• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CCDG and an early Festivus...

This is ridiculous. If you don't like the commentary then mute it. How can someone be so dumb?

I met Ian, Eric, and Anthony last week at the GBO. They were all great guys. It was really nice to talk to them and they took the time to talk with me. As for the catch phrase I even asked Ian to record him and I while he said it.

You hating fools need to quit being douche bags. Either mute it or don't watch it in the first place, no one is forcing you to. Let the rest of us enjoy the best disc golf coverage out there, and IMO Ian's commentary is what makes it the best.

CCDG is the bees knees. Keep up the great work Ian, eff the haters, your crews work is greatly appreciated. Know that for every asinine critique that you hear here (and elsewhere) there are at least a thousand unspoken appreciative fans out there that love the work that goes into these videos. I like the flavor you're bringing to the table.

plenty of constructive criticism has been given that i think would vastly improve the ccdg commentating, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears, with the awful deflection of 'haters' and 'trolls'.

as for the argument of 'if you dont like it, dont watch it!!' and 'mute it!', well that is both irrational and ignorant.

ccdg does a good job and their hard work is much appreciated and i enjoy their videos. their work and the other crews that produce content are going a long way towards growing exposure for disc golf, and that is very commendable.

but to consider their videos to be unassailable, particularly the commentary, is not a good look and does nothing to improve their product.

blindly listening to fanboys that make illogical arguments cannot be good long term and stunts growth. but whatever, im sure i am just a 'hater'.

long live jomez productions.

here is a free mini tip ccdg: there is no need to say everyones name (and often their full name) on every single shot. over the course of a 40 minute video you are saying names over 200 times. it is meaningless noise, unprofessional, annoying, and easily remedied.

here is a free mini tip ccdg: there is no need to say everyones name (and often their full name) on every single shot. over the course of a 40 minute video you are saying names over 200 times. it is meaningless noise, unprofessional, annoying, and easily remedied.
LOL. What an insanely ridiculous hangup and critique.

Ever watched a sports broadcast. You'll hear names. LOTS of em.

Last edited:

Once again people are confused as to what constructive criticism actually entails.

I'm on the side that likes ccdg. For sure, let's watch some disc golf! :thmbup:

But, there are people here coming off as just hardcore fanboys, blinded by the light. It's unfortunate, because the critique of others should be able to voice there opinion too.

Even ccdg doesn't mind. So chill... Goosfraba......

The constructive criticism did not fall on deaf years, as Ian has chimed in showed appreciation for people offering alternative ideas. It's the people acting like ****bags, and trashing something just for the sake of trashing it that have been called out for being the trolls that they are. If you're not offering a solution to your gripe, you're just whining.

The theme in this thread is criticism, and it's still filled with 95% hard core CCDG fans. That says it all. Ian and Alex in '16!

plenty of constructive criticism has been given that i think would vastly improve the ccdg commentating, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears, with the awful deflection of 'haters' and 'trolls'.

as for the argument of 'if you dont like it, dont watch it!!' and 'mute it!', well that is both irrational and ignorant.

ccdg does a good job and their hard work is much appreciated and i enjoy their videos. their work and the other crews that produce content are going a long way towards growing exposure for disc golf, and that is very commendable.

but to consider their videos to be unassailable, particularly the commentary, is not a good look and does nothing to improve their product.

blindly listening to fanboys that make illogical arguments cannot be good long term and stunts growth. but whatever, im sure i am just a 'hater'.

Fanboys vs. Entitled....interesting. I guess that depends on which side your opinion falls. Perhaps many feel there is nothing bothersome in the broadcasts....fanboys? Somehow the "constructive criticism" is on the mark without dissenting opinion? I think the hope is the guys at CCDG will receive the input and take it under advisement. The response of turn it off or mute it, if you don't like it, is neither irrational or ignorant. Though statements like above, stating opinions differing yours are from "fanboys and are illogical, don't seem to make much sense to me. I am not sure the productions are polished network quality, but I am also not sure I care. I watch a lot of sports, and announcers sometimes detract from my experience. I mute it and put on some tunes.

Some really good CCDG T-shirt text ideas here - maybe have a camera shooting a disc towards a basket across the front with the words "Let's Watch Some DISC GOLF" written under it, and "Ian/Alex in 2016" on the back

*i hereby give up any rights to this t-shirt idea to CCDG

The content is FREE!! Big thank you to not just CCGD, but all the folks who post disc golf videos. What a time to be alive! Be thankful you can watch disc golf with commentary at all.

For the price it is absolutely amazing! Also as a fan of almost all sports I like Ian's/CCDG's style...even in comparison to "professionals". Sure it's not perfect, but it is very entertaining. As for wanting more professionalism...sounds like the OP wants more robotic boring commentary.

