• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calvin Heimburg #45971

How did it take THIS long to get a Calvin thread!? Bring back the fro! Love listening to Jerm bust out laughing while trying to commentate.

How did it take THIS long to get a Calvin thread!?
Calvin has come a long way since CCDG for covered his breakout Worlds performance in 2015 (I think he was just out of high school or a freshman in college at this point - not quite as young as Buhr but close).

1000 rated since beginning of 2015 and 1040 rated since end of 2019. He didn't start full time touring till after graduating college (end of 2018?) and kicked it off with a 2019 LVC NT win. Went on to win the 2019 NT finale at the HOF Classic (WR Jackson) in a epic duel with Adam Hammes.

Calvin has come a long way since CCDG for covered his breakout Worlds performance in 2015 (I think he was just out of high school or a freshman in college at this point - not quite as young as Buhr but close).

1000 rated since beginning of 2015 and 1040 rated since end of 2019. He didn't start full time touring till after graduating college (end of 2018?) and kicked it off with a 2019 LVC NT win. Went on to win the 2019 NT finale at the HOF Classic (WR Jackson) in a epic duel with Adam Hammes.

This remains my most watched (in the post-pro era) and favorite round of disc golf.

I don't know the stats but Calvin has to be one of the most consistent players right? The dude is almost always lurking to take a tournament win.

I doubt he has the highest win %, but he's gotta be up there for most top 5's.

I don't know the stats but Calvin has to be one of the most consistent players right? The dude is almost always lurking to take a tournament win.

I doubt he has the highest win %, but he's gotta be up there for most top 5's.

Since he started touring in 2019 he has a lower top 10-% and top 3-% than Paul, Ricky and Eagle at events both Calvin and the other has attended. He has everyone else beat, including CDick, JC, KJUSA, etc.

Since he came into his own in 2020 only Ricky has him beat in top3 and top10. Paul has him in top10s, but they're tied on podiums.

And the past couple of years Calvin's the podium king, but Ricky gets more top 10s.

Calvin sounds like he has somehow has more cheek & swagger each year as he comes into his own, though I found this worth bringing up for internet speculation.

I'm probably cherry-picking/recency biasing my way through the data, but I feel that drop to 16th at Champion's Cup on Calvin's behalf:

FmAGD3Z.png

He has obviously placed very high in a number of majors in his career so far. But I find it interesting in a season where he's in a league of his own and winning more often in general that he put up a much more pedestrian (for him) performance at CC. In that case, I always thought of Calvin's low-line attack game as an additional advantage (on top of overall excellence) in the woods over most players, but maybe not?

Lack of Mamba mentality? Jitters? Coincidence? What distinguishes Ricky & Calvin-like consistent excellence from McBeth's rancor at the majors? Do they need to stay up and run on treadmills more often at 1am when they have friends over?

Calvin sounds like he has somehow has more cheek & swagger each year as he comes into his own, though I found this worth bringing up for internet speculation.

I'm probably cherry-picking/recency biasing my way through the data, but I feel that drop to 16th at Champion's Cup on Calvin's behalf:

FmAGD3Z.png

He has obviously placed very high in a number of majors in his career so far. But I find it interesting in a season where he's in a league of his own and winning more often in general that he put up a much more pedestrian (for him) performance at CC. In that case, I always thought of Calvin's low-line attack game as an additional advantage (on top of overall excellence) in the woods over most players, but maybe not?

Lack of Mamba mentality? Jitters? Coincidence? What distinguishes Ricky & Calvin-like consistent excellence from McBeth's rancor at the majors? Do they need to stay up and run on treadmills more often at 1am when they have friends over?
Most likely possibilities in my eyes:
a. Calvin just isn't perfect, and he had a bad weekend at the worst time (Major weekend).
b. Calvin has started to feel the pressure of not having a M on his victory list.
c. Calvin took the weekend for granted, given his strong past performance on that track.
d. Calvin was out on the town all week with Jon Rahm celebrating his Masters victory instead of prepping.

Dang, only early May and Vinny's already won almost 30K. Not bad for a guy who could easily be making six figures in his field after graduating from UF. And he's doing a darn good job as a pro disc golfer. If he keeps this up, he might make six figures this year, if not close to.

But I find it interesting in a season where he's in a league of his own and winning more often in general that he put up a much more pedestrian (for him) performance at CC. In that case, I always thought of Calvin's low-line attack game as an additional advantage (on top of overall excellence) in the woods over most players, but maybe not?

Lack of Mamba mentality? Jitters? Coincidence? What distinguishes Ricky & Calvin-like consistent excellence from McBeth's rancor at the majors?

Don't really think his low line attack gives an advantage in the woods at WR Jackson but it does help on windy courses. Champions Cup was more keeping on the fairway and avoiding bad/early kicks and taking bogies (sometimes hard when release angle is off slightly). That course has been cleaned up so players can scramble more easily and putt from further out. Golfers could disc down and still score which brought more people into contention, shifting away from distance drivers to more fairways off the tee, good approaches, and putting. The weather was very calm compared to a lot of the tournaments recently so the putting stats were a bit elevated from C2 overall.

Calvin was 1st in GIR C2 but 22nd GIR C1 and 56th in C2 putting for the tournament. Likely some upshots/drives or roll away putts leaving him 40+ foot comebacks which can be tough to manage. Isaac Robinson was 6th in GIR C2 but 1st in GIR C1. He only had 9 C2 putts all 4 rounds compared to Heimburg's 29. The other podium golfers had ~15-20 C2 putts.

Pulled this from the Eagle's shoulder impingement thread, because I wanted to focus on Vinny in light of something Brychanus said.

I don't know how most people view it, but as much as I like parity, I also like it when you have a couple of "big bads" on the scene, even if it is part of a "changing of the guard." This year feels weird because while Calvin is crushing, you don't have the commensurate Ricky, Paul, and Eagle trio in the dogfight. I do really enjoy the others bubbling up and the new energy it brings, but it doesn't feel great when it's because people are going down for one reason or another rather than being beaten at the peak of their game.

With all the usual suspects looking "not so suspect," you gotta figure this might be Vinny's best shot at winning the biggun.

Yes, the field is deep, and a lot of players have been winning big events, and Ricky or Paul could get a motivational bug up their ass feeling like they got something to prove given how their seasons have gone to this point.

But this is probably the widest that door has been open for the guy from Safety Harbor.

With all the usual suspects looking "not so suspect," you gotta figure this might be Vinny's best shot at winning the biggun.

I think it's probably his best chance thus far to win a major, but I'm not sure it's his best chance to win Worlds. Since 2018 he's gone 16th, 7th, 6th, 7th and 14th at Smuggs. Certainly not bad, but he's never ended less than 9 strokes from 1st.

Compared to most other tour courses that where he's usually either won or come very close to it, I just don't think he plays his best golf (relative to the field) at Smuggs.

Well if history has anything to say, last time it was at Smuggs, Barsby won, so really, its anyones guess