• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cant improve for the last 3 years

young gun

Ive been playing for 5 years but the past 3 years ive hit a stand still with my game mainly distance but putting as well so im stopping playing. Courses that is and only temporary. Once i hit 400' in distance and 10 for 10 constantly at 25' putting then ill start playing again. I plan on throwing about 2000 drivers twice a week on open field practice with cones at 300, 350 and 400. For putting im gonna use discraft pro clinic better putting practice, Its gonna be really hard when my friends text/call me wanting me to play but ive gotta improve and if my banning myself its really gonna make me want to improve more. Is this a good idea? or is there some other way i can improve quicker?

Im assuming you didn't mean to say 2000 drives twice a week, I feel like that would be extremely horrible for you. :|

no i ment 1000-2000 i have 200 drivers that i own right now so thow them all like 5-10 times each i would throw 200 everyday but with work and school and putting idk how to fit it in
is 1000-2000 to much?

You don't want to practice bad form so make sure you're practicing right before you start doing crazy reps. Either find a buddy who can really throw to field practice with or film yourself and have Sidewinder, garublador, and the others critique you.

I watch disc golf videos like crazy but tomorrow ill post a video of me thowing like 10 discs on the thread and maybe ill throw like 100 a day during the week to practice form flaws and then like 1000 the weekend to really drill it in.

Personally that still sounds too much. Relax and enjoy the game. I agree find someone to help. If you over do it, it wont be fun, then it will seem like too much work. Go out and play, but have a day or two of fieldwork. You need to have some balance. The goal of hitting 400 feet and hitting the putts might be too much of a goal to get to before you even play. Same with your putts. Those are good goals to strive for while playing, but to set those goals until you can play will most likely lead to burnout. Also, throwing in a field for distance is diferent than throwing for accuracy in a dg game.

1000 drives would be equal to playing over 55 rounds of 18 holes assuming 1 drive per hole.

Probably a little much..

I think you're taking the fun out of DG. If your buds want to play, go play with them. If you're trying to be the next Climo, the amount of reps you're considering is too extreme. Try and balance field work with some course time.

I probably only average about 250' drives, probably 6 to 7 out of 10 from 25', and I cherish every round of disc golf I play whether it's with friends or solo. Don't rob yourself of fun just for coming up short on perfection.

100 drives and twenty minutes a day putting works great. Try using an Equalizer (thenati.com) for strengthening and adding speed to your throws. Find a local pro and offer to pay for lessons.
When practicing putting be realistic and start at absurdly close distances like 12 feet. This allows you to maintain form while forming muscle memory patterns. 9/10 from 25 is quite good , so try to get 100% from 18 feet as it is the $$ distance for most golfer levels. Up shots and putts are where I crush the Bigarms into the dust. Have fun always.

^^^^Welcome to DGCR, John. I was gonna call you out on your "crushing" the big arms until I looked up your PGDA info. It's good to have another veteran pro among our ranks.

Ive been playing for 5 years but the past 3 years ive hit a stand still with my game mainly distance but putting as well so im stopping playing. Courses that is and only temporary. Once i hit 400' in distance and 10 for 10 constantly at 25' putting then ill start playing again. I plan on throwing about 2000 drivers twice a week on open field practice with cones at 300, 350 and 400. For putting im gonna use discraft pro clinic better putting practice, Its gonna be really hard when my friends text/call me wanting me to play but ive gotta improve and if my banning myself its really gonna make me want to improve more. Is this a good idea? or is there some other way i can improve quicker?

Course management, proper shot selection, the ability to get out of trouble, and mental game are all things that playing rounds can improve that practice cannot.

These things are just as important as more distance and great putting.

I'd suggest scaling back your rounds but not quitting completely. How else are you going to tell if you're making strides on the practice field that translate successfully to the course?

This post is weird bro. I feel like you're competing with someone??? After 20 drives of field practice my arm is a noodle. Keep it to that many, or else you will basically be practicing bad form. Put all of your effort into the first ten while your arm is fresh

When I'm strictly out for practice, I throw every disc in my bag how that disc would be used during a round. Then I go pick them up, and putt for about 10-15 minutes from 10-30 feet. Then repeat.

1000-2000 drives twice a week is crazy talk. There's no possible way your arm could handle that.

You're taking the fun out of the game. I don't play to be the best in the world, I play because I enjoy the game and being outside... although being the best would be amazing! If you practice lightly and often, you will become a better golfer. Just get out there and have fun, man.

Disc golf is a simple game that no one gets better at by making a sperm contest out of it. If you're going to adopt a strict practice regimen, why not adopt one that an accomplished pro uses. I don't anyone accomplishing anything with 1000 throws that can't be done with 100.

I rarely post even though I check the forums on here daily but this i have to comment on. I gave myself the moniker underdog on here for a reason. I don't throw 400' (would love to be able to), but I can hit 375'. I don't make 10 out of 10 from 25' but i seem to make a 40'-50' late in a round under pressure frequently. I don't throw an thumber/tomahawk 300'+ but i know how to skip them on command or throw them high over trouble with accuracy. My forehand for distance throw is O.A.Ty as hell but my 3/4 release with my star destroyer can find its way around a corner and flex out just in time to land flat and skid close to the basket. I tend to throw lots of putters and midranges. I think my way around a course, have a large selection of shot choices at which I am proficient, and have good accuracy overall, which is my goal. My point is- there are many ways to have a lower score. Distance and making every single putt aren't the only way to win in disc golf. I play mostly tight wooded courses so big hyzer bombs/distance are fools gold and I'll beat that player every time. I don't have a rating yet, and I lose to great players all the time, there's a lot of them here in Charlotte, but I win often enough with steady consistent pars and occasional birdies. So if you are basing your irritation with the game on not being competitive then you need to see that there are a million ways to be good, not just distance and dead eye putting. Not that those qualities aren't great but have a great mental game, lots of shots, and accuracy and you will definitely rediscover your love of the game. Go out and play a lot, experiment on the course, and play with players that are better than you and you will improve. Good luck!

I just finished putting i started at 7:30 it is now 9:30 and I did have alot of fun doing it by using the discraft method i got up to 20 feet but didn't get higher I did drive but only like 200 times. Where can i find a local pro? anyone on here from Michigan that can throw 400+ and willing to watch me throw and help me? there is money in it for ya =P. I will scale down my practice and its not all about getting a lower score for me because then i would practice upshots,rollers and overhands also its more about working on the parts that i feel my game is lacking. P.S i am really tired but I also worked a 14hr shift today. For those people who think i'm crazy for working this hard its just my personality I work about 75 hrs a week and take 4 online college courses. I like working hard and I like going till my body and mind just quit that's who I am. I do drastic stuff like this all the time.

Latest posts