoft. Haven't been able to throw them much yet aside from some backyard putts but it flies pretty well for those. I don't have classes on Friday so will probably get out and toss them around the local short course. Haven't made a Hucking Aces video in awhile, so might give that a shot.

For me the Hard and Medium Caltrops feel exactly like the old Ching Tanks. The Megasoft is a little different just because it is soooooooo floppy. I don't even know if I could get a good drive with it, but it putts nice.

as far as driving putters go, (ones you can really rip on and not get flippy) which ones would the caltrop compare to?

Pig/Rhyno/ pa2 , etc?

I bought 2 max weight, one soft, one medium. The two I bought are similar in flight the soft being maybe a tad less stable than the medium. However I would not describe either as Overstable. Both are straight for me. Fly like a seasoned rhyno. Not bad, but not sure if they will make the bag. Rim is a little deep for my taste.

I bought 2 max weight, one soft, one medium. The two I bought are similar in flight the soft being maybe a tad less stable than the medium. However I would not describe either as Overstable. Both are straight for me. Fly like a seasoned rhyno. Not bad, but not sure if they will make the bag. Rim is a little deep for my taste.

Sounds like the Slammer will be more your taste if you want more stability and shallower. I love my Rhynos, but knowing we will have all of the choices of plastics in the Caltrop and Slammer is slightly tempting.

Sounds like the Slammer will be more your taste if you want more stability and shallower. I love my Rhynos, but knowing we will have all of the choices of plastics in the Caltrop and Slammer is slightly tempting.

From what I'm reading I would agree.

Yeah I went and checked them out, anxiously waiting on a rhyno replacement from trilogy. I'm hoping the slammer is going to be a little more shallow. The Caltrop seemed a little deeper than the rhyno.

The Caltrop was actually a little less deep than I was expecting. I was hoping it would work as a forehand approach disc, and so far so good - the Shield and the Sinus are too deep for that purpose, getting hung up on the fingers from time to time.

The Caltrop was actually a little less deep than I was expecting. I was hoping it would work as a forehand approach disc, and so far so good - the Shield and the Sinus are too deep for that purpose, getting hung up on the fingers from time to time.

Same here. The Caltrop isn't that deep at all.

Same here. The Caltrop isn't that deep at all.

Yeah not really getting where people are saying the Caltrop is deep? Its not the most shallow disc out there, but feels to me to be about the same depth as a Rhyno.

Flight is pretty good. Very stable-stable. Resistant to turn but not a lot of fade. Holds good lines. Nothing super special and wont make my bag but its neutralish enough that I can give them away to newer players and know they can get some good use out of it.

Flight is pretty good. Very stable-stable. Resistant to turn but not a lot of fade. Holds good lines. Nothing super special and wont make my bag but its neutralish enough that I can give them away to newer players and know they can get some good use out of it.

Yeah, definitely not as OS as I was expecting. Kind of flies like a Pure but with less glide, which is actually useful to me. And more comfortable to FH than a Pure. It's early, but I think it's going to make the bag - and I don't change my bag around much.

Yeah not really getting where people are saying the Caltrop is deep? Its not the most shallow disc out there, but feels to me to be about the same depth as a Rhyno.

Would be interested in a Hucking Aces comparison between your Caltrops and Shields when/if you ever are looking for vid ideas.

Latest posts