• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cinco de Flop at Giles Run

Thanks Austin!

not all AMs (and pros) are imbeciles just the entitled few who rant and rave about what they feel they deserve for what is, in comparison to other activities, a pitance. I have no problem with them staying away from tournaments ... and for the record I didn't sling the first mudpie on this "public forum".

Giles doesnt draw well because people are terrified to play the course (thorns, lost discs, ticks).
IMO Giles is one of the toughest championship level venues in the Mid Atlantic region. It is rough because it's only existed for 3-4 years - Each year the course gets tamed a little bit more.
This year the course is in the best shape it has ever been. Within the next 5 years, if the course still exists, Giles should be able to break into the majors.

Thanks Austin!

not all AMs (and pros) are imbeciles just the entitled few who rant and rave about what they feel they deserve for what is, in comparison to other activities, a pitance. I have no problem with them staying away from tournaments ... and for the record I didn't sling the first mudpie on this "public forum".

if you dont think we are all imbeciles then why label recreational players that way. you chose the words that you typed. the bolded text is further evidence that you do not care for those of us who are not in the top tier. as for not slinging the first mudpie...... I dont think anyone should have brought this here. but...I expect a little more patience out of someone who is running events and looked up to.

if you dont think we are all imbeciles then why label recreational players that way. you chose the words that you typed. the bolded text is further evidence that you do not care for those of us who are not in the top tier. as for not slinging the first mudpie...... I dont think anyone should have brought this here. but...I expect a little more patience out of someone who is running events and looked up to.

He didn't label all rec players as imbeciles. He said people that complain when unreasonably lofty expectations are not met are imbeciles. The fact is, those that have unreasonable expectations are the recreational players that aren't familiar with tournament play.

I'm sure he welcomes all breeds of players at his tournaments, but also is not offended if someone chooses not to play because they don't think the experience provides enough value.

Well you thought wrong!

Read the title you choose to enlighten the world on a national forum of your "NOOB" experience

This sort of attitude is what bothered me. I dont care who said what first. he is new to the tournament experience and felt shafted. maybe its the Tournament leaders' job to explain to the participants why they didnt get shafted. i know if I paid to play a course I can play for free I would want something in return, some value. I think the bigger picture here is that someone who is supposed to be a leader lashed out at a larger group of players and is now backpeddling. a simple apology would work a lot better. The OP has already apologized.

I see nothing wrong with the OP, voicing his opinion. All his complaints were addressed pretty quickly. Not sure why the TD felt the need to jump in and throw flames on the fire. The truth is some tournaments are poorly run and the OP felt this was one of them. Maybe the TD should not be so defensive and be a little more open minded. As far as the TD busting his butt and working long hours. The TD obviously needs more help. Their are many members in your club that will help all you need to do is ask and give them specific tasks.

"I know if I paid to play a course I can play for free I would want something in return, some value. "

I was not at this event, and no where near the mid atlantic region. But this phrase above hits home with some sentiments we see locally as well. And I know its not the core element in this discussion, but I think its lurking at the edges.

To which I say.. (in a general way, not specific person addressed here)

In the estimation of your received value for the day - How much value did you assign to the tournament experience? That is, how much value did you assign the golf? And even by that, I mean the tournament style, competitive, course all dressed up, blood pumping nerves, concentrate to achieve style golf? This is something special that you can not achieve any other way, thus its value added.

I feel terrible for our sport when I ask a player how his tourney went, and he looks down into a plastic bag, and starts verbally assigning values to the "stuff" that he got. "Well, I got a t shirt, thats like 10 bucks, a mini, that's like 1, a dx disc, thats like 8, etc..." He adds this all up, and looks up and says...

"Well, looks like I came up short by 5 bucks, so this tourney was terrible and a scam I tell'ya"

I stop and ask, so how much did you assign to the golf itself? It seems to me you assigned zero dollars. If it was stuff you were looking for, we could have handled all this back in town at the pro shop!

The worst part is, by the way we've continued to do things as we've done, I can't blame that complaining player, since we...

trained him to think that way.

lets get the thread back on track

- no player packs : no discs, stickers, tags, nothing
I think that is way fee was so low but i guess some people like a disc from a tourney they played in.
- $20 for tournament discs : nothing but max weight Rocs and Teebirds
That price is pretty normal for CFR discs. those 10x replica glow rocs are nice and stamp was cool
- No food
Okay Maybe have some snacks from the box store to sell to people that carpooled and can't get off site. Something for TDs to think about. raise a little cash selling snacks...only buy/supply what you could use at home if it doesn't sell.
- No water out on the course (there was warm water bottles at the start)
Bring your own drinks well that is usually just something you need to bring. even to a place like the grange that has everything right there i always go back and get water from my car to refill.
- Slow play
well 4.5 hours for 18holes that is really slow most it should take anyone L2L with 3 other players is 3hours. not sure how things got backed up but maybe next time let the ams walk and play the far holes without groups playing the long format. let them practice chill out do a contest for a prize or something.
-Cost C Tier
I don't think you can pay less than 20 for a tourney with the pdga 50 or 100 insurance and 4dollars a player. that leaves very little to pay out but i'm not sure what the others were playing for anyhow.
-Tom
spent 40 hours making a tough course look great. but don't take this stuff personal just try your best and maybe things will even out.

