• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carolinas first week in March

reposado

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'll be hitting the Carolinas in the first week of March and Im doing as much planning as possible, because, A: that's what I do, and B: I'd like to make the most of the dg opportunities and meet up with DGCR folk if possible. *I don't need too much help in planning what courses to play. I'm pretty good at planning routes and maximizing time and things like that. (But obviously, some of you are much more familiar with the Carolina scene than I am.)

This is how it currently shapes up

Travel Day will be either Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Stoney Hill, Chester and then ideally two courses in Charlotte. I'd be hoping to be in Charlotte around 5 on Monday if any area DGCRers would want to meet for a round and are 9-5 guys. (But it could as early as 3 if its a weekend.

Ideally, Charlotte courses would be Eastway/Sugaw(due to highway proximity and the fact that I haven't played them. Also haven't played reedy creek or kilbourne so those would be next choices but…im flexible

Of course this all depends on the sauls' schedule and if those days don't work for them, what I'll do is do is play all terrain and winthrop on the way to charlotte. then the following sunday, id do that original plan in reverse, and

on the following Sunday, would do charlotte/chester/stoney hill going south and would be looking to play a Sunday morning round in charlotte

if this is the case i would possibly have time for one course in Columbia. (suggestions if I only can do one in that city?) alternatively, i could hit bradford in the very early morning

in between travel days, i will be based in the triangle, where i have pretty much played everything(but id play some again, especially would like to see how rock ridge is coming along)

im mostly open. the only thing that ive locked in is playing wilmington area with my dad on the friday/saturday of that week.

one thing id like to do is a loop east of raleigh. my days to do that would be mon-wed, or if my original travel day is saturday, then i could do it sunday. this would be one area id be looking for advice bout what would make a solid 4-5 course day.

other days,
Scottish Hills/Avalon Peaks/Higher ground: How available are these? If I call to ask is it pretty much going to be a "sure, go ahead" or is going to be time-dependent?

Leigh Farm: Anyone know if this will be open by March? it's the closest course to my parents house, and i'd really like to play it

Reidsville/Northeast Park: worth it for a quicker day trip? id probably play cedarock too if going that way

so yeah, looking to make this go perfectly, play at least 20 courses in 5-6 days, hit stoney hill, castle hayne, meet up with a few of the people who contribute to this site.

re: Stoney Hill

In a PM I had indicated that I'll probably be playing in the Earlewood Classic the first weekend in March. The outlook now is that I won't be---after 11 consecutive years---and will be at Stoney Hill that weekend, except after 3:00 on Saturday.

re: Columbia

If only playing one course, the choice comes to Earlewood or Southeast Park, and depends on what you want. Earlewood is a very fun, short old-school course, with huge hills, huge trees, not much underbrush. Southeast is more challenging, longer, slight elevation, and rawer because it's still fairly new. Both are good; depends on what you're looking for. (Note that the first weekend of March, Earlewood is closed for the aforementioned tournament).

A good alternative to the Columbia courses, if you're routing by Stoney Hill, is Crooked Creek in Chapin. It's about the same caliber (3.5-4.0). It's a nice course carved out of the woods.

Last edited:
re: Stoney Hill

In a PM I had indicated that I'll probably be playing in the Earlewood Classic the first weekend in March. The outlook now is that I won't be---after 11 consecutive years---and will be at Stoney Hill that weekend, except after 3:00 on Saturday.

ah. well, i think the ideal plan would involve getting to stoney hill around 1030 on either that saturday (3/1)or sunday. (3/2) so that works out. unfortunate that you're missing the tourney though.

re: Columbia

If only playing one course, the choice comes to Earlewood or Southeast Park, and depends on what you want. Earlewood is a very fun, short old-school course, with huge hills, huge trees, not much underbrush. Southeast is more challenging, longer, slight elevation, and rawer because it's still fairly new. Both are good; depends on what you're looking for. (Note that the first weekend of March, Earlewood is closed for the aforementioned tournament).

