• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Challenge: Rate an unrated course this summer!

t i m

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Looking at other threads where stats junkies piecemeal all the stats for various reviews, it appears we have an unfulfilled need... there are still a lot of courses without reviews... 454 out of 2644 have zero course reviews... so roughly 1 out of 6 is completely unrated...

I want to put out a personal challenge to all board members and reviewers -- TRs especially -- to make it a point to play at least one unrated course this summer. Do a search right now and find out how many unrated courses are within 100 miles of you... (I've got 6 within 100 miles of me). Make it a point to play or review at least one of them.

Myself, I'm going to try to make time to review them all sometime soon. Looking at the calendar, it won't be until at least mid-June, but it will happen... If a few other people do the same, we can knock out the unreviewed courses by the end of the summer... if someone has time, it would be great to have a list (or a map) of all the courses needing a first review...

If people take up the charge, I think it would be great for everyone. Post in this thread what courses are near you that you plan to hit (or plan to hit on a roadtrip)... Let everyone know what courses they should expect reviews from sometime soon... it will also mean that DGCR folks can either meet up or divide and conquer for playing some of those out-of-the-way places...

You can do a search for courses rated 0 to 0. It'll turn up all the 0 rated courses and the unrated ones. Also, good idea t i m :)

Looking at other threads where stats junkies piecemeal all the stats for various reviews, it appears we have an unfulfilled need... there are still a lot of courses without reviews... 454 out of 2644 have zero course reviews... so roughly 1 out of 6 is completely unrated...

I want to put out a personal challenge to all board members and reviewers -- TRs especially -- to make it a point to play at least one unrated course this summer. Do a search right now and find out how many unrated courses are within 100 miles of you... (I've got 6 within 100 miles of me). Make it a point to play or review at least one of them.

Myself, I'm going to try to make time to review them all sometime soon. Looking at the calendar, it won't be until at least mid-June, but it will happen... If a few other people do the same, we can knock out the unreviewed courses by the end of the summer... if someone has time, it would be great to have a list (or a map) of all the courses needing a first review...

If people take up the charge, I think it would be great for everyone. Post in this thread what courses are near you that you plan to hit (or plan to hit on a roadtrip)... Let everyone know what courses they should expect reviews from sometime soon... it will also mean that DGCR folks can either meet up or divide and conquer for playing some of those out-of-the-way places...

Sounds like a great way to get more courses rated and reviewed! I'm road tripping this weekend, and there's one along my route, so I'll try to hit it and review it.

Here are the courses I'm going to try to hit up. There are six unreviewed courses near me, split into two clusters (in opposite directions). Each cluster is about 2 or 2.5 hours away.

The four mini-disc-golf (throwing minis at tiny baskets) in the Lancaster, PA area are unreviewed. That would be a fun daytrip for mini-golf. 77-holes of mini-huckin'-madness, right in the heart of Amish country.

The other two are just west of the Shenandoah mountains: Massnutten and Luray Rec. Two nine-hole courses with no information in the database. One is on a ski resort; the other is a backwoods rec park. No idea what to expect from either one, but they are close to a couple of fun courses that I've played before and close to A-T hiking, so it could be a good day trip that way as well... I'm looking at summer, and plan to make both trips sometime in the next two months.

So what new courses are you going to review? I think some sort of prize should go to whoever knocks the most courses off the remaining list of previously unplayed courses... I'll volunteer to pony up a year of DGCR membership for the winner, and/or a sweet disc TBD -- your choice. I've got some old/rare/CE/KC plastic that is ripe for a sweet dye and a collector status. If anyone wants to volunteer to dye some sort of prize disc for the biggest contributor, I'll pony up the disc to be dyed. But I guess we can figure out the prize details later. For now, let's get this started...

