• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a disc be too flippy?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Maybe this is a stupid question but I've noticed that my most understable discs are almost impossible to have fade back. My 172 champ monarch for example, has to be thrown with extreme hyzer and with like 60% of my power to go anywhere near straight. Some of this probably me but I can get some clean throws every now and then and still I have to baby it. I know it can't be all my form's fault either b/c I'm pretty good at keeping it from turning and burning, they just flip over and keep turning until they run out of steam. Can really good players throw super flippy discs and keep them from turning into the sunset?

That's what Monarchs are made for, heh. That's their intended flight path really. Champ takes years and years and years to beat in, but I"m sure you knew that already. But, seriously those disc are just made for that. Try a Valkyrie if you want it to come back. If not, grab a Beast.

The Monarch are great for down hill drives, lower power players, or those just long long annies you just don't want to come back.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I've noticed that my most understable discs are almost impossible to have fade back. My 172 champ monarch for example, has to be thrown with extreme hyzer and with like 60% of my power to go anywhere near straight. Some of this probably me but I can get some clean throws every now and then and still I have to baby it. I know it can't be all my form's fault either b/c I'm pretty good at keeping it from turning and burning, they just flip over and keep turning until they run out of steam. Can really good players throw super flippy discs and keep them from turning into the sunset?

I have (or had...can't seem to find it and don't remember losing it) a Monarch that did the same thing, which is the intended flight path for that disc. I don't call that too flippy, I call it doing what the disc was designed for. Just pick a different disc if you want it to come back. I don't carry a long driver for this type of shot because at long distances it's a very hard line for me to control, but I keep a Stratus in my bag for this type of mid-range shot, which is much easier to consistently control.

^^ Oo so yeah they turn a little less than a roadrunner, but pretty much the same disc

Theoretically the Monarch should fly further and faster than the Roadrunner while displaying the same flight characteristics. The Monarch, being that it is a faster disc needs to be thrown harder then the Roadrunner to fly like it should though.

the Latitiude 64 Opto Vision is the most flippy disc I have ever thrown, It rolled when thrown with extreme hyzer, so yes a disc can be too flippy....for you. Someone with a lot less arm speed might like the Vision. I like the Monarch for hyzer flip straight shots. Great glide. I like stable discs for rollers so they won't turn over too quick.

the Latitiude 64 Opto Vision is the most flippy disc I have ever thrown, It rolled when thrown with extreme hyzer, so yes a disc can be too flippy....for you. Someone with a lot less arm speed might like the Vision. I like the Monarch for hyzer flip straight shots. Great glide. I like stable discs for rollers so they won't turn over too quick.

The only way I've found to throw a Vision at full power is off of a hill with extreme hyzer. The added elevation keeps it from turning into a worm burner and it will actually glide super far because it just keeps turning. But for flat ground I have to power-back quite a bit to keep it from turning into a roller.

I am still a newbie, but I bought a Monarch the other week and it turns a little that fades to pretty much a straight path from where I threw it. I believe its 173. It has not gone right really at all.

WTH. I had a 165 and it was more stable than my Valk, Beast or even Teebird. I wanted it to be flippy.

you just need a different disc bro. monarchs are supposed to do that. keep the disc though...flip-hyzers are great shots to have in your arsenal.

you just need more overstable plastic.:thmbup:

I like to throw an Innova Kite and it behaves the same way as the monarch. But it is a terrriffic disc on non windy days to throw straight. I get more distance than any other mid but I really have to work at it on the release. I also can not torgue it very hard or it is going to flip.

You can add wrist roll under at the hit to keep a disc more stable. Also make sure your x step goes left to right of tee pad and reach back to the left is in line for pure hyzer.

I have a couple of Champion Beasts that are like that. They still in good shape. They just seem to break in quicker than other molds.

I agree 100% with what everybody's said BUT yall are getting a little too hung up on the Monarch, I was waxing philosophical on understable discs in general, i.e. is it possible that a disc can be too flippy regardless of one's flawless form etc.

Techno, you gave up on that Monarch too soon, I've had a couple that were new Valk stable as well, you have to break in those phillys, they're weird like that.