• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't drive...

So I added some more distance this year and for the most part have gotten all around better as the summer went on...

But as of late I can not drive straight to save my life. I am releasing everything late and to the right hard. (usually with anhyzer too) I can slow down and I can usually get my throws looking good with no approach, but as soon as I add the two step and x step I lose all ability to throw a (hyzer).

I am very frustrated and I am hoping that someone might have some pointers to help me get this corrected.

Note: I am RHBH thrower

When I find myself having similar issues, it is usually caused by rounding or being too upright.

I think you'd need to post a video to get more accurate advice though.

Fifty fiiiive!

I have had this same exact issue lately. I finally figured the culprits for me, and it may solve it for you:

1. My grip - one of my friends noticed that I was holding the disc straight down the center of my hand. I would have the edge go directly down the palm line that is right by the flabbier part next to the thumb (if that makes sense). Any way, that whole part of my hand was resting on top of the disc, causing a lot of drag. I lowered the point that disc rests in my hand, so that the edge of the disc is lying parallel with the first palm line that is directly below your knuckles. This decreased the physical contact that I had with the disc, which used to make me release wobbly and with Anny.
Changing to a proper power grip made a world of difference.

2. And I also have started to center my weight over the disc, instead of standing straight up with weight centered down my back.

I hope that rambling made sense. Haha

I had a similar problem that ended up being a pretty easy fix for me. I think it was a Sexton/McBeth driving clinic on YouTube that talked about the positioning/angle of your plant foot. I was planting with my front foot parallel with the front of the tee pad. This was causing me to start my throw with my hips already turned open slightly and in turn causing me to pull through to the left of my target (I'm left handed.)
Pivoting my plant foot to turn my toe slightly towards the back of the tee pad translated into a better angle for my hips at the start of my pull through, and my grip-locks (mostly) went away.

Starting your pull too early (as in when you plant your foot instead of just after) can cause late releases, too, and is pretty common.

Latest posts