• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Caught between a destroyer and a wraith

LucasP

Birdie Member
Here it is, I for wide open distance needs I throw E* archons. I'm at the power level now that my archons are turning too much for some shots, yes I can hyzer flip them but even fresh ones are turning more than I like. My workhorse drivers are my pd's. I love my pd's but I get 20-25 feet more with my archons.

So I'm wanting to step up to either a destroyer or a wraith. I've thrown champ destroyers that were way to stable for me, But I like the feel of a destroyer in my hand more than a wraith. I have an E* wraith that is about the stability that I'm looking for but I really haven't jelled with it, I feel like it doesn't have the glide or feel I'm looking for.

Would a lighter... lets say mid to high 160's star or pro destroyer be what I'm looking for?

I would stay away from Pro Destroyers in general but that's just me. Beat in a Star Destroyer and give it a go.

You want a star destroyer. Better speed separation and distance there. I like wraiths too, but they travel basically the same distance as my PDs, and I hate overlap. The destroyer is a more versatile mold anyway.

I would stay away from Pro Destroyers in general but that's just me. Beat in a Star Destroyer and give it a go.

You want a star destroyer. Better speed separation and distance there. I like wraiths too, but they travel basically the same distance as my PDs, and I hate overlap. The destroyer is a more versatile mold anyway.

I hadn't thought about the overlap with the wraith and pd's. I think that pretty much steered me to the destroyer right there. If I throw low 170's archons, I think Ill go with mid 160 star destroyer.

I started throwing Star Destroyers last summer and I have really liked them as a max D driver. I bought a Star Wraith a while ago as they're pretty much the same as a Destroyer but just a little bit slower and more comfortable in the hand due to the smaller rim. I've really liked it so far, it's pretty overstable, maybe even more than my Destroyers when they were new, but now after some rounds playing around with it is really straight with a big fade at the end, can't see any turn yet. I think I'll keep experimenting with it till I see how it seasons and if I'll change from Destroyers.. The difference in distance at least for me is quite minimal. I throw them 360' give or take.

I've thrown both Wraiths and Destroyers, and like both molds. I'm using Destroyers for the foreseeable future, though, and I think I like the mold better. Star Destroyers are great. Champs are beefier, but have their usefulness.

P.S. Dave Feldberg and I are big fans of Echo Star Destroyers. Don't leave those out of your considerations.

Over the last year I have cycled a bunch of wraiths and destroyers through the bag. I wanted to like them as everyone swears by them. For me they just weren't working out. Either they were too beefy or flippy off the shelf. I don't want to have to beat an overstable disc into submission, then be foobar'd when I lose it.

I am throwing Dynamic Discs Trespass in this slot. Basically starts life like a broken in destroyer, but has better plastic (lat64). Just throwing this in as alternate. I am much happier with the results.

Have u thought about stepping down a speed to help get u the distance? I throw an Orc and it flies about the same as my wraith, but with the archon it is a lot flipper than wraith.

If you want a max distance driver a bit less stable than a star destroyer, but more stable than an archon, I would say either Prodigy D4 (I bag a couple of these and they are some of my longest discs), champion Tern (I don't bag this, but a lot of people seem to like them for this slot), or Discraft Crank (ESP is a hair less stable than the D4; I'm guessing Z will be slightly more stable). Any of those in max weight would probably be a good fit for a max distance driver that's a bit less stable than a destroyer, but more stable than an Archon.

get a Sirius Scorpius. Its labelled as a speed 12 but the flight gives you the control of a wraith with the distance of a Destroyer.

Pro Destroyers are great discs, minus the fact that they become under stable relatively quickly. I'd like to suggest Prodiscus's SLAIDi in their premium plastic which has attributes familiar to both the Wraith and the Destroyer. Other than that you can't really go wrong with Prodigy's D's. Essentially Destroyers in different states of wear in better(some say the best) plastic, and no more HAVING to cycle discs to boot. If you want to stick with INNOVA then I'd go with the Tern. The Star Terns being a bit more under stable than the Champions.

Get a beat in Pre Avery Star Destroyer(*D) in the weight range around 167-169 and be amazed and prepared to shell out for backups!

Over the last year I have cycled a bunch of wraiths and destroyers through the bag. I wanted to like them as everyone swears by them. For me they just weren't working out. Either they were too beefy or flippy off the shelf. I don't want to have to beat an overstable disc into submission, then be foobar'd when I lose it.

I am throwing Dynamic Discs Trespass in this slot. Basically starts life like a broken in destroyer, but has better plastic (lat64). Just throwing this in as alternate. I am much happier with the results.

I have a good bit of credit from tournaments, right now I'm looking at star or E* destroyers, but I did like the trespass I threw. I may pick one up just to use some of my credit.

Have u thought about stepping down a speed to help get u the distance? I throw an Orc and it flies about the same as my wraith, but with the archon it is a lot flipper than wraith.

I throw my pd's 360... they are much like an orc.

Get a beat in Pre Avery Star Destroyer(*D) in the weight range around 167-169 and be amazed and prepared to shell out for backups!

Thats what I'm afraid of getting into destroyers...

I like the star destroyers for all my distance drives. The flatter star ones with the new AJ stamp are much more understable than the domey ones. If you like glide i would suggest a Trespass instead of a destroyer out of the box they are less stable and much more glidey.

i personally would not step up from a PD to a wraith.

i throw my PD 360-390' depending on the plastic/state of wear; my destroyers go 430' max D. we sound similar. do not fear the destroyer. get a pro or a star and try them out. just pick them in person or specify what you are looking for to your seller. no need for throwing OOP stuff; that's total bunk, you don't have to throw an old destroyer, don't listen to that unless you are actually okay with spending the money and don't care. there are many different destroyers out there and many are great. the flatter ones (not vulcan topped, haven't thrown one) come with turn built in out of the box. just check that parting line too.

check out this thread if you want more info on destroyers: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums...hp?f=5&t=16908

there are plenty of people in there that enjoyed pro destroyers, and they throw farther than both of us.