• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cinco de Flop at Giles Run

I'm going to back up KniceZ on this one. I was at the Sherando Spartan the day after the Cinco tourney and a lot of players that were there the day before were not happy on how slow the play was and how long it all took.

did you play at Giles?

the first and second rounds at both venues started
almost at the exact same times 9:30 and 2-2:30
no lunch was provided at either tourney.

Research - When considering your next tournament, call the TD and ask about layout - what course will be played by which divisions, how long are rounds?

:thmbup:good advice, i always do this if going to play an unfamiliar course with multiple pads / pins, it has never prevented me from playing but it has always helped me to establish the proper expectation before getting to the tourney

I believe the DGCR Mid-Atlantic Meet at Hawk Hollow last year spoiled him on tournaments.

KniceZ made some kick-butt waffles for us that saturday morning :)

But these two events shouldn't be compared. The Mid-Atlantic Meet is basically casual play with benefits. ;)

Some TD's are known for running tournaments that are very am-friendly. Some are equally well known for just the opposite. Although I have been playing disc golf for a very long time, I am an amateur and have no plans to change that. I avoid tournaments that I expect will be less than am-friendly, which is why I (and many others I know) skipped the Giles Cinco de Mayo altogether.

Some TD's are known for running tournaments that are very am-friendly. Some are equally well known for just the opposite. Although I have been playing disc golf for a very long time, I am an amateur and have no plans to change that. I avoid tournaments that I expect will be less than am-friendly, which is why I (and many others I know) skipped the Giles Cinco de Mayo altogether.

As TD of all the NoVa Disc Golf Tournaments. I run very AM-friendly tournaments - The AM event value at the Cinco was 167% !
I challenge you to find anything better.

I can fully understand if you skipped the Cinco because the Giles is
intimidating - But if you are looking for AM friendly tornament you missed a good one.

sidenote: I'm really holding back with the verbage on this thread - I actually find the arrogance of recreational players that feel entitled to the moon at PDGA sanctioned events to be imbecils. and as it was said earlier - Yeah, you might as well go buy beer and play somewhere else with your friends... Because we all know that's doing wonders for the image of disc golf.

Roger - next time you have an issue with one of my tournaments, why don't you come talk to me and we can resolve the issue instead of lambasting a tournament I worked my ass off on and you didnt even finsh to a Nation-wide Message Board

I was asked why I didn't play Cinco...

I knew better from all the info I got Giles is not a friendly course for Rec division with the monster brier bushes and OB on every hole. I was told to expect to lose a few discs. There was no way my first round at this course was going to be in a tourney.

I decided to pass and go to the Sherando event instead.

Everyone I talked that went to the Cinco event liked the event but they all had the same comment of it seemed to take forever to play. Not that it was anyone's fault. Me personally I like to play slow. But most players hate sitting on a tee waiting for the hole to clear.

The second round at the Spartan I was in the last group behind the top open card. They played slow but I didn't mind at all because I got to watch then play.

giles always takes forever to play. if you wont play giles because its hard and you could lose discs and it takes a long time, then dont play giles. your loss.

The AM event value at the Cinco was 167%

What do mean by "event value"?

I actually find the arrogance of recreational players that feel entitled to the moon at PDGA sanctioned events to be imbecils.

Sorry you took my comments as imbecilic and arrogant. I thought most of my comments were not harshly worded or demanding. In fact if you go back and read all my comment i repeatedly complimented and recognized the hard work that obviously went into hosting the event.

Roger - next time you have an issue with one of my tournaments, why don't you come talk to me and we can resolve the issue instead of lambasting a tournament I worked my ass off on and you didnt even finsh to a Nation-wide Message Board

I would have made my comments directly if there was someone at the table when I finished the first round. But I made the decision to play a quick solo round (to get a second opinion of Giles) rather than getting some lunch and I didn't quit get finished before the second round started. I have only done two other sanctioned events (Hawk Hallow and Loriella Challenge) and wanted to post on here to get feedback on the norm.

Finally I'll apologize if you have taken personal offense - I intended this to be an opportunity to provide feedback from a NOOB perspective, not to lambast or attack you.

Well you thought wrong!

Read the title you choose to enlighten the world on a national forum of your "NOOB" experience. Every point you complained about was in error, except the fact that there was a backup on the holes and that was a factor of the Int. div playing a much shorter layout. Had the MA2 division played the L2L layout we may still be waiting for your card.

