• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cant improve for the last 3 years

Are you trying to get on the pro tour? Just wondering what your actual goal is.

What I was wondering. It's not very often you need to crush a drive 400'+. Yes itd be cool.. but 95% of the time unnecessary. If you throw that many drives, all attempting to reach 400'.. you won't be playing the game for a long time. You'll throw your arm out/dislocate something/etc. and not be able to play the game you've been trying to better yourself at. Repetition is good.. but too much can hurt you. I highly doubt you would be throwing the exact same way with throw 200.. as you did with throw 1. It's better to get in 50 good drives where you're using correct form and you're body isn't exhausted. Trust me. When I was a freshman in high school I thought I had to throw 100 pitch bullpens every other day during the off season. Then when the actual baseball season started my body was tired and instead of being a starter like I wanted, I could only handle a couple innings a game turning me in to a reliever. If you really think your body can handle that huge load.. go for it.. but if you end up not being able to play disc golf in 2 years.. you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

U should buy a huge net and put on ground, so u don't have to bend over 200 times. Haha
I like to throw 10 putters maybe 10 times when I practice. Maybe in the 200 ft ish range. Take it easy and object golf it. And u don't have to walk as far.

no i ment 1000-2000 i have 200 drivers that i own right now so thow them all like 5-10 times each i would throw 200 everyday but with work and school and putting idk how to fit it in
is 1000-2000 to much?

Crazy!!!! I would like to walk by a field and see some cat with 200 drivers, throwing every one, 5-10 times. Do you bring a trailer full of discs to the park, or just carry them all in your trunk? How long would it take to throw 200 drives?Hell, how long would it take to pick up 200 discs? Do you have to get other people to come help you pick them all up? Of course you don't know how to fit that in to your schedule. If you ever do fit that "practice routine" into your schedule, post a picture, cause I'd like to see what a field covered with 200 drivers looks like.

Crazy!!!! I would like to walk by a field and see some cat with 200 drivers, throwing every one, 5-10 times. Do you bring a trailer full of discs to the park, or just carry them all in your trunk? How long would it take to throw 200 drives?Hell, how long would it take to pick up 200 discs? Do you have to get other people to come help you pick them all up? Of course you don't know how to fit that in to your schedule. If you ever do fit that "practice routine" into your schedule, post a picture, cause I'd like to see what a field covered with 200 drivers looks like.

^^^^^^^THIS FUNNY! ^^^^^^^^^^ :D

I'm surprised nobody has suggested that the OP practice driving with his putters yet.
That's too engaging a concept for people who think the only object of disc golf is to throw far.

You know, the ones think that if they throw the farthest, a fancy suit wearing rep from one of the disc companies is going to show up in a limo with two scantily dressed buxom women on his shoulders and briefcase full of cash. Then he signs up with the company, and as a bonus the two women take him into the bushes for some "afternoon delight".

You gotta let people like that have their little dreams. Sometimes, that's all they have.
:)

My arm hurts thinking about throwing 1000 drives a session.

When I go out to practice I might throw 50 drives. and most of those are not at 100% power. Its about form.

75 hours/ week working, 4 college courses and 2000-4000 drives per week plus hours of putting practice? A-Type much

I need a nap just thinking about it

Course management, proper shot selection, the ability to get out of trouble, and mental game are all things that playing rounds can improve that practice cannot.

^^^This is good advice that will take strokes off your game!

If you love disc golf and want to improve, don't let people deter you from achieving your goal. Field practice is a fast way (faster than playing rounds), to "dial" in your throws and increase distance.

You should video yourself so that you can critique your throws afterwards. You'll be able to see if you're getting good weight shift/hip rotation, pulling straight through, following through, throwing nose down, etc.

That's too engaging a concept for people who think the only object of disc golf is to throw far.

You know, the ones think that if they throw the farthest, a fancy suit wearing rep from one of the disc companies is going to show up in a limo with two scantily dressed buxom women on his shoulders and briefcase full of cash. Then he signs up with the company, and as a bonus the two women take him into the bushes for some "afternoon delight".

You gotta let people like that have their little dreams. Sometimes, that's all they have.

Hey, that's what happened to me :thmbup:. Seriously though, as everyone else has said, just try to enjoy the game. While improving is good, I personally don't think setting specific goals is a great way. What I do is try to improve on individual techniques that seem to need work. For example, lately I've been working on improving the timing in my footwork. That has helped dial down the accuracy in my drives. I'm constantly working on improving, but not towards a specific goal. Just to get better. And definitely don't stop playing rounds. (That is a form of practice afterall.)

P.S. - You said you were wanting to reach 400'. How far can you currently throw? Remember that a majority of disc golfers never reach 400'.

Last edited:
no i ment 1000-2000 i have 200 drivers that i own right now so thow them all like 5-10 times each i would throw 200 everyday but with work and school and putting idk how to fit it in
is 1000-2000 to much?

I think you would be better off trying to do 3-4 days of field practice a week, throwing 50-100 drives. Have one of those days be a big day where you push up to 150-200 throws. After 4-6 weeks you should see a difference. I did this a few years ago when I was really pushing to throw further. An interesting thing happened to me when I did it, somewhere around throw 100 I would start to throw my longest throws of the day. The first time I broke 400 feet was after throw 100.

This post is weird bro. I feel like you're competing with someone??? After 20 drives of field practice my arm is a noodle. Keep it to that many, or else you will basically be practicing bad form. Put all of your effort into the first ten while your arm is fresh

Your arm shouldn't get tired, at least not that fast.

i haven't thrown 200 drivers in a field...but have thrown 50-60...the picking up ends up more time consuming than the actual throwing. especially when you want to throw them more than once.

200 drivers? 2000 throws?

Personally, I can't focus on improving my throw mechanics for more than 100 throws max. After that I'm just throwing to throw it, and it isn't getting me improvement.

Not necessarily. In the heat of the action, while your muscles are still "hot," you can hurt yourself and might not know it. When you cool down the next day, all of the suddden you realize you screwed something up.

it sounds like the problem is totally mental.....slow the F down and see your shot then throw that shot. go and get a few leopards and once you can get those over 375' -400' you will have all the distance you need to win, then go practice putting. Practice putting more than anything. I tell myself to slow down constantly and then I hit shots, i'm not remarkable I just focus and play one shot at a time.

Not necessarily. The only reason I'd like to throw farther is b/c it means my form is better which would make playing 200-300' holes a lot easier and effortless. I could care less about bombing 400' all day on open holes, I'd just like to be able to hit that crucial gap 250' away a lot more consistently. Maybe OP feels the same.

Latest posts