• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Chicago to Highbridge

Winter Park and Silver Creek in NE WI right on Lake Michigan

Standing Rocks, Yulga, and Big Eau Pleine in Central WI

Token Creek, Heistand, and Elver in Madison WI (this segment is solid, but not as great as the others)

Justin Trails Classic and Big Brother in Sparta WI

Tower Ridge I and II in Eau Claire WI

Sandy Point in Lac du Flambeau (near Highbridge)

HIGHBRIDGE!

These are the must plays that you will not regret playing or going out of your way to play! As everyone has eluded to, there are many many others near all of these as well. Use the site and do some research, your trip will turn out just fine if youhit these up and research some others in the areas as fillers.

Thanks for all the great recommendations, I'm headed to a wedding, then we're off for the week. As it stands, we've got 30 courses planned between tomorrow and Friday, with the possibility of some more if we get ahead of schedule. Thanks for all the recommendations, we're not going to get to eastern Wisconsin on this trip, so we won't hit all of them, but a lot of the ones from this thread are on our list. I'll post again after the trip.

I'm from the fox cities, and I would suggest hitting up Plamann in Appleton, Grignon in Kaukauna, Silver Creek in Manitowac, Standing Rocks and Yulga in Stevens Point if you're in that area. They are all within 1.25 hours of where I live in Neenah.

I will be up at Winter Park in Kewaunee on June 14th, Madison for disc golfing sometime the same week, and up camping at Highbridge Hills SC June 18-20.

So here's my report on the trip, we had an absolutely fantastic time despite some rainy weather.

On Saturday and Sunday we visited a cousin of mine in Wisconsin Rapids, but we got out a little on Sunday while they were running some errands.
North Park of Wood County - fun little flat course with dual tees, we showed up right during the lunch break of a tournament so we had to hurry a little to get through all 20 holes in 45 minutes
Alexander Middle School - pretty ho hum school course, nothing special here
South Park of Wood County - Enjoyable 12 holer with some elevation and nice views of the lake, a little short but fun

Monday we headed up toward Highbridge, we got a late start so we only got through 4 courses:
Standing Rocks - Lots of fun shorter wooded holes with great elevation, but some major navigation issues
Yulga - Very flat, but great variety and extremely well designed set of 3 tees per hole
Big Eau Pleine - Great wooded holes and some boring prairie holes with three sets of tees that change up the course a lot
Sandy Point - Awesome course, beautifully maintained in hilly woods, one of our favorites on the trip with a great little pro shop

Monday night we found an awesome little campground a few miles west of Sandy Point on a little lake we had all to ourselves other than the foot long snapping turtle wandering around the campsite. Tuesday we drove the rest of the way to Highbridge, but it was pouring down rain, so we played a few of the courses there and took breaks to dry out in the bunkhouse where we spent the night.

Woodland Greens - Great short wooded course that makes excellent use of the terrain to keep shorter holes challenging, some fun pin placements
The Bear - Long and tough through tight woods, if the rest of the course is like the 7 holes that are complete this will be a great put punishing course
Chestnut Grove - Nothing too special here, but great for a quick round in the campground or some glow rounds with the solar lights on the baskets

Wednesday we woke up to a beautiful sunny day, and played the rest of Highbridge, it's just a magical place up there with so much disc golf in a beautiful secluded setting. From there we headed south and west.

Highbridge Gold - Tough course with a fun mix of wooded and open holes, the long holes don't feel like just chick it kind of holes
Granite Ridge - Mostly open with great elevation, wind comes into play a lot on this one
Blueberry Hill - The gem of highbridge, with a little of everything, every hole is different and makes you thin about your shots
Telemark - Awesome ski course once you get past the first few holes and the mowing issues, some really fun huge elevation holes
Fiddler's Creek - Nothing too special, plays around a driving range with mostly flat, straight holes and thick rough, the layout is pretty weird with two options of 5 hole loops in the middle (we had to do some backtracking to be able to play all 23 holes)

Thursday it was nice in the morning, but rained in the afternoon, so we stuck around the Menomonie area and played a few extra courses there, and got a motel room to be out of the rain.

