• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To Bag or Not to Bag? (A Midrange)

HERB brooks

Birdie Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Just started playing again on actual courses last year for the first time since 1999 or so...played around campus in college from tree to tree making up holes as we went along in 2005 ( more or less 2 years experience)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHFH (drives & approach), Tommy, RHBH (approach shots only)
Golf Distance (avg/max*): Pig: 220/250'; Teebird: 280/315'; Valkyrie/Boatman 315/350'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Nothing major
Other sport proficiencies?: Lacrosse, Hockey
Additional Information: I have been throwing a frisbee since I learned how to throw a football & baseball. Disc golf has been a somewhat smooth transition.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Can't decide If I need to bag a midrange...Can't decide on an OS headwind driver that is not a pure utility disc
Specific areas of desired feedback:
Immediate and long-term goals: I would like to shave 2-4 strokes off my game and join the 400' club

Core Bag:

Drivers:
169 VIP Boatman (used but stable7/10) - Distance driver, consistent straight to fade unless headwind is significant
160? Gummy Champion 5X JK Valkyrie (beat into sweet spot 6.5/10) - Long distance bomber S-turns, shots from an elevated teepad... Longest disc in my bag, consistent flight... SUPER GUMMY Laffy Taffy plastic
173 Phoenix Line Gou (used 8.5/10) - Since I can't throw backhand with anything faster than a putter, i need this disc for all longer shots I need to finish left (RHFH)... effortless distance with tailwind or hyzer flip
175 Avery Jenkins Swirly Star Teebird, (used but stable 8/10) - workhorse fairway, dependable end of flight fade

Mids:
155 Star Whippet X Factory 2nd (used 8/10) - Ostensibly a longer Pig (as you will soon see the Pig is my favorite disc)... lighter weight lets me throw many lines with the Whippet, not just a meathook. Closest thing to a midrange in my bag ATM

Putters:
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (new 9.5/10) - Fresh Pig for big Hyzer approaches (I consider an approach anywhere from ~225' and in , back up for my baby)
175 Pro Pig (Innova Factory store new 9/10) - Hit & stick hyper approach
175 Blizzard Champion Pig (used but still OS 7/10) - Most used disc in the bag, very dependable straight to fade workhorse approach and turbo putts...Ace Disc!
172 R-Pro Pig (used but stable 6.5/10) - My line shaping Pig, lots of HSS but without the big dump characteristic of Pigs
172 Liquid Metal Lockjaw ( used 7.5/10) recent purchase from here on the marketplace... glidey approach shots, tight wooded hole hyper flips... this disc flies like a Pig with glide
175 Fossil Fuel Serpent - main putter... Brick like glide lets me run chains, without fear of a huge comeback putt. Also great for turbo putts.

Occasionally In The Bag:
173 Opto Scythe (used 8.5/10) - Headwind drives, flex shots, Tommys
175 Armor Flex Raptor ( new 9.5/10) - Super Beefy Utility, probably too much disc for me, but inly thrown this one for two rounds and no field practice, got this one in the email two days ago
170 Champion Valkyrie (new 9.5/10) - Testing stock champion version of my best distance driver, one y had this disc for a coupe days also.
171 VIP Tursas (used 8/10) - shorter turnover shots & easy hyzer flips. Only midrange I have ever clicked with...Ace Disc!
169 Elite Z Mantis (beat 6/10) - Best Tommy disc I have... starting to become too flippy for my liking, but used to be my favorite disc without question (great line hyper when newer). Want to replace this with another Teebird or other option as a line shaping fairway.

I love my Pig farm that I have in the bag, but wonder if I should be using a true midrange or tweener disc to cover the shots between my Pig and Teebird ranges. I can range the Pig up to 250 consistently, and feel more confident with my Piggies than with any other disc I bag. Occasionally I find a shot where a slightly longer and slightly less OS Pig would be perfect for my game. I recently kicked out all my old midranges and committed to the Pigs, but should I consider bagging something to bridge my Teebird/Pig gap? Please don't recommend the Buzzz, i traded mine to a buddy in exchange for the 5x Valk because I didn't care for the Buzzz.

The other hole in my lineup is the OS driver category. I love the Scythe, but don't like how much effort I have to throw it with. I got the RDG Raptor to replace it, but as of now I'm not clicking with it. Any suggestions on what would be more OS than my Boatman, but something thats not a pure utility disc?

Any feedback would be great, especially if people think I have other gaps in the lineup,

Last edited:
As you said yourself.... If you have a gap/hole in your bag, fill it! From what I read, maybe a Star Gator would fit in. It's a good utility disc, as well...

Since you said you clicked with the Tursas I would recommend the Warship in VIP. It feels similar to a Tursas but straight flier.