A good alternative to the Columbia courses, if you're routing by Stoney Hill, is Crooked Creek in Chapin. It's about the same caliber (3.5-4.0). It's a nice course carved out of the woods.

good info. sounds like it would depend on how much daylight was left. southeast if its early enough. but now that you mention crooked creek, it might be better if im on that route. but if i go threw stoney hill nothbound as looks likely now, i wont be on that route southbound.

one thing id like to do is a loop east of raleigh. my days to do that would be mon-wed, or if my original travel day is saturday, then i could do it sunday. this would be one area id be looking for advice bout what would make a solid 4-5 course day.
The down side to Golf East of Raleigh is it is fairly spread out. I am pretty sure you could get 3 to 4 courses in a day but it will require some serious driving in between courses. 1 hour and 45 minutes straight down I-40 is a gem of an N.C. course, Castle Hayne is worth the drive for sure.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1084

My order of preference for the Charlotte eastside courses:

Reedy - old school, wooded but way beat in, some elevation
Kilborne - forgiving fairways but requires all shot shapes, well constructed par 4s,
Eastway - all par 3s, mix of some open and wooded and longer distances,
Sugaw - all par 3s, shorter

I really liked Reidsville. Well installed and nice variety of shots. If I were over towards Raleigh I'd want to hit Rock Ridge (Houck designed) too.

\

I really liked Reidsville. Well installed and nice variety of shots. If I were over towards Raleigh I'd want to hit Rock Ridge (Houck designed) too.

ive been there, but i will probably work it in. it's one of my favorites

Food for thought, and planning purposes, regarding Stoney Hill:

There are 3 overlapping layouts:

Diamond - 18 holes - about 7100'
Quartz - 24 holes - about 8100'
Quartz Lite - 18 holes - about 6100'

The Diamond and Quartz Lite overlap with 8 shared holes (at least at this moment, unless we create some more in the next month). The Diamond is the toughest layout, with the most par-4s & -5s. The Quartz Lite is much less grueling, not just because it's shorter but it cuts out one big hill. Which is not to say it's easy. By playing both layouts---two rounds---you'll play everything.

The Quartz layout is a hybrid of the two, and usually the one we use to show newcomers around. Playing it means you play, or see, everything. It's a pretty good workout.

So for the next month you can ponder these options and your schedule and decide which layout(s) you want to play.

Don't go to NE park, it's not worth it. Reidsville is really fun though. But yeah, NE is terrible. Just a hunch but I doubt Leigh Farm will be open by then. You should hit up Rock Ridge if you haven't already, it's pretty sweet. Castle Hayne is great.

Unless you want to play them to say that you've played them, don't bother with Scottish Hills and/or Avalon Peaks. Either way, there shouldn't be any traffic on them. Scottish hills could probably be played in less then 30 minutes. Peaks 45-60 minutes (doesn't really loop around, so there will be a good 10+ minutes of walking). Peaks will be OK this time of year, because the growth is down, but honestly, drive the extra 5-10 minutes and play Middle Creek or keep on going down 1 to Buckhorn. Scottish Hills is a waste in my opinion. I think Higher Ground is not in good playing shape (the last time I looked, the status was broken lawn mower or something like that, so the course hadn't been maintained in a while). There is supposed to be a new course at a park in Apex (Apex Nature Park) south of Beaver Creek shopping area, but I'm not sure when it is going to open - haven't seen it on this site yet (but there was writeup in the local free weekly paper). If that's open when you come through, that would be worth it. I can't wait for Leigh to re-open (it's a great course) but I wouldn't hold my breath, it was supposed to reopen last summer, and has been delayed and delayed. There's also supposed to be one opening in Holly Springs (7000' long, Jone's Park?) but I don't know the timing. Add another vote for Castle Hayne. I also vote for Kilbourne.

As far as I can tell with a quick peak work has not yet started on Apex Nature Park. It was supposed to be done this Spring, but who knows?

If you're on this side of town Buckhorn is your best bet. Middle Creek is OK, and if you have the time Rock Ridge is nice.

castle hayne is definitely happening. joe eakes is also a lock. arrowhead is a probably, seeing as i'll be going right by it

Food for thought, and planning purposes, regarding Stoney Hill:

There are 3 overlapping layouts:
<snip>

ive thought about that, and it will depend on time a bit but i think i'd like to do quartz. i sorta remember you mentioning in a thread, that from quartz you can at least see everything? is that accurate

Don't go to NE park, it's not worth it. Reidsville is really fun though. But yeah, NE is terrible. Just a hunch but I doubt Leigh Farm will be open by then. You should hit up Rock Ridge if you haven't already, it's pretty sweet. Castle Hayne is great.

hm cool, reidsville will be a little far to go for one course. but i could probably do that and cedarock(which i havent played since summer)/wellspring,

Unless you want to play them to say that you've played them, don't bother with Scottish Hills and/or Avalon Peaks. <snip> .

well, the thing is. my favorite thing might be walking onto a new course. and those ones wont be too far/can play a couple of them and then play middle creek harris lake for one lesser travel day, with a couple of solid repeats and some perhaps weaker new courses

ive thought about that, and it will depend on time a bit but i think i'd like to do quartz. i sorta remember you mentioning in a thread, that from quartz you can at least see everything? is that accurate

It is accurate.