Ian, keep on doing your thing!

CCDG does some really great work. I am on the east coast, but have coworkers on the west coast, and hearing the commentary reminds me of talking with those folks. Sure, things could be cleaned up a little, it may not have the polish that spin tv has, but, all things being equal, I'd watch CCDG cover/commentary. I watch CCDG rounds of cards/tournaments I'm not particularly interested in. I think the laid back style of the commentary makes it very easy for the guest commentator (because really, only a few of the golfers are natural entertainers/communicators) to interact and share insight without it being awkward. I enjoy the perspective the guest commentators give, and think that Ian does a great job of bringing that out.

THANKS CCDG FOR THE GREAT WORK YOU DO!!!!
:clap::clap::clap: :thmbup:

I appreciate the effort that goes into covering, producing, and commenting on disc golf tournament coverage, and I may not be able to pick out a lot of technical things from watching the videos that are being posted, but I have some opinions that I feel compelled to share...in other words, Festivus is coming early this year. :D

First, I want to say thank you, to everyone that allows disc golf fans to watch the sport they love.

But it wouldn't be Festivus without the Airing of Grievances...
Sorry Central Coast Disc Golf...I am doing this for the potential 'I' see in you and the sport of Disc golf, but...

Am I the only one that is annoyed/disappointed in the way Ian, from CCDG, commentates?

1. I hate the whole... Ian:"Hey *insert person I'm in conversation with*" person:"yeah?" Ian:"Let's watch some disc golf." I am totally fine with him saying 'Let's watch some disc golf', but I am not okay with Ian basically asking if the other person is awake, despite already being in a conversation with the person. That is not a natural conversation/interaction.

2. I've gotten a little more used to the way he speaks, but I am still bothered by the tones/inflections he uses as if he is asking/proposing something often times when he speaks, no matter if it's a statement or question.

3. I also wish he spoke more professionally and didn't use or make up slang for various things. I want disc golf to be taken seriously, but I don't know if I would take it seriously from listening to Ian commentate. Too much fun is being had :p

4. I also don't think it's appealing to compare himself or his throws to those who are the professional disc golfers. I think it's okay to share how the course or a hole may be grueling after playing it, I don't want to hear the specifics of his throws or score, especially if he has a good one...that kind of downplays the skill level of the athletes competing.

Again, I am very thankful for all those who create disc golf content for those who enjoy watching, CCDG included. Keep it up! You guys will help grow the sport.

Hi, I'm Derek one of the CCDG crew, and your opinion is fine, but here's a bit more understanding in response to your comments:
1. It's a tag line, that's all.
2. It's just his personality, if you don't like it, mute it, but he can't change himself. And unless we start really getting paid there's no motivation to change (other than self ambition to do better).
3. We're not paid, so we're having fun but being informative. I don't think any terms have ever been fabricated during commentary.
4. Have you seen pros throw in person? A lot of people (esp. Am's) haven't. There's a HUGE different in how hard and accurate a pro can throw and it doesn't translate well in videos. There's really no other way to make it relateable.

This job is much more time consuming than you'd think, it's a labor of love. Commentary is not easy. If you ever do give it a shot for yourself you'll understand. I assume that won't happen.

Jomez likes Ian's commentary well enough to bring Ian over for more commentary on their vids... sooooo there's that.

Also, we don't mind constructive criticism. Often it's nothing we haven't already thought of. Bottom line is this isn't a paying job, so we just do what we can in our limited free time and improve small things here and there as we go along. In the end, if the majority of the fans are happy, and we're still somehow enjoying the process, then we're good to go.

Honestly it's all so much work that I often wonder why Ian or any of us even bothers to keep the machine going. Labor of love and understanding families I guess.

Last edited:
plenty of constructive criticism has been given

One last thing... I just realized the whole problem here, there's nothing "constructive", it's only "criticism".

For instance, if OP's point #4 had included something like "maybe instead of talking about your own throws, mention something about how the AM's would perform on a hole, or the casual players" or anything else constructive then the comment would carry more weight and actually be helpful.

Without proposing solutions, it's simply criticism, lacking anything constructive to speak of.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Derek one of the CCDG crew, and your opinion is fine, but here's a bit more understanding in response to your comments:
1. It's a tag line, that's all.
2. It's just his personality, if you don't like it, mute it, but he can't change himself. And unless we start really getting paid there's no motivation to change (other than self ambition to do better).
3. We're not paid, so we're having fun but being informative. I don't think any terms have ever been fabricated during commentary.
4. Have you seen pros throw in person? A lot of people (esp. Am's) haven't. There's a HUGE different in how hard and accurate a pro can throw and it doesn't translate well in videos. There's really no other way to make it relateable.

