• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago, IL via train or the L to closest course

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
Which course is easiest to get to from the Navy Pier area. Planning to take a train to the closest course from which I can walk from the station to the course within a few minutes. Please note any safety issues during the walk to the course and back from the station and time from Navy Pier area. Thank you

Chicago area has 2 main rail systems: the El and Metra. The El primarily is mostly confined to the city limits but reaches a few neighboring suburbs. Metra gets you from the city center to the near and outlying suburbs. The El runs more frequently and the closest station to Navy Pier is a shorter walk. I don't know of any decent courses that you could get to riding the El though. IIT used to work, but I believe that only part of the course still exists.

Riding Metra to a station near a course will take more time as the trains are generally spaced out more. The Brookfield course is right across the street from a Metra station, but that course is a real sack of crap.

How much time will you have? Most decent courses will be a good hike from the closest Metra station. Your best bet might be to find a local golfer willing to pick you up at a station and drive you to/from the course.

Get a Metra map and schedule (available online), then go to the courses section of this website, click on map, click on Chicago, look for courses near the tracks while referencing your Metra map, click on course names, read the reviews, decide which is the best, go disc golfing.

If you're planning on taking the Metra, the 8th tee at Margreth Riemer in Palatine is right by the Palatine Metra Station. But you'd need to get to the loop from Navy Pier, and then hop on a Metra at Ogilve Station. Would probably be a pretty time consuming trip, as the train ride from the loop to Palatine is about an hour.

I think IIT or North Shore Channel are the best options from Navy Pier, but both courses aren't anywhere close to decent.

If you have time Friday afternoon/evening, shoot me a PM...we might be able to work something out. My office is close enough to Navy Pier and my home course is a nice one.

Geneva, IL, Wheeler Park, 1.5 miles beautiful walk from Metra, Third Street retail and cafes on your walk, Penrose Brewery .4 miles from The Links at Wheeler Park, a pretty 18-hole course that is well-groomed and safe. My DGCR of Wheeler Park has more travel info. Have fun!