If you haven't tried a Roc, then you should. Grab a max weight DX or KC Pro and give it a shot. They will definitely fill the gap between your pigs and Teebirds. Or you can check out my personal favorite - the Legacy Ghost. Pretty similar to a Roc, but I like the plastic better.

As you said yourself.... If you have a gap/hole in your bag, fill it! From what I read, maybe a Star Gator would fit in. It's a good utility disc, as well...

I have been thinking of getting a gator recently, good suggestion. How common are the beadless gators at this point? I usually don't like the feel of beaded discs.

Since you said you clicked with the Tursas I would recommend the Warship in VIP. It feels similar to a Tursas but straight flier.

I really like the Tursas, its great for forehand turnover shots for me, but its too similar to my Gou, which I can use for a larger variety of shots. I tried a VIP Warship and didn't really like it too much. It wasn't a bad disc by any means, but it didn't feel comfortable in my hand so ultimately I gave it to a friend who lost his midrange.

If you haven't tried a Roc, then you should. Grab a max weight DX or KC Pro and give it a shot. They will definitely fill the gap between your pigs and Teebirds. Or you can check out my personal favorite - the Legacy Ghost. Pretty similar to a Roc, but I like the plastic better.

Never tried anything from Legacy, what would be a good plastic to try if I wanted to grab a ghost, or are there any blends to avoid.

I'm really happy using my lightweight Whippet as a bridge between the Pigs and Teebirds, but am scared that will be hard to replace if and when I ever lose it. This must be a freak Whippet because it not super OS, very workable for the tweener shots from Pig to Bird

So Far I have tried:
DX Skeeter-170g (squirrelly and inconsistent)
VIP Warship-174g (uncomfortable in hand)
VIP Tursas-171g (retired ace disc but probably too US for a workhorse mid anyways)
Star Cro-175g (liked how it felt, didn't like how it flew at all not as OS as advertised)
Champ Panther- 168g (good, just liked the Tursas better)

I throw a lot forehand and love the verdict, Emac Truth, and M4. Go Verdict for a longer less OS pig that still has good finish. As for a great OS non meathook forehand driver look no further than the C line PD.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have been thinking of getting a gator recently, good suggestion. How common are the beadless gators at this point? I usually don't like the feel of beaded discs.

I don't think they're common. Others on DGCR will know more about that than I do.

My two Star Gators are beaded. They perform well, so I excuse the bead and drive on with 'em....

I think one of the hyzerbomb molds is essentially a beadless gator.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Never tried anything from Legacy, what would be a good plastic to try if I wanted to grab a ghost, or are there any blends to avoid.

My personal favorite plastic for the Ghost is Protege. It is similar to a nice, stiff KC Pro blend. If you prefer premium plastic, then I would go with Pinnacle. Makes for a good, long-lasting workhorse mid.

It seems you like the thumb trac. Look at old Ching discs or like a Wolf. If its too understable try a Gator it works for me.

Maybe an m4? Goes forever with little effort but also great for approaches

This was my thought. M3/M4. M3 for dead straight with a slight fade. M4 for dead straight, straight finish, straight landing (this disc doesn't know fade exists) and effortless turnover shots with great glide.

Good suggestions from everyone...thanks for the input. I'm gonna look at adding either the Gator, Roc, or Verdict here in the near future. Prob want to try something more overs table than the Wolf or Prodigy options suggested.

Wound up losing my Gou last night at the Aviary in Colorado Springs. Put way too much on to a roller, rolled her into the drink on hole 11. The Tursas may have to come out of retirement to replace the Gou for FH turnovers/anhyzer.

Also got a C-Line PD(167 g) on Monday which I'm really happy with so far

I use a midrange very little at times. Most park courses by my home have holes 300 - 400 and you throw a driver and putt out or make a short upshot with a putter and a mid never makes an appearance. It is when I go out of town and play some longer or more wooded courses that discs like my Buzzz, Buzzz OS & Meteor come out to play. Bottom line is add those mids now & throw them at least in practice to be ready for other courses where they may be of more use.

Gator is great. I have a star that has a bead, but the way the disc is shaped it doesn't feel like the bead on a roc or a KC aviar. It is much more comfortable.

Now I putt with Yeti, consider the gator a long putter and only carry 2 rocs a mids now, so I guess I like beads, take what I have to say with a grain of salt:)

I also like to use my Yetis for any shot I can. I have a ton i cycle in and out of the bag and if I can throw that I will. I think you instinct to stick to the Pigs as your mid is a good one.

If you feel like you need another disc, go for it. I have been playing much more confidently after simplifying my bag though.

I'd try a buzz, when I first started playing I used it for driving, approaches, and putting. It's a dead straight flyer that you can rely on. Plus NO BEAD! And by the way id be happy to take that raptor off your hands