UW-BC Campus Greens - Pretty boring, long, and open other than a couple nice holes on the back nine
Axldog Acres DGC - Great private course with some wonderfully designed holes but some maintenance issues (his mower was broken)
Lambs Creek @ Pioneer Grill - Fun 9er behind the bar with elevation, woods, water hazards and a lit putting course
Brickyard - Two tees and two baskets on every hole, great terrain, a bit overgrown
SDGC Practice Course - Cool thing to have on the campus, not really much of a course though
Menomonie Middle School - One of the best school courses we've played, too bad the 18 had to be cut down to 12
Wakanda Park - Really fun park course with some variety, could use signage

We headed further south on Friday, and had a nice day weather-wise so we spent a little extra driving time and dipped into Minnesota to get our 21st state played, and found a nice place to camp near LaCrosse.

Tower Ridge Park - I - Lots of elevation and beautiful woods, signage is lacking
Tower Ridge Park - II - Flat and a little less variety than the other course here, but more length
Wildapple Disc Golf - Unique course, with tons of tees and targets all over the property, the course owner showed us around the main 18 hole layout, lots of great elevation and some fun ace runs, some maintenance issues but he's working on it and wouldn't let us pay to play because he wasn't happy with the course
St. Mary's College DGC - Great college course, fun ace runs in the woods with thick rough and some open elevation shots
The Willows - Nothing too special, mostly open shots in a city park with a couple water holes

Saturday we played our way over to Madison, played a few courses there, and headed back home to Chicago.

Pettibone Park - Front 9 is open and longer, back 9 is shorter and wooded, fun course
Justin Trails Classic DGC - Lots of open shots with a few in the woods, some prairie rough
Justin Trails Big Brother DGC - More elevation, and more wooded shots, much more fun than the other course here
Baraboo Lions DGC - Awesome course for a putter or superclass round, short holes in the woods with good variety of hole shapes
Vallarta-Ast DGC - Fun course with dual tees and three pin placements per hole, not quite what I expected for $7 a person
Hiestand Park - Nice wooded course with some elevation, a little crowded, hit an ace here on 7
Elver Park - Plays on top of a hill in the woods with some nice elevation going up in the beginning of the course and a nice downhill bomb to finish

All in all it was a great trip with some very fun courses, 34 courses and 576 holes in total.

very cool! thanks for the report. gotta admit I'm a little jealous!

a must stop IMHO is the Sandy Point Resort Disc Golf Ranch in Lac Du Flambeau.

They have a full pro shop for that disc you've been wanting to buy (great selection), Friendly staff.

They have a top notch "10" disc golf course that has a broom at every tee, 2 t's per hole. very challenging layout and not to far from highbridge.

I didn't want to leave this Disc Golf heaven and you'll have the same feeling if you play it.

a must stop IMHO is the Sandy Point Resort Disc Golf Ranch in Lac Du Flambeau.

They have a full pro shop for that disc you've been wanting to buy (great selection), Friendly staff.

They have a top notch "10" disc golf course that has a broom at every tee, 2 t's per hole. very challenging layout and not to far from highbridge.

I didn't want to leave this Disc Golf heaven and you'll have the same feeling if you play it.

We loved Sandy Point, it was one of our favorites on the whole trip, and the guys at the pro shop were extremely helpful. We showed up quite a bit after closing, but they were around and opened up the shop, and while we were browsing one of them walked me through the course map and circled all of the current pin positions and drew in some new ones and new tee options and where the paths were to get to them.

We loved Sandy Point, it was one of our favorites on the whole trip, and the guys at the pro shop were extremely helpful. We showed up quite a bit after closing, but they were around and opened up the shop, and while we were browsing one of them walked me through the course map and circled all of the current pin positions and drew in some new ones and new tee options and where the paths were to get to them.

Been enjoying your reviews from the trip, mash! Must've been one helluva journey!

Sorry you missed us at Winter Park (and Silver Creek).

- waiting to read the review about Big Brother because I haven't made that trek yet. I want to get to the west half of the state and hit up a bunch of new ones over there.

Yeah, I am already planning my trip to hit the northeast part of the state, you have some courses that look like a lot of fun up there, it just didn't work out on this trip. Big Brother was a lot of fun with some great elevation and wooded holes, though there were a handful of holes where the only real obstacle was tall prairie grass, and that's never my favorite.

Damn, Mashnut. You are truly a DG trooper!!! :thmbup:

That is a lot of disc golf.

Jukeshoe: <----almost speechless.

Looks like quite a bit of DG fun was had. I'm heading up to High Bridge in about 3 weeks to do some camping and of course play as many of the HB courses we can.

Latest posts