• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte vs. Raleigh

Awesome to hear so many new courses coming to the Raleigh area. I live in Charlotte now and looking to move to Raleigh area and I was dreading leaving so many high quality courses here.

I will be at the work days Dec 2&3 for the new Louisburg course, River Bend Park, that my buddy is designing.

Wll you got Buckhorn & Valley Springs, those are good ones. Jones Park, Apex Nature Park, UNC, East Clayton Park, are all good as well. A little farther there's Rockness Monster, and Sasquatch, Tar River, Rock Ridge is not too far.

They may be the best the Triangle has to offer, but would any of them be rated 3.5 or higher if they were transplanted to Charlotte, or if Renny, Ho's Nest, Scrapyard, Nevin, and Bradford were transplanted to the Triangle?

If you enjoy life outside of dg, Charlotte is a great city as well. Lots of music in bars, Spectrum Center and Amphitheater, close to the mountains, 3 hours to Charleston, Whitewater Center, good bars and breweries, young professionals and great networking opportunities, AAA Baseball stadium, NBA arena and NFL Team all downtown.

They may be the best the Triangle has to offer, but would any of them be rated 3.5 or higher if they were transplanted to Charlotte, or if Renny, Ho's Nest, Scrapyard, Nevin, and Bradford were transplanted to the Triangle?

I absolutely think Rock Ridge, UNC, Clayton, Buckhorn, Rockness, Tar River, Zebulon would be 3.5 or above anywhere.

Charlotte disc golf is better than Raleigh for number of courses and probably quality. That being said, There is a new 8000' course in Clayton (just 10 miles south of Raleigh) that just needs signs and tee pads to be complete. Another course opening in Morrisville soon. A new course slated for Raleigh (Marsh Creek). My buddy Dave (designer of Zebulon) is about to start on 2 new courses in Louisburg (35 miles from Raleigh). In addition, the Charlotte metro area is about the size of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area and when you add all those courses, we probably are getting close to Charlotte for number of courses.

Regarding your job, Raleigh is only an hour from VA and 3 from SC. Charlotte is 30 min from SC but closer to 4 to VA.

100 miles to VA from Charlotte. Just depends where you are going. 85 splits the state in half and easy to get to from Charlotte. I think you'll find you can play disc golf in both places. Charlotte's club is more defined with one club over the county and partners with bordering cities. Traditionally there has been greater in fighting splits in Raleigh. We have drama in Charlotte but generally stick together. Raleigh like other areas can be split by courses/regions, although I hear that is getting a little better.

100 miles to VA from Charlotte. Just depends where you are going. 85 splits the state in half and easy to get to from Charlotte. I think you'll find you can play disc golf in both places. Charlotte's club is more defined with one club over the county and partners with bordering cities. Traditionally there has been greater in fighting splits in Raleigh. We have drama in Charlotte but generally stick together. Raleigh like other areas can be split by courses/regions, although I hear that is getting a little better.

It does make a huge difference what part of VA you need to travel to. I can get to the VA border from my house in North Raleigh in about minutes. If I am going to Danville or South boston to play disc, then its 80 minutes.

I absolutely think Rock Ridge, UNC, Clayton, Buckhorn, Rockness, Tar River, Zebulon would be 3.5 or above anywhere.

Absolutely agree! The new Clayton course is an absolute BEAST! (in a good way). Raleigh has come a long way in the last few years with the addition of Jones Park, Apex, and Clayton. Charlotte is still ahead of course but we're gaining ground with more to come!

I lived in Raleigh 18 years and been in Charlotte over 20. Still have family in Raleigh. Both cities have good disc golf, so that shouldn't be your deciding factor. Try to live within 5 miles from a good course and the disc golf box will be checked. You have variety in either city.

-If you're driving in a MD-SC territory, you want to be in Raleigh. I keep my driving radius to about 300 miles, which gets me to Richmond from Charlotte. If you fly, Charlotte is much better since it's an American hub and you have direct flights almost everywhere domestically.

-If you travel, you'll still be able to play courses in both locations.

-Raleigh is 2 hours to the beach, 4 hours to the mountains
-Charlotte is 2 hours to the mountains, 4 hours to the beach (roughly)

-Standard of living is good in both places. It's funny to me when someone has a strong preference to one vs. the other.

