• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Catch Disc?!

micaretm

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but, since I started playing disc golf, I can no longer throw a catch disc. It just turns up, hits the ground and rolls forever. Anyone else have this issue?

it might take some time to get used to throwing a normal frisbee compared to a disc. you could be grip locking causing the roll over

Some catch discs can be uber under stable. So keep that in mind. I play catch with my 9 year old nephew with a rpro aviar. It's soft and true flying so easy to catch and throw. He likes to catch some 260-270 foot high bombs I give him too.

You should have no problem throwing Ultrastars or Pulsars and the like... They are sensitive to arm speed, but the throw mechanics are all the same. If you find you're throwing catch discs and they're turning into rollers then that's a good way to see where your throw is flawed (too much arm speed, unintentional OAT, lack of snap, etc).

If you're talking about those 90g toy discs they give out at events then yeah, those aren't really meant to be thrown with any kind of power.

Play catch with your putters and/or slower mids. It's fun and you're training your muscle memory at the same time.

I even break out the old DX Condor for nostalgia sake.

I have 180g and 131g dx Condors. Being able to throw both of them accurately is something I'm working on ...

I normally throw a freestyle disc on some hyzer.

Ha, I always like to snap my catch discs as hard as I can. Just have to be careful about how much arm I put into the throw.

For anyone that used to own a FlashFlight years ago when they first came out and purchased a new one recently: have you noticed a difference in flight?

When they first came out I loved the stable flight. I must have gone through 3 or 4 of them. They were super fun to smash on. Flew very similar to the new stabilized Pulsars. I bought another one in the summer of 2012 and it was very flippy. Almost became a touch disc. I bought a couple more since then and noticed the same. You have to put a ton of hyzer on them and they still will finish right on you.

Some catch discs can be uber under stable. So keep that in mind. I play catch with my 9 year old nephew with a rpro aviar. It's soft and true flying so easy to catch and throw. He likes to catch some 260-270 foot high bombs I give him too.

Dang! nice height:clap: I have trouble getting much over 100' and thats with a thummer

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but, since I started playing disc golf, I can no longer throw a catch disc. It just turns up, hits the ground and rolls forever. Anyone else have this issue?

Had the same problem after laying off Ultimate for a while. Keep in mind that the 'snap' is everything....not only with DG but any disc. Catch discs are by nature overstable, which is why many players like Brodie Smith can huck them forever straight on a mad hyzer. It's because they've got the snap.

This is, of course, just my own experience. Your mileage may vary.

I'm lmao at this moment only because when my GF and I finish a round I'll grab the frisbee out of the trunk and play catch for a bit.. lol it's just fun and I like doing both so I work on it.. hell I even throw the frisbee around the backyard while smoking a cig.. I think of it as having to be very gentle compared to a DG disc. :D

I make myself play rounds with zephyrs or ultrastars every once in a while, it really makes you slow down and clean up your form to be able to throw those without them turning and burning.

Rotation, rotation, rotation. ... and slow down your arm speed. An Ultrastar should not be turning and burning, even when throwing at full power for 80 yard hucks. Slow your speed, get that pop at the tip of the release and put as much rotation as possible on the disc.

Definitely. I fixed it by using a different grip for catch discs, like the ultra star. My thumb is on the thumb track, and the tips of my fingers are just under the rim. If I stood there and tried to demonstrate the grip holding the disc with one hand, it would fall freely out of the grip, because that's how loose the grip is. When throwing, I kind of have to slap the disc down to catch air and then snap it. I'm also throwing the catch disc a lot farther than before I started disc golf.

This technique also works with a super beat Midnight Flyer Whammo golf frisbee I got from the 70s.

Last edited:

Latest posts