Contest Rules to be eligible
-- let's make this a summer review blowout:

1. You have to be the first reviewer for a previously unreviewed course, starting with reviews submitted June 1 and going through Aug. 31. Three months to get out there and hit these courses up.
  2. You have to have played the course at least as recently as May 1, 2009 -- no going back and doing reviews for courses you haven't seen in years.
  3. You have to try to fill in as much missing info as possible -- the more, the better. If you can find a scorecard and provide distances, take photos, draw/scan a rough map, write an A-list review, etc... please, please, please do what you can to fill in all the info you wish you had before going to the course. Updated directions help, too.
  4. At the end of the contest, you are responsible for keeping track of your own reviews. The person with the most reviews is not the automatic winner -- if the most reviews are not quality reviews, then the prize can go to someone who writes less reviews but does a much higher quality job of updating the course information to make it useful. Preference goes to most reviews, but it's not a guarantee -- the goal is to flesh out the database to make it as informative as possible for everyone, not just to put up 1-star and two sentences of content.

Let's find some courses that are undiscovered gems and continue to ramp up the quality of this site. :D

Did a quick search and found 4 with in 300 miles the 2 that have actual baskets are only 9 holes the other 2 have object and poles listed as pins. If any trips are taken near the 9 holers i will make a stop and get photos and such.

Though i think I will get some new pictures of a course around thats photos are outdated and holes are incorrect on the site since they changed the park around.

There is a church course here that is not even listed. I plan on hitting that.
There is also a course in Brewton AL that is on the way to my parents house...we are going to hit that. Also this grove course no one has reviewed.

The Grove
Burnt Corn Creek Park

Are going to be my contributions.

There is also a course in Brewton AL that is on the way to my parents house...we are going to hit that. Also this grove course no one has reviewed.

The Grove
Burnt Corn Creek Park

Excellent. If you can, add the courses that aren't in the system yet... even if they are private and you leave directions vague... just so people have heard of it, know about it, and know who to contact if they are in the area.

Also, random, I know -- but I was born in Lawrenceville, GA... don't see that city name often.

so what if there is a course that hasn't been listed on DGCR or built yet, but we're still the first reviewer/add a lot of info about the course? Are we gonna count those too?

Secondly, I say we start this right now. I'd rather not have anyone holding off on reviewing a course every until monday.

And third, shoot i forgot what i was going to say. oh yeah. There are also plenty of courses that have reviews, but don't have other very helpful items such as a course map, hole information, and pictures. So don't just search for courses with no reviews as you are looking around, but also be sure to search for courses without pictures, hole info, and especially the often needed course map. I know the course map will be the hardest thing to come buy, but it's also the most helpful.

I see a lot of courses that do not have pictures. My goal is to help the site out by taking pictures of the course. This feature is one of the biggest deciding factors in to my choice to play.

The adventure of rating virgin DGCR territory is quite a thrill. I have done it a few times. It seems everyone is assuming all of the unrated courses are crap but there are some gems out there. I was pleasantly surprised a few times. I am always on the lookout for unrated courses and encourage others to do so as well. I think picture taking and hole info, maps, updateddirections really add to the site. My I phone pics never translate well to site for some reason...I need to get a difital cam. What is really fun is finding a course no one knows about and giving it a decent review. Thats what really makes it fun. That I was here first feeling. If I was allowed to rename the courses I would since I discovered it ..LOL

What is really fun is finding a course no one knows about and giving it a decent review. Thats what really makes it fun. That I was here first feeling. If I was allowed to rename the courses I would since I discovered it ..LOL

Ok Columbus.... Ha!

I'm in. There are 31 courses with no reviews within 200 miles of me. 9 of those are in Wisconsin, so unless I figure out a way to drive across the lake I probably won't be reviewing those. I think I could knock seven or eight courses out in Chicagoland in one day. Maybe that'll be where I head first.

You can do a search for courses rated 0 to 0. It'll turn up all the 0 rated courses and the unrated ones.
Tim, that doesn't work in the map browser. Is it supposed to?

I'll have to fiddle with the map browser to get that to work correctly.

Edit: Working in the map browser now.

Last edited:
Tim, would it be possible to just add a search option for "zero reviews" to make it easy to find them?

I just did a quick review on a listed course that actually only has two baskets in the ground and the course is basically abandoned...I'll hit the other 2 courses in Cincy that have no review later this week..they are older 9 hole courses that until now..I've had no interest in going to play.

The Grove
Burnt Corn Creek Park

Which church has an unlisted course. Are you talking about the UMC in Chamblee? If so that is a pretty fun course that I play alot.