This job is much more time consuming than you'd think, it's a labor of love. Commentary is not easy. If you ever do give it a shot for yourself you'll understand. I assume that won't happen.

:thmbup:

I know for a fact there are others like the OP though. From my point of view, they want DG coverage to be like Ball Golf coverage. Terry Miller (Disc Golf Guy) seems to be much more "Professional" that way. But personally, as far an enjoyment, this is no contest. I love watching CCDG. It is the closest thing to being on the course without actually being there. They talk about DG the way I think about it. Their commentary seems way more natural and it seems like they are having fun. Ian has developed some report with the new guys that do commentary (like Ben and Stu) although it was at its best with Kevin in the past. I enjoy the music. When he does an interview it feels like friends talking about the game, and I feel like I get better insight. Their production quality is also excellent and constantly improving. It just feels like Disc Golf to me. Terry Miller is doing a fabulous job, and I really appreciate all he has done. I bet he is more popular with folks in his region. But to me it feels stiff, less inspired by the game, and trying to be like Ball Golf. I'm more in the camp that DG trying to become mainstream by being more like Ball Golf is not the way to go. I'd rather the sport embrace a casual, recreational, fun-loving attitude and be itself. I think that will eventually make it more mainstream. Ball Golf is getting less and less popular. More on that here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-millennials-find-it-expensive-time-consuming. It is possible that Millennials and their kids would embrace a sport with laid back, hippy stereotype better than one with a rich, country club, business man stereotype.

here are two criticisms (not sure if you will consider it constructive though!) shared by myself and a number of other faithful watchers

1 - ian constantly frames his commentary to a question to whoever is with him constantly, often times when it is something that is plainly obvious to the viewer. there is a big difference between "the pathway on the left hand side is ob for this tee shot" and the ccdg version: a) "so, the left hand pathway is ob huh?", b) "uhhh yes", a) "yeah it is".

that goes on a large number of times in every video. it is extraneous and banal and easily fixed.

2 - there is just nonstop talking. every little thing that the viewer is looking at does not need to be described. we are watching the video. there is just zero breathing room during the videos. there is no need to talk for 40 minutes straight without so much as 5 seconds without talking. particularly when the talk is just pointless word-salad filler.

i can guarantee you that if you took every other disc golf commentary throughout the years, the words per minute spoken on a CCDG video tops the list. disc golf is a relaxing game, a lot of disc golf videos are relaxing and entertaining, you say yourself that the ccdg videos are trying to be upbeat and fun and an entertaining watch, so i do not understand the need to talk incessantly.

people are (generally) watching to observe top notch disc golf with good production. it isn't about you, so the disc golf does a lot of speaking for itself. there is no need to half-laugh at non-jokes 30 times a video.

small bonus tip: when the players are on video chatting it up about something, i would rather hear what they have to say, than it being overridden by commentary.

double bonus non-commentary tip: small player segments before or after the rounds would go a long way to making your videos more entertaining, and allow for the players to get their personality / brand out there. not necessarily a stilted question and answer format, but just a casual openended question or two to help frame the tournament / round and let the players talk a bit.

So I don't seem like a fan boy, I came up with one grievance. I think it was the GBO final round, camera 2, the wind was drowning out some of the commentary. Could have muted that footage and not lost anything.

Sorry if I'm wrong on which video, I've binged on DG videos the last few days

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised this thread is still going even after Ian chimed in, then again, I'm not surprised at all...

I'm a CCDG fan, so I guess that makes me a fanboy, but I don't see the point in nitpicking free content that is provided, by non-professionals, at much cost of time and effort by some guys who love the game.

I am a Patreon of CCDG and Jomez, and have donated several times to Smashboxx.

There seems to be a confusion of personal preference with actual criticism here...

My personal preferences: vids without commentary are boring; that includes most of Jomez, and McFly/Prodigy. PHP vids are too long, and the commentary is awkward and lacking in content and context. The live coverage is so boring and plagued by tech issues, it's unwatchable for more than a few minutes. Terry is a little corny and seemingly invasive to the players while on the course.

CCDG edits a round to under an hour, splits it for even more digestible content, includes players of all notoriety on the commentary, innovates constantly (music, graphics, drones, multi-cameras, post-produced edited rounds in general) and has provided exposure to a bunch of not nationally known players by covering regional tourneys.

Any commentator in sports can be criticized; I routinely turn the volume way down or mute when I watch the NFL or MLB, especially if it's on Fox or ESPN, and those guys get paid quite a bit for their talent, so demanding that Ian change while rejecting the notion of utilizing the mute button is pretty stupid. Until the day comes when we're listening to Jim Nantz lay his brand of cheese on disc golf, I would just relax and enjoy all the free coverage.

Latest posts