• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Championship Courses"

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I see this term bandied around quite a bit, especially the courses used for DGPT events, but often with new courses. IMO, the DGPT courses aren't necessarily the best courses (if that equals championship), and most people here, know it. So, how does that label work when tagged to a new course ?

Last edited:
Naive

My naive guess is that the assessor believes that the course would be worth consideration for inclusion in the suite of courses used for national (or other high level) championships. If it is the only worthy course in its area then obviously it would not be used for that purpose. But s/he believes that if there were other nearby courses of the same caliber then it would be a future possibility.

As I said, naive.

Sometimes, particularly on local courses, it just means harder than average -- and that may translate as longer than average.

It should mean, at a minimum, designed to challenge top-level players. The argument could be made that it should mean more than that -- qualities or amenities or features that elevate it above merely being challenging.

But there are no governing standards; like many things, the term is available for anyone to use as they see fit.

In swimming an Olympic sized pool is 30 meters long, 25 meters wide, and at least 2 meters deep. Lots of hotels and motels advertise that they have an "Olympic sized pool." Spoiler alert: hotel pools are usually closer to bathtub-sized than Olympic-sized.

I get the impression that the term "championship course" is bandied about almost as freely as the term "Olympic sized pool." :p

minimum of 18 holes (duh)
multiple par 4s and 5s
probably stupid long
high quality baskets and tees?

Agree that there's no universally accepted definition. It's a pretty meaningless term that gets thrown around by dg media and dgcr users all the time. I'm sure I've written it into a review or three without a clear idea of what exactly I meant by it.

To me.

It's a course with multiple tees for multiple skill levels. A course with multiple pin placements per hole. A course that is designed so that each set of tees is supposed to challenge a certain skill level. Blue 950, gold 1000, black 1050. A course that has good tee pads and signs. A course that has good amenities including bathrooms and water. And overall a course that is challenging with par between 66-72. And where if you play the gold tees and manage par, the ratings should come close to 1000.

I think "Championship" course means (to me) highly polished. Nice tees, quality baskets, well mowed and maintained... ready for an Important Tournament. Helps to have room for spectators.

Edit: and high quality challenge for whatever Championship might occur. But "Championship" means other things than merely challenging.

An anecdote that may or may not help illustrate my point:

In Colorado, my opinion is that Bailey is the most "Championship" quality course. Personally I'd rather play Bear, or Beaver, or Bucksnort. But they are not as "Championship" as Bailey.

Last edited:
So, how does that label work when tagged to a new course ?

i find it usually doesn't

i like David's answer, it should mean challenging to top level players. in reality it seems like it usually means long and harder than the AM2 locals can handle.

i'm curious as to why y'all think that amenities and polish should or should not be a qualifier.

I see this term bandied around quite a bit, especially the courses used for DGPT events, but often with new courses. IMO, the DGPT courses aren't necessarily the best courses (if that equals championship), and most people here, know it. So, how does that label work when tagged to a new course ?

It seems more of a marketing term.

Likely long, lots of artificial OB. Level of difficulty and features / amenities likely varies with level of championship: Local, state, national, world.

I agree with most of what's been said. With no governing body to define use of the term, it's akin to calling a food "lite."

In my mind, it connotes a course that's not only challenging enough for top level players, but also suitable for hosting a top level event.

i'm curious as to why y'all think that amenities and polish should or should not be a qualifier.

A layout that's long and challenging, with legit par 4's and 5's is a good start. But a truly championship caliber course should be an example of "a course done right," and represent the game in a positive light. There's more to that than just distance and challenge.

It must have decent tees and baskets, and preferably at least porta-johns... because chit happens, and players shouldn't be forced to use leaves while chasing down the leader, or protecting a lead.

Ideally, it should also be well-maintained, but that's really more about being "tournament ready" than it is about being "championship caliber."

Last edited:
the DGPT courses aren't necessarily the best courses (if that equals championship), and most people here, know it.

:thmbup:

Idlewild is terrific. Toboggan, Maple Hill, Smuggler's Notch and Milo look fantastic.

The rest, not so much.

Watching the first 2 rounds of the Master's Cup is some of my favorite DG of the year. Then they play the final round on a golf course :sick:

If you think the phrase "championship course" is used a little promiscuously, take a peek at the word "championship", and how many tournaments carry that label. There must be hundreds.

Still bitter about your lack of "champion" titles?

I want to design a Championship Mini-Disc Golf Course.
:|

Still bitter about your lack of "champion" titles?

I multiplied 432 "championship" tournaments by 57 available divisions by 26 years of competition, with the result convincing me that there are more than enough going around, and I'm missing my share.