• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do DG pros fake their personalities? (hot take)

Nothing wrong with good-natured razzing or genuine shows of emotion, but I have never been a fan of manufactured trash talk and whatnot.

Sportsmanship is admirable, especially under duress.

You want to see how "fun" that is when there is real animosity, watch the skins round with Hammes and Gibson. The joy is noticeably gone.

Or any card with Paul and Ricky. Not sure I ever have seen them talk or fist bump/high five during a round. Or even acknowledge the other one except on the tees of 1 or 18. I am aware of the comments Paul made about Ricky back in the day, looks like the feud will continue forever? Could be wrong, I am not a compulsive watcher of DG, mostly just the courses I have played or want to play.

OTOH, here's a list of all the players who dislike James Conrad:

After the first phase of disc golf where everyone wants everyone to win against the inanimate course, the next phase could be intentionally missing shots to help out a friend.

Ha- just kidding, but made you look.

If I'm reading all this right, then there needs to be more media attention on disc golf. Seriously - the most uplifting game! No rivalries or factions - all are supporting all, and rooting for everyone to win! It doesn't matter which pros play for which sponsors, because everyone wants Discraft and Innova and Prodigy and MVP and Clash … to play equally well against the course. Pretty brilliant!

So much this.

You want to play or watch some other sport, watch that one. You like disc golf? Awesome. You don't like disc golf, that's fine too.

You want to "grow" the sport of disc golf by making it into something else? Hard pass.

Look, if you want to see friendly razzing, watch GK Pro skins. You want to see how "fun" that is when there is real animosity, watch the skins round with Hammes and Gibson. The joy is noticeably gone.

Ugh Hammes is just the worst.

Ugh Hammes is just the worst.

IDK, he seems to have mellowed somewhere in the last year. To me he just looked like the guy who was gripping way too hard and that lead to some asshattery.

But, IDK, I'm not on tour and I don't know him personally.

Or any card with Paul and Ricky. Not sure I ever have seen them talk or fist bump/high five during a round. Or even acknowledge the other one except on the tees of 1 or 18. I am aware of the comments Paul made about Ricky back in the day, looks like the feud will continue forever? Could be wrong, I am not a compulsive watcher of DG, mostly just the courses I have played or want to play.

OTOH, here's a list of all the players who dislike James Conrad:

Paul vs. Climo
Paul vs. Shusterick
Paul vs. Ricky

I think I see a pattern forming...

Oh great, another holier than thou Chiefs fan :eyeroll:

Go RRRRAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEERRRRRSSSSS!

I don't think the mindset of golf/DG geared that way. I get what you mean though - as a hardcore RAIDER fan and a huge hockey fan/player, having a little bit of passion in a rivalry can be a great show for fans. However, I don't see it going over well with the DG community. From what I see on this forum; a bunch of old guys will cry and "QuIt wAtChInG cOvErAgE."

You're both wrong, go Broncos!

Anyway, Disc Golf and football/hockey, etc... are totally different sports. If you play hockey, you probably recognize that the headspace/though process that makes you successful on the ice just doesn't work on the course. As a goalie I'm a little more methodical and analytical on the ice than many of the skaters I play with, but even my "goalie brain" doesn't really work well on the course. On the ice you're competing on every shift, every hit, every shot, etc... On the course sometimes you've got to jut take your bad beat, make the best recovery you can, and plan to get the stroke you just lost back 3-4 holes down the road. Trying to "go for it" on every shot just results in lower scores. Well, that's my experience anyway.

All of that is just a long-winded way of saying that I think the top competitors of each sport are simply wired differently from each other. Not saying that Paul McBeth is any less competitive that Conner McDavid, just that they go about achieving their goals differently. Because of that different thought process, they come across differently.

After the first phase of disc golf where everyone wants everyone to win against the inanimate course, the next phase could be intentionally missing shots to help out a friend.

If I'm reading all this right, then there needs to be more media attention on disc golf. Seriously - the most uplifting game! No rivalries or factions - all are supporting all, and rooting for everyone to win! It doesn't matter which pros play for which sponsors, because everyone wants Discraft and Innova and Prodigy and MVP and Clash … to play equally well against the course. Pretty brilliant!

I don't get the sarcasm. In tennis, do you root for Prince? In golf do you root for Titleist? Sponsorship doesn't matter unless you are sponsored, or a fanboy. Players have no loyalty to a manufacturer, and vice versa, why should you?

I would definitely not want to play a round with you. It doesn't sound like it would be much fun, tbh.

I don't get the sarcasm. In tennis, do you root for Prince? In golf do you root for Titleist? Sponsorship doesn't matter unless you are sponsored, or a fanboy. Players have no loyalty to a manufacturer, and vice versa, why should you?

I would definitely not want to play a round with you. It doesn't sound like it would be much fun, tbh.

Wow. I thought this was a place for conversations, but it's good to know there are disc golfers who actually voice opinions about other players, which verifies my original take, lol

Wow. I thought this was a place for conversations, but it's good to know there are disc golfers who actually voice opinions about other players, which verifies my original take, lol

OK, I'll play along, out of boredom, against my better judgement. Which part of your statement which I will paste below, was conversation? I just seemed like veiled criticism of the camaraderie in the disc golf community. I'm sure you can find a group of hooligans to play with who meet your needs, but don't expect the game to change on your behalf, lol.

Notice I italicized the snarky, non conversational parts. So you don't get to play victim. Shrug.

