• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

carneys ITB 2015

oneCarney

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 3 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right Handed
Throwing Style: RHBH and RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Wizard: 200'; Buzzz: 250'/275'; Teebird: 290'/320'; Volt: 330/360' (440'); Destroyer: 350' (416')

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: tight lower back sometimes. Right Knee after playing a few rounds.
Other sport proficiencies?: Ball Golf
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
-I think I have most of the shots covered on the courses that I play (mostly wooded). I lack very understable discs. I feel like a lot of my bag might overlap.
Specific areas of desired feedback:
-Any tips for consistent Distance. When I practice I typically will play a course with two shots on each hole so it's like playing two rounds at once. I test different lines with the same disc. I rarely do field work, it is boring to me, so any suggestions on how to practice shots in the field would be great.

Immediate and long-term goals:
-Consistent Distance. I have thrown over 400' on a few occasions would like to consistently get closer to an accurate 400' Drive.
-Throw a Buzzz Consistently 300' I am very close I am about 250-270' but that extra distance on a Buzzz line would be a game changer.
-Controlled HyzerFlip and throwing Long Hyzer lines

Bag: Grip C14 Black on Black.

Drivers:

Pro Destroyer 168g - Understable. Hyzerflip or Max distance in an Open field
Champion Destroyer 172g - Beef. Spike Hyzer (RHBH/RHFH)

Neutron Volt 172g - Beef. Reliable hard fade.
*Plasma Volt 169g - Straight. Can take a lot of power
*Fission Volt 166g - Straight. Can take a lot of power
*FR Neutron Volt 167g - Turnover shots. Hyzerflips (just need to dial it in)

GStar Teebird 168g - Straight/low power hyzer line or High Power Hyzerflip
Champion Teebird 172g - Beef. Trying to get that 300' pure hyzer consistently

Champion Beast 175g - Forehand Utility shots

Mids:

ESP Buzzz 172 - dead Straight. Holds any line
ESP FLX Buzzz 172 - dead Straight. Holds any line.
M Obex 168g - Short overstable approach 200'

Putters:

175 OG Wizard - main putter/sub 100' approach shots
175 OG Wizard - main putter/sub 100' approach shots
175 Chalky Wizard - used off the tee

*these disc are on a rotation in and out of the bag.

Try a Saint man it will change your life, or something else stable(not overstable or understable, just stable) in the speed 7-9 range, I recommend the saint because it is extremely glidey mid flight and you have no fairways outside the volt. I don't love destroyers so I won't weight in on big D discs, volts are nice you can't go wrong cycling them, but if you're looking for a disc not to improve your snap I'd try some 9 discs that s and come back. also I know someone is going to tell you this so I will now... post a video of your form in the technique section and people will weigh in to help improve your distance.

Lots of good discs here! Every disc has it's purpose, and its very simple up to speed 8. How different are the Volt and Teebird for you? Volt is definitely faster, but not necessarily longer than a Teebird for me at least. And How much difference is there between your most beat Volt and the Beast? Do you only FH the Beast?

If the course you play is wooded, some understable discs open up a huge variety new shots! Low power shots, where you play the glide, standstill stable shots, hitting 150' shots through a 5' tunnel. I could never get a Buzzz to do what a 170 X Comet could do at low power.

A beat Innova DX Teebird, Innova G*Leopard, Legacy Patriot, for Fairways... Discraft X Comet, ESP Meteor, Westside Tursas, Latitude 64° Fuse, Axiom Theory, Innova Star Wedge for Mids are all great options for wooded courses.

Throw a couple rounds with your Putting Wizard and Driving Wizard only... If you are getting Destroyers out 350+, but Wizards only 200', I'd guess you are torquing and strong arming your throws. Slow down run up, throw with your hips, and follow through with your non throwing arm. Your Wizards will easily go 250'-300', Buzzes 275'-325', etc.

I was at your power level for a year, and once I cleaned my form up a bit, I could throw under stable discs and putters on pure hyzers... This added 50' distance to my Destroyer drives without needing a faster Warp speed disc or changing my run up.

Drive4Show

Try a Saint man it will change your life, or something else stable(not overstable or understable, just stable) in the speed 7-9 range, I recommend the saint because it is extremely glidey mid flight and you have no fairways outside the volt.

I've tried out a Saint before but found it to be a little too Understable for me, most likely due to form issues. I plan on getting some good video in the next week or so. It might be something I work on throw more understable discs on a hyzer line. Thanks!

Annakin SkyHyzer

How different are the Volt and Teebird for you?
I think that the Volt plays much further for me. I can shape all sorts of lines with it. The Teebird Is my low ceiling tunnel shot reliable fade. I have been able to hold a good hyzer line with it. They are similar discs but I can tell the difference in the speed, I think that the compliment eachother.

How much difference is there between your most beat Volt and the Beast? Do you only FH the Beast?
Beast is strictly FH shot for me. I use it anywhere from 150' to 300' It was the first premium plastic disc I learned how to throw FH

If the course you play is wooded, some understable discs open up a huge variety new shots! Low power shots, where you play the glide, standstill stable shots, hitting 150' shots through a 5' tunnel. I could never get a Buzzz to do what a 170 X Comet could do at low power.
I used to bag an ESP Meteor. I have never thrown a Comet, I should get my hands on one and try it out. I need to work on my form to throw more understable discs but I do agree I believe that is where I am missing some shots

Throw a couple rounds with your Putting Wizard and Driving Wizard only... If you are getting Destroyers out 350+, but Wizards only 200', I'd guess you are torquing and strong arming your throws. Slow down run up, throw with your hips, and follow through with your non throwing arm. Your Wizards will easily go 250'-300', Buzzes 275'-325', etc.
I never really drive a hole thats more than 220' with a Wizard. I am definitely going to play some Wizard only rounds try this out. Hopefully it can smooth out my release for all of my discs. My problem with distance is I always want to throw a line drive. It is hard for me to throw a disc with significant height in order to get that extra distance.

Thanks for your input!!