• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chasing 330' - Developing a form

Spent three hours today doing field work trying not to topple over, but every single time I do the exact same thing. I've been trying to do the door frame drills and it motivates me to reach back slightly further to get my ass towards the target. In the previous video I feel I'm slightly more upright in my reach back. What should I build from?

I'm also trying out the pump. I am more prone to swooping though.

1. Setup in a slightly wider stance and compact your weightshift tighter, just a couple inches.

2. Make sure your rear foot doesn't move or rear knee go behind ankle in backswing. You step rear foot forward and twist your rear foot out, and rear knee goes back past ankle, so you have lost a ton of leverage/torque by rear foot moving.

3. You are also doing a little squat and rise in the backswing. Just turn back and then drop going into transition forward.

4. Note in last pic how your head is up, because you rear foot twisted back and pushing off your heel with knee extension. Need to drive off the instep/ball of foot driving heel up/forward and knee into flexion.

5. You also land flat footed on front foot and turned too far back(probably because rear foot twists back), instead of landing toes first and then heel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.10.50 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.10.50 PM copy.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 71
Just out of curiosity do you have someone filming you? I really need to video myself but can't figure out a good way to do it myself with just my phone

Just out of curiosity do you have someone filming you? I really need to video myself but can't figure out a good way to do it myself with just my phone
Best option is a $30 tripod with phone adaptor.

Cheapest option is to just rest your phone against something - preferable up off the ground. I've used my bag and discs to prop the phone.

All by myself. Simple tripod and any camera will do. No need to bore friends with me doing just one more throw in case I get it right :)

2. Make sure your rear foot doesn't move or rear knee go behind ankle in backswing. You step rear foot forward and twist your rear foot out, and rear knee goes back past ankle, so you have lost a ton of leverage/torque by rear foot moving

Just reviewed the other videos from my session. I do this on every single throw.

Got to do another field session today. Main focus was to keep the rear foot grounded during the backswing and using a wider stance. Got a pretty consistent 270' - 280' on my understable fairways. Midranges not far behind. Had some issues with swooping and nose up today. Still planting flat footed. Also seem to be collapsing over my front knee quite a bit?

I was also throwing a lot of hyzers when trying to throw flat. Got a video from behind. Trying to "sit down" and squeeze knees as HUB mentions in his one step drill and other videos but seem to be failing.

I feel keeping the backfoot grounded helped me a lot with striding more towards target and not out to the left.

Haven't had a chance to properly go through all the drills from your last post SW, but I'll try to get it done this weekend.

Tried to mimic your graphic (which was excellent). Hoping it's an improvement.

Attachments

• formscreenshot.jpg
    formscreenshot.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 9
You are basically just swinging your arm by itself. Need to move/swing your shoulder like it's heavy, and want to battering ram a door down with it.

Need to shift to and post up on the front leg, rather than sit into it. Sit/coil into rear leg striding, not front leg planting.

You are basically just swinging your arm by itself. Need to move/swing your shoulder like it's heavy, and want to battering ram a door down with it.

Need to shift to and post up on the front leg, rather than sit into it. Sit/coil into rear leg striding, not front leg planting.

Thanks. I'll go through the drills and hopefully get more of a feel for it. I do tense up a bit trying to correct things on the field.

Good mental image on swinging the shoulder. Am I allowed to actively "whip" it forward using core muscles or should it happen naturally as I brace?

Thanks. I'll go through the drills and hopefully get more of a feel for it. I do tense up a bit trying to correct things on the field.

Good mental image on swinging the shoulder. Am I allowed to actively "whip" it forward using core muscles or should it happen naturally as I brace?
Use your shoulder like a battering ram into a door.

i feel like a cause of not feeling the heavydisc is where your arm is going in the backswing/reachout. I did the same thing and when i finally forced myself to make my arm wider, BAM. heavydisc (now it could also had been a combination of other things, but for certain one of the issues was i was not reaching away from my body enough)

image below shows where you should try placing your arm (the red line). if you put your arm there you might get a new feeling if other things work as well. now we do see pros put their arms like you do and i believe we can do that eventually. but starting out we need to achieve a feeling so then when we make these movements we know if what we are doing is good or not

https://imgur.com/8RJlVOQ

i would put a disc on the ground which would help remind me where i needed to reachout too. it did take a solid 2 days to get used to the new arm location , but finally, i got that heavydisc

i would put a disc on the ground which would help remind me where i needed to reachout too. it did take a solid 2 days to get used to the new arm location , but finally, i got that heavydisc

Good tip, I'll try placing down markers.

Looking better, but yeah, your arm/disc are getting sucked in behind your body. You want your elbow going forward in transition, not toward right tee side behind shoulder/body. Disc can then swing into the power pocket behind the elbow/shoulder.

So I had to run out and give it another try focusing on wide rail and elbow forward.

AND I FINALLY FELT IT!

3 throws in a row where my putters floated forever with no effort. I was walking on clouds retrieving the discs feeling a bit stupid how simple it is. LEVERS!

Of course I immediately lost it for the rest of the session...

Going to work the lunchbox drill and keep at it.

Looking through the footage from the wide rail I'm still very retracted on my left side. I'll do a couple of more sessions before I post a new video for review. I was getting over 250 feet quite consistently with my putters today which is an improvement.

One thing I keep flip flopping back and forth is grip. I have small hands and I find it hard to compare my grip with the pros. What does "Grip it like a hammer" really mean? If I throw a hammer, the more natural way would be with ulnar deviation in the direction I'm throwing. Like slowplastics video: https://vimeo.com/295082062

Angling my hand over the disc and wrapping my fingers gives me a comfortable grip on every disc in my bag. But I do feel it weakens my pivot point.

Grip the tool you are using and let your body respond to release the lever or tool with the right intention. Everyone will have a slightly different grip with different hands.

Crushed my old phone and had to get a new one. 240 fps this time.

Haven't been getting out as much as I'd like lately, but I've been working on reaching back wider and trying not to collapse my upper arm... Elbow still seems to be driving a bit to the right rather than forward...no?

I'm finally hitting a few 330's with my fairways though.

Latest posts