• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Champion Amoeba Stingrays....it's time!

I don't get it... apparently my star stingray is no big deal but champ/dx stingrays are all the hotness?

why?

Your Star Stingray is probably a Super Stingray, which is not the original mold and doesn't fly as such.

Exactly what he said. Star rays are the super stingray mold. I really like my max weight star for just dirty long hyzer flips and long slow turnovers. But they cant compare to the old mold stingray.

I don't get it... apparently my star stingray is no big deal but champ/dx stingrays are all the hotness?

why?

The old mold of Stingrays were of the San Marino mold. These Stingrays especially in the Champion and CE plastic (basically the same if you had the multi purpose stamp) were very durable and had super glide. They are very understable, even more so than the batch ran just afterwards. You can snap them dead flat and have a wonderful turnover thrower. Or you could hyzer flip these beauties and watch them flip to flat glide straight and then go into their turn and fade ever so gently back to straight. That's the reason why people pay so much for them these days. The next run was the Ontario mold Stingrays which were still understable but didn't have the same amount of turn as the Sannies.

I've only owned 1 stingray and it was the current dx one , it was like a midrange blizzard mamba... immediately turned into a roll from the get go.

The old mold of Stingrays were of the San Marino mold. These Stingrays especially in the Champion and CE plastic (basically the same if you had the multi purpose stamp) were very durable and had super glide. They are very understable, even more so than the batch ran just afterwards. You can snap them dead flat and have a wonderful turnover thrower. Or you could hyzer flip these beauties and watch them flip to flat glide straight and then go into their turn and fade ever so gently back to straight. That's the reason why people pay so much for them these days. The next run was the Ontario mold Stingrays which were still understable but didn't have the same amount of turn as the Sannies.

Exactly! Very good summary! If you're turning these into a roller, put some hyzer on it and make sure you're not torquing/wrist rolling it

Your Star Stingray is probably a Super Stingray, which is not the original mold and doesn't fly as such.

Yep, grabbed one earlier this year and noticed immediately it was not the same as my DX. Quickly traded it to friend who uses it for noodle arm tunnel shots. Maybe it will get more turn in time, but off the shelf current star stingrays are of no use to me.

Bump for the thread...

Recently picked up an Innova factory champion stingray from a local PIAS and holy crap can these things glide and fly. Now I am really hoping they do this Amoeba reprint so I can get a few, love this mid.

I'm sorry, I do not have any update on these. Last I checked in with Innova we had about 275 pre-orders. They didn't think this was enough for a run (I tried to explain that I only had access to a small portion of the dg community, but no dice so far)

Latest posts