• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte vs. Raleigh

Dingus

Banned
I am looking at a job with a territory in the Mid-South (Maryland to SC). Geographically Raleigh makes the most sense, but I have been conditioned to believe Charlotte has far better disc golf. How do they compare? Is Charlotte significantly better, or is it a matter of Raleigh being choice 1b? Am I correct thinking my access to Virginia and SC is better from Raleigh? Thanks for any advice!

Raleigh has a bunch of courses and a couple of nice ones for sure. It does not compare to the depth of quality you see in Charlotte where you can play a different 3.5+ rated course every day of the week however. Raleigh is 2 hours closer to central VA. but is not better access to SC with Charlotte being right on the border. The only part of SC closer to Raleigh is the NE coast like Myrtle beach.

Charlotte disc golf is better than Raleigh for number of courses and probably quality. That being said, There is a new 8000' course in Clayton (just 10 miles south of Raleigh) that just needs signs and tee pads to be complete. Another course opening in Morrisville soon. A new course slated for Raleigh (Marsh Creek). My buddy Dave (designer of Zebulon) is about to start on 2 new courses in Louisburg (35 miles from Raleigh). In addition, the Charlotte metro area is about the size of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area and when you add all those courses, we probably are getting close to Charlotte for number of courses.

Regarding your job, Raleigh is only an hour from VA and 3 from SC. Charlotte is 30 min from SC but closer to 4 to VA.

Charlotte is miles ahead of Raleigh dg-wise, both in terms of courses and in terms of caliber of players. This was not always the case- back in the late 90's Raleigh boasted more talent player-wise than pretty much anywhere. In my opinion the best disc golf from SC to MD other than Charlotte is here in the Spotsylvania area of Virginia.

Access to Virginia is definitely better from Raleigh, Charlotte is practically in South Carolina though. If you have to go into Maryland very often you might want to consider Richmond.

Jobwise a significant number of accounts would be with NC government, so Raleigh. What is the drive like from Charlotte to Raleigh? Google says 3 hours, accurate? Is there an Eastern Charlotte suburb that would make that easier?

Charlotte is miles ahead of Raleigh dg-wise, both in terms of courses and in terms of caliber of players. This was not always the case- back in the late 90's Raleigh boasted more talent player-wise than pretty much anywhere. In my opinion the best disc golf from SC to MD other than Charlotte is here in the Spotsylvania area of Virginia.

Access to Virginia is definitely better from Raleigh, Charlotte is practically in South Carolina though. If you have to go into Maryland very often you might want to consider Richmond.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but if your played course list is up to date, you have not played even close to the best courses in the Raleigh area.

Jobwise a significant number of accounts would be with NC government, so Raleigh. What is the drive like from Charlotte to Raleigh? Google says 3 hours, accurate? Is there an Eastern Charlotte suburb that would make that easier?

Concord, NC would be somewhat better. Probably in the 2.5 hours range.

What do we think about the two suburbs for other things? Like things to do and raising kids?

Have not lived in Charlotte so I can't help you with things to do or raising kids there.

In defense of Raleigh, if you look at the Triangle region as a whole, it's really not that bad of an area for disc golf.

It's an hour from south charlotte - where Renny and other courses are - to Bradford. So if you use the same diameter, you include a lot of quality courses.

I'm not in anyway suggesting the Raleigh area is better than Charlotte in terms of courses, because it's not, but most people look up Raleigh and only see three courses, which is technically true, but the area has way more than just three.

No one said Raleigh was a bad area for disc golf. Raleigh is a very good area for disc golf. I'll take HH, Blockhouse and Loriella ftw though.

Charlotte has a greater density of high quality courses than Raleigh. I do really like a lot of the Triangle courses but the top ten courses in each city are probably:
Charlotte, in no particular order:
Renny Gold
Hornet's Nest
Nevin
Scrapyard
Eastway
Renny Pro Players
Elon (pick one)
Bradford
RL Smith
Robbins
Eight of these course are in Charlotte proper and that doesn't include tons of great courses (like anything in SC or anything old school), I'm sure I've offended many people by leaving off a favorite.
Raleigh's top 10:
Rock Ridge
Cedar Hills
UNC
Buckhorn
Middle Creek
Zebulon
Valley Springs
Apex Nature Park
Kentwood
Leigh Farm Park
Only two of these courses are actually in Raleigh.
Not much of a competition, in my opinion.
All that being said, I would live wherever makes the most sense for your job. Travel on the weekend for disc, don't spend all week traveling for your job.

Awesome to hear so many new courses coming to the Raleigh area. I live in Charlotte now and looking to move to Raleigh area and I was dreading leaving so many high quality courses here.

Awesome to hear so many new courses coming to the Raleigh area. I live in Charlotte now and looking to move to Raleigh area and I was dreading leaving so many high quality courses here.

You may have some withdrawal from leaving Charlotte but Raleigh has some nice courses.

it's not- what are the best courses in the raleigh area?

Wll you got Buckhorn & Valley Springs, those are good ones. Jones Park, Apex Nature Park, UNC, East Clayton Park, are all good as well. A little farther there's Rockness Monster, and Sasquatch, Tar River, Rock Ridge is not too far.

I live in Plaza Midwood (2 miles from Uptown Charlotte) and don't have a drive over 35 minutes to any of the Charlotte DGC courses (excluding rush hour/accidents/construction delays). Heck, all of the Gastonia courses and even the Rock Hill courses are within 35 minutes of Uptown Charlotte.

The Triangle has plenty of DG courses (more the enough to be a suitable place for a DG fiend to live) but Charlotte for sure has better golf.

Wll you got Buckhorn & Valley Springs, those are good ones. Jones Park, Apex Nature Park, UNC, East Clayton Park, are all good as well. A little farther there's Rockness Monster, and Sasquatch, Tar River, Rock Ridge is not too far.

Buckhorn is very good- far and away my favorite i have played in the area.

Charlotte has a greater density of high quality courses than Raleigh. I do really like a lot of the Triangle courses but the top ten courses in each city are probably:
Charlotte, in no particular order:
Renny Gold
Hornet's Nest
Nevin
Scrapyard
Eastway
Renny Pro Players
Elon (pick one)
Bradford
RL Smith
Robbins
Eight of these course are in Charlotte proper and that doesn't include tons of great courses (like anything in SC or anything old school), I'm sure I've offended many people by leaving off a favorite.
Raleigh's top 10:
Rock Ridge
Cedar Hills
UNC
Buckhorn
Middle Creek
Zebulon
Valley Springs
Apex Nature Park
Kentwood
Leigh Farm Park
Only two of these courses are actually in Raleigh.
Not much of a competition, in my opinion.
All that being said, I would live wherever makes the most sense for your job. Travel on the weekend for disc, don't spend all week traveling for your job.

If you are talking about 1 hour radius, you need to take Kentwood, Middle Creek and Cedar Hills (my home course) off the top 10 and Leigh Farms is barely playable. How about include Tar River (40min from Raleigh), Rockness, Sasquatch, Cedarrock (50min) (1 hour).Deep Creek Dreams (1 hour).
I am not saying the Triangle area has higher quality courses than Charlotte. Just that there are plenty of quality courses in the area and it is more central to the area you will be covering.

Buckhorn is very good- far and away my favorite i have played in the area.

Yeah I play there every Friday.

If you like Buckhorn, wait til you play Clayton. Have you played Rock Ridge? Top notch Houck course.