-Pro sports in Charlotte, college sports in Raleigh. (But have pro hockey in Raleigh)

-In this decision, picking a good neighborhood/suburb in either region is more important than the which city.

I grew up and Charlotte and have now lived in the Triangle for 11 years. I agree with many of the comments so far about Charlotte having a greater density of quality courses. However, I think the Triangle has a great disc golf scene, plenty of good courses if you extend to all of the counties in the Triangle, and there are a TON of new courses coming online this year and in the next couple. Here are just a few of the new courses I've heard about:

East Clayton (30 minutes from Raleigh)
Marsh Creek (in Raleigh)
West Cary (right in the middle of the Triangle, in between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill)
Forest Ridge (this will likely end up being 2 championship courses on Falls Lake, just north of Raleigh)
Rolesville (I'm working on getting a DG course to this Raleigh suburb and it's in the town's strategic plan)

DG absolutely shouldn't be the deciding factor in your decision as I feel that Raleigh has terrific disc golf and it's only getting better. I work in state government, so I have that bias towards Raleigh. I would base it on your work travel. If you're in Virginia and Maryland more than most other states, I'd definitely go with Raleigh.

As far as things to do, both towns have a lot to offer. Charlotte is more of a pro sports town with the Panthers, Hornets, and Knights (AAA baseball). The Triangle is much more of a college sports area (UNC, Duke, State), but also has the Hurricanes and a few minor league baseball (Durham Bulls, Carolina Mudcats) and soccer teams and the like.

I grew up and Charlotte and have now lived in the Triangle for 11 years. I agree with many of the comments so far about Charlotte having a greater density of quality courses. However, I think the Triangle has a great disc golf scene, plenty of good courses if you extend to all of the counties in the Triangle, and there are a TON of new courses coming online this year and in the next couple. Here are just a few of the new courses I've heard about:

Marsh Creek (in Raleigh)
West Cary (right in the middle of the Triangle, in between Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill)
Forest Ridge (this will likely end up being 2 championship courses on Falls Lake, just north of Raleigh)
Rolesville (I'm working on getting a DG course to this Raleigh suburb and it's in the town's strategic plan)

DG absolutely shouldn't be the deciding factor in your decision as I feel that Raleigh has terrific disc golf and it's only getting better. I work in state government, so I have that bias towards Raleigh. I would base it on your work travel. If you're in Virginia and Maryland more than most other states, I'd definitely go with Raleigh.

As far as things to do, both towns have a lot to offer. Charlotte is more of a pro sports town with the Panthers, Hornets, and Knights (AAA baseball). The Triangle is much more of a college sports area (UNC, Duke, State), but also has the Hurricanes and a few minor league baseball (Durham Bulls, Carolina Mudcats) and soccer teams and the like.

Great update. The West Cary course is going to be right by my work in RTP so I'm super excited about this one (9 holes at lunch!). I heard about this one getting approved but haven't heard any updates in months. Do you know when this one is going in? Any news at all? Thanks!

Marsh Creek (in Raleigh)

Dave Mansfield, who designed Zebulon and Wendell is designing River Bend park in Louisburg and there is a chance he will do another on an old ball golf course Bull Run or something like that. River Bend is moving now. Work days Dec 2&3.

If you are talking about 1 hour radius, you need to take Kentwood, Middle Creek and Cedar Hills (my home course) off the top 10 and Leigh Farms is barely playable. How about include Tar River (40min from Raleigh), Rockness, Sasquatch, Cedarrock (50min) (1 hour).Deep Creek Dreams (1 hour).
I am not saying the Triangle area has higher quality courses than Charlotte. Just that there are plenty of quality courses in the area and it is more central to the area you will be covering.

I'm talking about a 1/2 hour radius. I live basically a half hour drive or less from all of those courses. I would have had a hard time coming up with a good half hour radius list for Raleigh.
But, yes, I agree, those are some great courses to have about an hour away. That list compares favorably to courses about an hour from Charlotte: Fox Chase, Winthrop, Chester St. Park, Camp Canaan, Bracket's Bluff, All Terrain, Goat Island, etc.
Three years ago, I was also trying to decide between moving to Raleigh or Charlotte. Disc golf was not the driving decision for me. I also travel extensively for work and I spend more time in SC than I do in VA. That made the decision to pick Charlotte much easier but living in Raleigh would have been great too. I still spend several weeks/year in Raleigh and like the city and the disc golf quite a bit.

