• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap Tee Signs

Gblambert

Birdie Member
I'm building a couple of disc golf courses and when complete I'll need around 45 or so tee signs. I checked out the cost to have 45 professionally made aluminum signs with custom graphics and quickly found out how expensive they are.

As an alternative I did the graphics myself with Excel (see attached) and can print a copy of the sign and laminate it for about $1. Add a piece of plexiglass and the cost is still less than $5. Both the sign and plexiglass can be easily replaced by me if one is vandalized or stolen.

Has anyone else made cheap tee signs like this? If so, is it a good long term solution or would I be better off springing for professionally made signs?

I feel cheap and replaceable is a valid strategy. Maybe a super smart strategy.

If you go this route, and really find it that inexpensive, then make a second set of prints at the get go, and have them on stand by. What's an extra twenty bucks, compared to all the time in art creation.

Outsourcing design costs, not because of the materials, it's the time and effort you are buying. Delegation is a luxury, for those who have the means, or those who have more valuable things to do.

If your signs ever get vandalized, faded, or the sign needs any sort of updating, you'll be thanking yourself for not shelling out for deluxe ones.

Just expect to do replacements every couple of years or sooner. UV light can really do damage on certain ink colors.

Why/How are you using Excel to do graphics???

I started with Corel PaintShop Pro but it took a really long time to finish a sign and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Then I remembered how well Excel does graphics so I switched programs and made the tee sign shown in the op with Excel. It only took a couple of hours to complete and it looks a lot better than the original PSP version. It's not as nice as those made by graphic design artists but I think it's passable.

Make sure you use a clear silicon caulk on every screw hole/staple otherwise water WILL get in and fade the ink very fast.

I think those look great (I would change the Tee markers to Rectangles, instead of Circles) you have done a very good job on those.

I would not think twice about using them, just like you are describing.
Because they will get damaged, inexpensive replacement is a good way to go.

I am considering this option at my local course too. Where are you getting the graphics?

I think those look great (I would change the Tee markers to Rectangles, instead of Circles) you have done a very good job on those.

I would not think twice about using them, just like you are describing.
Because they will get damaged, inexpensive replacement is a good way to go.
Thanks, Matt. The round tees do look unusual on a tee sign, but the tee pads will actually be circular instead of rectangles. They make it easier to hit different lines off the tee and are great for safari rounds.

Thanks, Matt. The round tees do look unusual on a tee sign, but the tee pads will actually be circular instead of rectangles. They make it easier to hit different lines off the tee and are great for safari rounds.

I'm sorry for assuming, if the Teepads are circular, your signs are perfect.
Again, nice work, I like them alot.

I am considering this option at my local course too. Where are you getting the graphics?
I took the distances for the landmarks on the hole using a measuring wheel, then made the map using Excel. Everything on the map is made with standard Excel objects, textures and fonts.

Interesting, I will have to look into it because those look like what I had envisioned but thought I would have to go to a Landscape architect or graphics place to produce those images. I think those look very professional and even just laminated would be better than most signs I see.

I started with Corel PaintShop Pro but it took a really long time to finish a sign and I wasn't happy with the way it looked. Then I remembered how well Excel does graphics so I switched programs and made the tee sign shown in the op with Excel. It only took a couple of hours to complete and it looks a lot better than the original PSP version. It's not as nice as those made by graphic design artists but I think it's passable.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing, using plexi glass etc, but I had no idea you could use Excel. Please elaborate a little more if you don't mind - I think your sign looks awesome. Where do you start with Excel? I had tried the same thing using publisher and was not happy with the results at all.

If you don't have a high quality laser color printer I would have the images done at a fedex or USPS type office (some drug stores also offer printing). Inkjet prints will smear and fade MUCH faster than laser prints which don't smear at all when wet either..

If you don't have a high quality laser color printer I would have the images done at a fedex or USPS type office (some drug stores also offer printing). Inkjet prints will smear and fade MUCH faster than laser prints which don't smear at all when wet either..
I didn't know that, but good tip. I think the resolution might look better too with a laser printer than with my cheap inkjet printer.

Nice looking sign. Your plan (ie: print yourself, laminate and plexi) is pretty much exactly what we did. Works well, but I'll echo another comment and say go ahead and print two now. They will fade and they will get damaged. But the $2-$3 it cost you is easier to swallow than what a professional sign would cost.

Also- I love round tees. Concrete? Size?

I didn't know that, but good tip. I think the resolution might look better too with a laser printer than with my cheap inkjet printer.

if the signs are a full page as well then you would use a ton of ink with the inkjet and cost savings for printing your self IMO would be a wash unless you make your own ink lol.

I used Sketchbook for the graphics, and am having them printed on corrugated plastic sign material.

another option

Great looking design. Another option is to laser print the signs on waterproof paper which is more like plastic than paper, it's durable stuff, but probably more expensive than laminated paper. Here it is on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Paper-Laser-Printer-Sheets/dp/B008SGOL7Q

Also, I have seen signs with plexiglass facings and they start to look really bad with time. Moisture gets behind the plexiglass causing fogging and mold. I think you would be better off just stapling the signs to a wood backing, but maybe there is a way to do the plexiglass right.