It is why, when first-timers only have time for 1 round, it is the layout of choice. The holes they don't play, at least we can show them and they can imagine. (It is also the most-commonly-played layout among the Columbians who venture out from time to time.)

Reidsville paired with Cedarrock/Wellspring is a pretty fun day of dg. If you have a ton of time, you could also hit Springwood on the way to Cedarrock (**quickly dons flame-retardant suit**)

Reidsville paired with Cedarrock/Wellspring is a pretty fun day of dg. If you have a ton of time, you could also hit Springwood on the way to Cedarrock (**quickly dons flame-retardant suit**)

He's already played and reviewed it. It's not like if someone bashed it or you his mind would be changed.

The Rocky Mount area has 4 typical/good courses. They are not best of the best but all are fun and unique. And there proximity makes for a quick 4 course add. You could play them and knock it out very quick.

ECU and Meadowbrook in Greeneville are also solid layouts that could be added easily.

Best course east of Raleigh besides Castle is defiantly Glenburnie in New Bern. This is a very nice course and is worth the trip imo.

I still haven't played Reidsville or Arrowhead I look forward to your reviews of these courses.

I live in the Charlotte area and would likely be able to join you for a round in the early afternoon on any of those days. Just let me know what your plans are and I'd be happy to join you. All of the courses you haven't played are good layouts as well.

If you want to do reidsville, you can do a quick 20 minute drive north after reidsville and hit up danville's courses.

Wish you were coming to Upstate SC. Grand Central DGC is definitely worth the trip up this way. Let me know if you will be int he Greenville area.

East of Raleigh is Greenville (1 hr), ECU and West Meadowbrook are both really nice. Not far past Greenville is Barnet Park in Kinston and Glenburnie Park down in new bern which is my personal favorite in ENC. :thmbup:

He's already played and reviewed it. It's not like if someone bashed it or you his mind would be changed.

The Rocky Mount area has 4 typical/good courses. They are not best of the best but all are fun and unique. And there proximity makes for a quick 4 course add. You could play them and knock it out very quick.

ECU and Meadowbrook in Greeneville are also solid layouts that could be added easily.

Best course east of Raleigh besides Castle is defiantly Glenburnie in New Bern. This is a very nice course and is worth the trip imo.

I still haven't played Reidsville or Arrowhead I look forward to your reviews of these courses.

I live in the Charlotte area and would likely be able to join you for a round in the early afternoon on any of those days. Just let me know what your plans are and I'd be happy to join you. All of the courses you haven't played are good layouts as well.

Oh....my apologies then....

It is accurate.

It is why, when first-timers only have time for 1 round, it is the layout of choice. The holes they don't play, at least we can show them and they can imagine. (It is also the most-commonly-played layout among the Columbians who venture out from time to time.)

that definitely sounds best for me then.

East of Raleigh is Greenville (1 hr), ECU and West Meadowbrook are both really nice. Not far past Greenville is Barnet Park in Kinston and Glenburnie Park down in new bern which is my personal favorite in ENC. :thmbup:

ive been playing with the route maker and new bern is tough to fit into any potential plans. at this point id say the two greenville courses are the ones that i would ideally get to but that rocky mount set up is intriguing, and much easier to do in a day, could do just those four and call it a day or a slightly larger loop and go through wilson

that would leave a potential future loop of greenville, new bern, kinston goldsboro, but i think i can get to kinston on the way back from wilmington

and i'll let you know about a charlotte afternoon

If you want to do reidsville, you can do a quick 20 minute drive north after reidsville and hit up danville's courses.

i've played those actually. played them after rockness, sasquatch and edmonds. noticed that reidsville wasnt too far out of the way at that point but wouldnt have beat the sun. probably my favorite one day disc trip ive ever done though

Last edited:
ah. well, i think the ideal plan would involve getting to stoney hill around 1030 on either that saturday (3/1)or sunday. (3/2) so that works out. unfortunate that you're missing the tourney though.

Have you firmed up your scheduling yet?

Latest posts