If there is a silver lining out of all this it's the attention of that backup. It is a serious issue and I think we will be able to design around that for future tournaments at Giles by having separate AM and Pro days. It's unfortunate, as a TD I would like to include Pros and Am in one general tournament but if a course has a wide separation of skill level like Giles it only lead to problems (like this one). Live and Learn

As TD of all the NoVa Disc Golf Tournaments. I run very AM-friendly tournaments - The AM event value at the Cinco was 167% !
I challenge you to find anything better.

I can fully understand if you skipped the Cinco because the Giles is
intimidating - But if you are looking for AM friendly tornament you missed a good one.

sidenote: I'm really holding back with the verbage on this thread - I actually find the arrogance of recreational players that feel entitled to the moon at PDGA sanctioned events to be imbecils. and as it was said earlier - Yeah, you might as well go buy beer and play somewhere else with your friends... Because we all know that's doing wonders for the image of disc golf.

I started playing about 6 months ago and have been lurking on here for a while. this statement has put a really sour taste in my mouth about the whole tournament experience and what Tournament leaders are really thinking. you say "recreational" like its a bad thing. some of us are new but that doesnt mean we are imbecils because we want some value for our money. think before u alienate a large population of the sport, especially if you want us to keep coming to your tournaments.

I started playing about 6 months ago and have been lurking on here for a while. this statement has put a really sour taste in my mouth about the whole tournament experience and what Tournament leaders are really thinking. you say "recreational" like its a bad thing. some of us are new but that doesnt mean we are imbecils because we want some value for our money. think before u alienate a large population of the sport, especially if you want us to keep coming to your tournaments.

I think you might have taken the term "recreational" wrong.

Recreational players do not volunteer to help out but are most times the first to complain.

At least that's how I took it.

It sounded pretty condescending to me. I think we expect a great experience because we are basically paying for that. even if we do well we just win marked up discs anyways. so while paying to play a course that I can normally just play, yes, I do expect some value, other than 4.5 hr rds.

It sounded pretty condescending to me. I think we expect a great experience because we are basically paying for that. even if we do well we just win marked up discs anyways. so while paying to play a course that I can normally just play, yes, I do expect some value, other than 4.5 hr rds.

I can understand it could have sounded that way.
Please understand, the weekend of a tournament the TD has all kinds of things going on that he/she needs to stay on top of. They have been spending all their spare time working for this weekend while at the same time taking care of family and job.
They are not really in the mood for any complaints, I've been there myself.

Just look at it from their point of view, please. They're volunteers.

I get it. I know its work. I just think as a Tournament leader one should set an example of tact and couth. If I were a business owner, the last thing i would do is call my customer an arrogant imbecile. and definitely not in a public forum where others who may have been thinking about buying from me are reading to see what my product is all about. It is never ok to berate your customer base. no matter how dumb their statements may be.

I get it. I know its work. I just think as a Tournament leader one should set an example of tact and couth. If I were a business owner, the last thing i would do is call my customer an arrogant imbecile. and definitely not in a public forum where others who may have been thinking about buying from me are reading to see what my product is all about. It is never ok to berate your customer base. no matter how dumb their statements may be.

I agree completely. But a volunteer has no "customers".
Besides, you should hear the tone of these whiners at the tournament. They feel quite entitled most times.

Don't get me wrong, valid problems need to be addressed but it would be best if the complainers used better tact and tone.

Keep in mind that many people don't even bother to complain, knowing the vitriol and condescending attitude that will be directed at them for daring to have an opinion which differs from that of the TD (or at least some TD's, certainly not all of them by any stretch). The Cinco de Mayo at Giles event didn't draw very well, despite the obviously large amount of course prep and other work that went into preparing for it. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the "complainers" not only have some valid points but that there are plenty of others who agree with them and simply avoid tournaments run by people who view them as "imbecils" (the irony of his misspelling of this word is so delicious).

My personal opinion is that douchebags are much worse for the sport of disc golf than the so-called "imbecil" recreational players. I may be an amateur, but I definitely am not a noob!

^Come on now Tom is definitly not a Douchebag. He does try to promote the sport. He even got an award last year at the challenge for promoting the sport. Tom's a nice guy and for you to start name calling what are you a grade school student.

Last edited:

Latest posts