• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Champs vs Chumps

cfair

* Ace Member *
I know CCDG has their own entire thread but these Champs vs Chumps Videos are amazing. Obviously it is cool to see a pro playing peeps on the skill level of most people. But it is really cool to see the Chumps pull out some great shots as a group and get footage of it.

And the highlight is of course Nate Sexton laying down some ruthless comentary at every opportuniy. With CCDG vs Jomez, Roc vs Buzzz, and other regional events I would love to see more stuff like this. Especially to get the voice of other conentators as AJ Risley did a stellar job as well.

Post your favorite comments, moments, and what you'd like to see more of here.

I want to see Barsby or MJ on one of these.

I thought AJ was ok when doing the "color" part of the commentary for the Grudge Match(describing conditions and shots, giving grief to guys when they threw bad shots and such). He was a little awkward at times doing play by play, especially early on. He did get better as the match went on though. I think given the conditions and some of throws made, Nate would have been epic on this vid. He is much more fluid than AJ(no knock on AJ, its just he has more experience at this point, especially doing the commentary on course) and it doesn't really seem it takes much effort for him. Whereas, you could tell AJ was searching for things to say at times.

I know this might not be popular, but I don't enjoy these at all. I watch a fair amount of disc golf, both MPO and FPO, but C vs C is just kind of dumb. Just one guys take. :eek: Sorry.

First off. This thread fails because it doesn't give me a link to watch.

So I had to google it. And, first impression. Meh, not my favorite thing to watch. But I'm bored enough...

So it's still on, and I'm mildly entertained.

Will I sit in anticipation for the next one? Nope. Will I turn it on if I'm bored and happen to see it on come across the newsfeed? Probably, if I don't have anything else going on..

I think the one of the better aspects of the CvC and the other "Fun rounds with Paul" is just that. Paul having fun. Its cool to see him let his hair down and have some fun. He is usually very serious and locked in during events...

...and I've said it before... Nate just absolutely kills me during Battle of the Eras. I've watched those vids at least 6 or 7 times and it never gets old.

Champs v chumps was a novel idea. I don't mind them, but it'd be nice to see maybe other pros or doubles pros just mop n up the chumps. Just seeing Paul with another player of equal to or less than a chump is getting rather recycled. Paul's partner nearly never adds anything, no offense ;)

And Brotherdave is right on Sexton commentary. Sexton has it in him to be very funny, but you can tell he definitley holds back, maybe to not rag on or discourage the noobs too bad... but it's a sacrifice of what could be epic color commentary. Hell, give MurderMike a 40 of Mickeys or some craft brews and he'd make it the best commentary ever, seriously!

Also AJ Risley was really a pretty good choice and definitley added some good laughs. Was a nice change and mixed it up nicely.

Last edited:
I like Champs vs. Chumps a lot. This is because, besides being fun to watch, it provides something new to me. Watching the pros is easy to do, I've done that a lot, but they play on a level so far from mine. Watching noobs, however, usually is boring. There's hardly good noob footage out there. The Champs vs. Chumps videos provide such footage. Plus, they show the differences between Champs and Chumps and between good Chumps and bad Chumps. And the Doubles/Quadruple makes it even kinda fair. To me, all this provides unique watching value. (If you see these things every week on your courses, you might not have a need for it. For me, the possibility to watch it is valuable.) There are few disc golf videos I like to watch more than the Champs vs. Chumps matches.

My highlight, btw, is Johnny Disg Golf, e.g. with his tomahawk here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAYzcVoDlg

[begin joke]
Yeah, well....your face is stupid....
[/joke]

In all seriousness though, I feel you. There have been some fun ones; the first CCDG v Paul, the one at Swope park. Ricky and Paige at the SFO should be really fun. I wish we could see more Battle of the Eras type stuff though; now THAT was funny

I liked the first Champ vs Chumps, that was fun to watch.
But champ and woman vs lot's of chumps? Nah, too cheesy.

I do like the odd ball stuff though, starter pack challenge, battle of the eras and the 90's style with Paul and Kyle.
I've watched the battle of the eras more than once and even bought a Condor after watching Paul throw one.

I'd love to see them do a DeLa putter only round!!

I am a fan. Like the contrast and comparison to Paul and the average chump. But like others have said, Sexton makes the coverage with his commentary.

Would love to see Paul with other pro's though (Simon, Eagle, Jerm, etc, or even FPO players). With two pro's maybe let Sexton throw a drive out there on every hole to level it a bit.

I enjoy these, but I would prefer to see Paul play by himself. I think he would probably play better and it would be more true to the title

Over the past week or so I've rewatched most of these fun rounds, and I keep laughing at sexton from the battle of the eras when Ian asks him what the wind's doing and he responds with an angry "Quit asking me about the WIND!"

https://youtu.be/t6Y4H6ZXacY?t=1292

The blur at the beginning of the round when Nate is doing stretches, is just classic...

...or "Check out this new throwing style I invented.".. or "they didn't have minis in the 80s.":thmbup:

Champ quartets vs Champs is fun to see how on the best of days, best of luck with the throw of their lives chumps like us can come close to a Paul McBeth even if it's just one ridiculously lucky shot and Paul hit an early tree... well ok maybe not.
Battle of the Era's, Starter Pack challenge are the best of them for me. I like rounds that force the pro's into a certain context to show case their skill and show off how good they actually are with things like limited disc selection.
It's one thing to see pros bombing high speed discs around, something I can't. But then when Nate Sexton takes a light weight champ Valkyrie and makes it dance forehand and backhand and shoots a round better than I'll ever shoot on that course it adds a cool perspective.

I know CCDG has their own entire thread but these Champs vs Chumps Videos are amazing. Obviously it is cool to see a pro playing peeps on the skill level of most people. But it is really cool to see the Chumps pull out some great shots as a group and get footage of it.

And the highlight is of course Nate Sexton laying down some ruthless comentary at every opportuniy. With CCDG vs Jomez, Roc vs Buzzz, and other regional events I would love to see more stuff like this. Especially to get the voice of other conentators as AJ Risley did a stellar job as well.

Post your favorite comments, moments, and what you'd like to see more of here.

I want to see Barsby or MJ on one of these.

Thats the best part! lol Sexton cracking on the chumps every chance he gets is hilarious! There are some good ones out there. The chumps show up to play sometimes!