Charlotte's main claim to fame, discgolfwise, is the quantity of quality.

But a question to ask is, does it make a big difference to you whether there are 5 or 10 fine courses to play on a regular basis---or 30?

Different people will have a different answer. But if you're the kind of person who mainly plays a half-dozen courses, and occasionally travels to play others, Charlotte is a bit of overkill.

Charlotte's main claim to fame, discgolfwise, is the quantity of quality.

But a question to ask is, does it make a big difference to you whether there are 5 or 10 fine courses to play on a regular basis---or 30?

Different people will have a different answer. But if you're the kind of person who mainly plays a half-dozen courses, and occasionally travels to play others, Charlotte is a bit of overkill.

If I had 30 fine courses around me, I would have a 30 course circuit. Since I have about 12 (including private ones), i do a 12 course circuit then travel when i get burned out on my 12.

If I had 30 fine courses around me, I would have a 30 course circuit. Since I have about 12 (including private ones), i do a 12 course circuit then travel when i get burned out on my 12.

I don't get burned out on my 50+ I can hit within an hour of me

The Triangle area is a much better place to live than Charlotte if you look at any statistic other than disc golf.

The burbs of Raleigh are consistently ranked as the best places to live in the country. That's why all these *******s keep moving here making traffic worst.

So move to Charlotte we're full.

The Triangle area is a much better place to live than Charlotte if you look at any statistic other than disc golf.

The burbs of Raleigh are consistently ranked as the best places to live in the country. That's why all these *******s keep moving here making traffic worst.

So move to Charlotte we're full.

On your ranking comment, I saw a quote years ago that Raleigh is the "Best bet to make a best list." Places to raise a family, park space/greenways, universities, educated populations, jobs, or even best places for a veteran to buy a home ....google a list and it's all there: https://www.raleighnc.gov/home/content/PubAffairs/Articles/AccoladesRaleigh.html

That said, I disagree that its a "much better place to live." They both rank really well. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article181870911.html

I'm not sure that deciding on a locale primarily for disc golf is the best idea, unless you are retiring, but with the holidays coming up why not test 'the pudding' with a couple of day trips to compare for yourself? I'm certain you'll find many disc golfers ready to sell you on either option - but in person...

For those not familiar, this thread is interesting in the context of NC in general. There has always been a tremendous rivalry between Charlotte and Raleigh. They are the 2 main metropolitan areas of NC and each offers things the other lacks, with Charlotte roughly being the economic engine that drives the state's growth while Raleigh is the center of government and education...

In past disc golf parlance, this rivalry was also evident: Raleigh had the organization and players, while Charlotte had the facilities...

FWIW

Last edited:
I'm not sure that deciding on a locale primarily for disc golf is the best idea, unless you are retiring, but with the holidays coming up why not test 'the pudding' with a couple of day trips to compare for yourself? I'm certain you'll find many disc golfers ready to sell you on either option - but in person...

For those not familiar, this thread is interesting in the context of NC in general. There has always been a tremendous rivalry between Charlotte and Raleigh. They are the 2 main metropolitan areas of NC and each offers things the other lacks, with Charlotte roughly being the economic engine that drives the state's growth while Raleigh is the center of government and education...

In past disc golf parlance, this rivalry was also evident: Raleigh had the organization and players, while Charlotte had the facilities...

FWIW

Living in Raleigh the last 20 years, I have not heard about this city rivalry of which you speak. I also have to disagree with your contention that Charlotte is the economic engine driving the state. Did you forget about RTP? Research Triangle Park, the largest research park in the country and one of the oldest and largest in the world with 250 companies on 7,000 acres and 50,000 employees is actually a big economic driver in the state.

As for places to live, Charlotte and Raleigh strike me as such different places that one, or the other, will be best for a given individual.

But I think the question is mainly about disc golf. It doesn't mean that the O.P. is making his decision based on disc golf. But if he's deciding between the two based on multiple factors, he can find the answers to some of them elsewhere.....this is a good resource to ask about one factor: disc golf.