• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

champ spider

money 21

* Ace Member *
I just aquired a champ spider 168 pink wth a silver stamp. It feels almost like a putter or up shot disc. anyone out there a fan? what s this disc good at if anything?

I used to like them, and I know a couple others that did too. They excel at straight lines more than anything else. I would liken them to a slower, small diameter Buzzz from what I remember.

When I was throwing these I had pretty bad form, so take it with a grain of salt.

I have a CE Spider that is sweet. It flies straight and mine has been dependable and consistent. Nice stability to it for an approach shot. My playing partner has 2 Spiders and he talks them up all the time.

I got a champ spider a few years ago and it has, by far, gone in the basket from 60' to 160' more than any other disc i have owned. I mostly use it for an approach forehand disc and it works wonders. It is a 170 and its slightly gummy. I love the shapes you can do with this disc with the forehand. I can get myself out of nearly any trouble with the gummy spider. I can vouch for its awesomeness. :D

I love my CE Spider, it has been in my bag longer than anything else. It is my security blanket disc. I'm sure it's the cause of some overlap, but I don't care. It works as a nice windy putter as well as approach disc.

The best thing about the Champ Spider is also its biggest weakness. It does everything quite well but truly excels at nothing. I LOVE the Champ Spider for 1 disc rounds, and I always keep one in my car in case a chance to play arises unexpectedly. Oh, and I second the long putt comment.

Oh yes i forgot about how good of a windy putter it is too. I used to use it for wind but now i am a way better putter than before so i just use my kc for all putts.

The spider is a very good, reliable mid. Fairly stable and not a ton of glide. Good for wind too because it doesn't get blown all over the place.

I'd almost liken it to a rhyno with a shallower rim. I used to throw one but replaced it with a buzzz.

I got a chance to throw this disc to day and was very impressed. I am not going to say it took strokes off my game or that it is what was missing in my bag, However what I saw was putter accuracy with mid range distance, and a spot in my bag.

money 21 said:
However what I saw was putter accuracy with mid range distance, and a spot in my bag.

I'm pretty sure I could get my Ion out there farther than I could throw a Spider.

twmccoy said:
I used to throw one but replaced it with a buzzz.

This. I'd still break out a Spider for one disc rounds because it putts better, but when I have a putter the Buzzz wins out.

I was on a baseball field tonight throwing into a wind getting 225' out of the spider. I only throw a teebird 325' with no wind. I have not thrown an Ion so i can't comment on that. I live in a small town and Innova and discraft are all I can get locally and I hate buying a disc with out getting my hands on it first.

money 21 said:
I was on a baseball field tonight throwing into a wind getting 225' out of the spider. I only throw a teebird 325' with no wind. I have not thrown an Ion so i can't comment on that. I live in a small town and Innova and discraft are all I can get locally and I hate buying a disc with out getting my hands on it first.

I think over time, you'll get sick of the Spider's lack of glide. It's a midrange, but it isn't going any futher for you than a putter should go. A Comet, Buzzz or some other mid with a lot of glide will work better for you in the long run.

I actually refrained from posting here for a while, mainly because I just dumped Spiders and went back to the Roc. I threw the Buzz , then Spider then went to a Roc I had found, got a few and threw those. Then went to the Spider, and now I'm back to the Roc's after about 1 year or little more with the Spiders the second time. I shouldn't have gotten rid of my 11x Rocs but that's another story. The Spider isn't the worst Mid range, but it's just simply not the best either. I threw it for a long time, DX and Champs. They just don't hold the lines like they should. They perform well at some straight shots, especially light champ, or beat DX. They're good there. But, they lack glide and they don't perform other shots as well as a Roc. I fell in love with the Spider after throwing the Buzz. It was easier to get it go straight for me, and still do other shots pretty well. Roc's namely are more workable all around, unless you want to carry more than one mid disc, then carry a Spider and something else. I carried Champ Spiders and Champ Panthers.

I think I have hit more long birdie shots after having messed up my drive, with the Spider. But, that's not a reason to hold on to it. I can throw my Putters as far as I can my Spiders, Danforth is right there. :lol: In a field the farthest I've gotten a Spider was 350, and that was slightly down hill. Most shots were 275-280 with a decent drive, flat ground. I can hit 300-320 constant with Roc's flat ground.

I tinkered with the spider recently because I was looking for a Puma replacement(OOP disc). After some testing I found out I could work my putters more reliably at the same distance. the only line I would use a spider/puma type disc is a hyzer flip s-curve which is rarely needed and more of a "that flight path looked cool" type of shot in front of friends. If you can control the flip, the disc can work some magic around trees/obstacles.

I use my champ spider as an overstable very short range disc. Its flies well for windy day putts or short hyzer shots... that's about it.

I've got a 150 champ spider that i take out every so often. To me it flys decently and holds a line but has no glide. Not really sure what it's strong suit is. I can throw the wizard further it just takes a bit more finesse. A roc will hold a line and has better glide. Maybe there is a reason Spiders aren't that popular.

I've been messing around with spiders for shots where I'd like to throw a putter, but can't get one to hold a steep enough hyzer line. Basically hyzers in the 150-200 foot range are what I think they're really good at.. I can only throw spiders about 300' on a full power throw. I like them, but they aren't as long as most mids. Not a ton of glide. Very nice amount of fade.

I think they're underrated, but if you're looking for a Buzzz flight, you'll probably be frustrated by how hard you have to throw them to get 300'.