"Originally Posted by seedlings View Post

If I'm reading all this right, then there needs to be more media attention on disc golf. Seriously - the most uplifting game! No rivalries or factions - all are supporting all, and rooting for everyone to win! It doesn't matter which pros play for which sponsors, because everyone wants Discraft and Innova and Prodigy and MVP and Clash … to play equally well against the course. Pretty brilliant!"

OK, I'll play along, out of boredom, against my better judgement. Which part of your statement which I will paste below, was conversation? I just seemed like veiled criticism of the camaraderie in the disc golf community. I'm sure you can find a group of hooligans to play with who meet your needs, but don't expect the game to change on your behalf, lol.

Notice I italicized the snarky, non conversational parts. So you don't get to play victim. Shrug.

"Originally Posted by seedlings View Post

If I'm reading all this right, then there needs to be more media attention on disc golf. Seriously - the most uplifting game! No rivalries or factions - all are supporting all, and rooting for everyone to win! It doesn't matter which pros play for which sponsors, because everyone wants Discraft and Innova and Prodigy and MVP and Clash … to play equally well against the course. Pretty brilliant!"

I appreciate that your the first person to actually engage dialogue!

I don't expect the game to change. My original reason for posting/observation/question/comment-for-conversation was noticing how vastly different Disc Golf player (and fan) personalities are compared to other sports. I could have stated it in a boring way, but I intentionally decided to make it spicy as a 'hot take', which means, of course, people are free to, and expected to, disagree.

Moving on, the italicized portions you emphasized above are (of course) intentional. In my mind it is unreasonable to assume/expect that every player is only playing against the course, and only wants the other players to do better than them, which is the sentiment expressed in most comments. So, I pressed those comments by taking them in the direction of their logical extreme. (Similar to the angle with which I led off my OP). Again, I could have said it in a more boring way, sure.

Through the other comments I have realized the differences I trivialized. There is a significant 'me against the course' drive. I completely agree that it is awesome to watch cardmates throw terrific shots, even when I don't. I also know that if I shoot well, and the guy with the #1 tag also shoots well, I would prefer to shoot one better than him. I expect he'd rather shoot one better than me. I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
I appreciate that your the first person to actually engage dialogue!

I don't expect the game to change. My original reason for posting/observation/question/comment-for-conversation was noticing how vastly different Disc Golf player (and fan) personalities are compared to other sports. I could have stated it in a boring way, but I intentionally decided to make it spicy as a 'hot take', which means, of course, people are free to, and expected to, disagree.

Moving on, the italicized portions you emphasized above are (of course) intentional. In my mind it is unreasonable to assume/expect that every player is only playing against the course, and only wants the other players to do better than them, which is the sentiment expressed in most comments. So, I pressed those comments by taking them in the direction of their logical extreme. (Similar to the angle with which I led off my OP). Again, I could have said it in a more boring way, sure.

Through the other comments I have realized the differences I trivialized. There is a significant 'me against the course' drive. I completely agree that it is awesome to watch cardmates throw terrific shots, even when I don't. I also know that if I shoot well, and the guy with the #1 tag also shoots well, I would prefer to shoot one better than him. I expect he'd rather shoot one better than me. I'm ok with that.

It is really a mind game. In a competitive situation, at the end of the day of course your scores are being compared to the rest of the field and you hope at least not to finish last. And you can't help but follow your friends shots and scores.

But on a shot to shot, hole to hole basis, the mind set for me at least is me against the course. Or maybe against the course designer. I have to try and figure out the best way to get to the basket and navigate the various obstacles. If my focus is on beating Jim, then I am focusing on the wrong thing.

I like the conversation about Kristin Tattar. She is an exceptionally sound strategist on the course. You never hear her bad mouthing or getting in the face of her competitors. It's all about navigating the course in as few strokes as possible. I honestly think Calvin Heimberg's penchant for trash talking gets in the way of him actually winning anything. And then there is Nikko.

When I first started again a few years ago, there is one guy who tried to install himself as my rival, lol. I simply ignored him and just focused on throwing my discs. He would always look at the scores after each round and report to me how far he was behind me. One tourney he was so focused on catching me that after I picked up 2 strokes on him after he thought he was going to gain strokes on me, he refused to talk to the card the rest of the round. It was no fun being around him. I won our division but it did take extra energy to block him out. He brought bad energy to the group. And it wasn't personal to me, he played disc golf with a football players mentality and it took away from his game.

I even told him between rounds that I loved that he was focused on me so much because it took away his focus from his game. That just pissed him off, lol.

While we're discussing other sports that dg should be more like, I promote figure skating. Imagine it. Costumes, music, judges scoring every run up, throw, and walk down the fairway. HB's mom crouched down in the parking lot with a tire iron. Retired disc golfers reduced to performing in the fairwaycapades.

While we're discussing other sports that dg should be more like, I promote figure skating. Imagine it. Costumes, music, judges scoring every run up, throw, and walk down the fairway. HB's mom crouched down in the parking lot with a tire iron. Retired disc golfers reduced to performing in the fairwaycapades.

I love your creativity but we may need to go another step. Pick your sport.

Getting body checked off the tee box would increase the intrigue as well.

i love dgers who's attitude is serious when addressing sportsmanship, but after that i like the one that doesn't take himself or the sport to seriously by having an attitude, 'hey at the end of the day aren't we all just throwing frisbees in the park!' ;)

I love your creativity but we may need to go another step. Pick your sport.

Getting body checked off the tee box would increase the intrigue as well.

Rumor has it that back in the day Lavone Wolfe would occasionally whack competitors with rocks while they were on the tee box. No film to confirm. [emoji106][emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Jerm and Joel Freeman are IN for that costume round.

Latest posts