• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charging people to give their disc back?

- it's rude to not offer something in return for someone returning your disc (especially if it is being shipped back to you).

- it's also rude to demand payment for returning a disc unless there is a special circumstance. (i.e. you are returning 20 discs and could not possibly pay shipping on them all)

once again, just common knowledge on good etiquette.

This.

When I find discs, I call and expect to be met at a course of my choosing at a time that works for me. Or just leave it at the course pro shop, if applicable.

But I think it is situational. As someone pointed out earlier, if you lost it in the water, you clearly saw it go in and decided it wasn't worth the time/effort to get it. If someone took time to fish it out, probably reasonable to expect to have to pay a nominal fee (few bucks). I don't think that is too d-baggy and wouldn't take too much offense, especially if it was a favorite disc (they're all favorites).

That said... I can't imagine being the person to actually call someone up and ask for payment for their own disc. A smart caller would ask for nothing and hope for some good karma to come his/her way.

Do you think its right to charge someone to give them their disc back? because I got a call from someone saying hey I got your disc and it will cost you $5 to get it back. what should I do?

What ever you want. I've never asked for a reward but have always offered one. (Except to guys I see regularly.)

Depends on the situation. if it was a water disc then you didnt lose the disc you abandoned it and he salvaged it and offering a nominal fee for his work is perfectly fine.

If you lost it in woods or grass then thats different.

- it's rude to not offer something in return for someone returning your disc (especially if it is being shipped back to you).

- it's also rude to demand payment for returning a disc unless there is a special circumstance. (i.e. you are returning 20 discs and could not possibly pay shipping on them all)

once again, just common knowledge on good etiquette.

Yes, good etiquette should dictate how to handle these situations. The lack of common knowledge on these issues continues to amaze me.

The few times I have received calls on my lost discs, I have offered cash or a disc of their choice in return.

Back in January, I got a text from someone while I was out of town, saying that he found my champ valk. I told him I would give him $10 or his choice of a disc or 2 from my trunk. I tried to get in touch multiple times via text and calls/voicemails. Still waiting on that valk....:confused:

Last year, I got a call from a kid who had found my star valk. This disc had been gone for 2+ years. He told me that he only had 1 other disc. I offered to give him a putter and a driver in exchange for my disc because I wanted him to know that regular disc golfers appreciate the calls on lost plastic....and I told him that when we met. He walked away with a new aviar p&a and a new star monster (he didn't want the leopard for some reason).

Gotta stop losing those valks :doh:

I've had a few people offer me money when returning a disc, I always joke with them that if I didn't bleed or get wet getting it I didn't need anything more than the good disc karma.

Personally, most people I know (myself included) don't look to get a finder's fee, but I can see where some folks think its fair and appropriate...after all, they could prolly sell the disc for half of retail pretty easily (regardles of whether or not that's a low class move).

Like anything else... it depends: The disc owner you should certainly cover any costs the finder incurred to return the disc (shipping, gas, etc), but
I don't necessarily mind throwing a few bucks the finder's way, especially if I get the impression they could use the dough... perhaps I'm judging people, but, it's just one way to show your appreciation.

Heard of offering the finders another disc that holds no real value to you, too. Not saying that's wrong, but essentially, isn't that just trading someone for your own disc?

Personally, I think a beer (root being my preference) after a round seems most appropriate! :)

Karma?

Karma: the force created by a person's actions that some people believe causes good or bad things to happen to that person

And that "force" would be what exactly?

Force.jpg

If anyone returns a disc I lose, I almost always kick the guy a new disc, or a few bucks. Been doing it for 18 years like that.

First time I ever returned a disc, I was given a brand new disc. So I do the same.

Karma?

Karma: the force created by a person's actions that some people believe causes good or bad things to happen to that person

And that "force" would be what exactly?

I don't know, but "karma" might as well be the DG'ers deity. I sure wish we could get through one of these threads without someone mentioning it like its existence is proven scientific fact.

As far as people asking for money for you to get your disc back, well, its a matter of how badly you want it back, versus what they're asking.

I threw a disc out in a nasty pond in Colorado last summer. A couple of days later, I get a call from a gentleman associated with the local club telling me that he had found it and that there was a $2 retrieval fee. Being that is was a DX Teebird, it really wasn't worth the effort, but I was so psyched that someone had actually called, (and from out of state no less), I called him back, got his address, and sent him a bubble mailer with a return address label, stamps, the $2, and a thank you note. A few days later I got it back.

So honestly, I don't think its rude to ask for a retrieval fee per se, particularly if someone goes into nasty gunk that I wasn't willing to enter to get the thing.

But when the caller makes things seem more like he's holding your disc hostage however, that's when you make a lower offer, tell them to enjoy their new disc as you have plenty of backups, or take the scorched earth approach and tell them to go f*** themselves.

The problem, I see, is that while most of us wouldn't ask for $$ to return a disc - the person who is asking for $$ has a completely different mindset. If they aren't going to get your $$ then in the future they are going to be less likely to either return a disc and either keep it if they want it or sell it via some other means.

Maybe somebody charged the first guy for his own disc once and he feels like he has the right to do the same. Or maybe he's just trying to scrape together some cash to by drugs or pay for an abortion. It's hard to tell what kind of miscreant he might be.

Either way, I'd just be happy with a phone call.

This is an interesting debate.....On one hand I think I would be pissed off if somebody charged me for my own disc...........However as being a person who has lost plenty of disc and NEVER had one returned...I would gladly pay $5 for a disc I really wanted back. Also would depend on how long and hard I looked for it. For example, if said fellow went diving to get my disc I would pay him $5 dollars and throw him a beer.

I've shipped disc's back to people that I've found on the course's and not once did I ask for compensation or did they ask to give it. I'd like to think I'm getting karma back, but that is FAR from the case.

As a disc diver, I never charge or accept cash rewards, but I could understand why some disc divers would charge. They are doing a service to you and a small fee is not unreasonable.

If I have to mail a disc, I will ask for $3 to cover my costs. If it was only one or two discs I would not mind, but the last time we went disc diving, we found about 40 with names and numbers. Postage would add up quick if I offered it to everyone at no charge.

Now a disc someone finds while playing / looking for their own is a completely different story. No charge should be demanded.

The problem, I see, is that while most of us wouldn't ask for $$ to return a disc - the person who is asking for $$ has a completely different mindset. If they aren't going to get your $$ then in the future they are going to be less likely to either return a disc and either keep it if they want it or sell it via some other means.

Sounds like the problem is all THEIR'S!

Hey, you can always buy another disc, what you can't buy is Character.

Also, there are a lot of disc divers out there who do not call and sell discs with names and numbers. I would greatly appreciate a call and a chance to get my disc back for a few dollars rather than no call at all and no chance to get my discs.

Latest posts