This sort of attitude is what bothered me. I dont care who said what first. he is new to the tournament experience and felt shafted. maybe its the Tournament leaders' job to explain to the participants why they didnt get shafted. i know if I paid to play a course I can play for free I would want something in return, some value. I think the bigger picture here is that someone who is supposed to be a leader lashed out at a larger group of players and is now backpeddling. a simple apology would work a lot better. The OP has already apologized.

lashing out at a larger group?
you mean the 1 person out of 40 who played
1/2 a tournament before running away
and 2 other fools chimming in from who knows where
perhaps just flame baiters - well it's working

backpeddle this: I'm sorry you're an idiot

I see nothing wrong with the OP, voicing his opinion. All his complaints were addressed pretty quickly. Not sure why the TD felt the need to jump in and throw flames on the fire. The truth is some tournaments are poorly run and the OP felt this was one of them. Maybe the TD should not be so defensive and be a little more open minded. As far as the TD busting his butt and working long hours. The TD obviously needs more help. Their are many members in your club that will help all you need to do is ask and give them specific tasks.

not defensive; just corrective!
a lot was said by Roger and others that was simply false information.

re: open minded... as I wrote earlier this thread
sheds attention on a format issue involving multi-divisional cards
on a course which has a wide level of playing skill. imo it confirms
that the field needs to be even further separated. (by different days
or tee times which worked fine at the Lovefest but it's only 1 round)

either way - the round will still be over 3 1/2 hours
it's the nature of the beast (but totally worth every minute)

The TD's do a lot of work that the players never see or even think about. If they didn't do this then there wouldn't be any tourneys to play.

I think Tom is on the right track by having separate events for Pro & advanced and Intermediate & Rec.

The pros play slow because money is on the line and the bottom divisions play slow because they take twice as many throws.

I've only participated in two other PDGA events so I don't have much to compare to but if Saturdays Cinco de Mayo at Giles Run on Saturday is normal I don't think I'll be doing very many more.

Yes the entrance fee was a reasonable $20 but
- no player packs : no discs, stickers, tags, nothing
- $20 for tournament discs : nothing but max weight Rocs and Teebirds
- No food
- No water out on the course (there was warm water bottles at the start)

Several of the Ams were pretty upset that their entrance fee seemed to be just going toward the pro payout.

The worst part - even though there weren't very many players and the director commented that we should move pretty quickly - it took 4 hours to play one round. Almost immediately the intermediate groups were stuck behind the Open foursome that was playing long tees to long baskets. For most of the round we had 3 to 4 groups waiting at the tee.

After the first round I was frustrated and decided I couldn't take it anymore. So I just played a quick solo round while everyone took an hour lunch. I was almost finished by the time they restarted.

Oh and I just checked and the results aren't posted yet either.

Maybe I shouldn't complain, I realize it takes a lot of work to put together a tournament but after this I'd rather just get a few friends , go play a couple rounds and use the $20 bucks to buy some beer!!

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

you played a pdga for 20$.....probably the cheapest pdga event available...

if you wanted lunch..go get it instead of playing a solo round
you want water...bring your own
During tournament play you cannot complain about the rate of play...its going to be different.

if you truly wanted to provide constructive criticism, then this was not the place or way to do it.

next time you play a tournament, think about why you want to play in it...experience, get better, acquisition of DG schwag...you decide and make your decision based on that. You're there to play golf, plain and simple (IMO). Im sure the golf was provided....

^Come on now Tom is definitly not a Douchebag. He does try to promote the sport. He even got an award last year at the challenge for promoting the sport. Tom's a nice guy and for you to start name calling what are you a grade school student.

The wisdom of children. :)

Austin is right. I am not sure if I know Tom, but working at Giles is no picnic. If Timber supports him, then I have to trust Timber. Giles is just a course that can leave a bad taste in your mouth if you are not able to hit your lines.

on the other hand, Knicez (Rodger) is not the typical complainer. He is a good guy who thought he saw some issues and wanted to know if this "bad experience" was typical.

This was just a misunderstanding that got blown up when people thought they were being insulted.

Just to clarify, I did not call anyone specifically a douchebag - just said that in my opinion douchebags are far worse for the sport than the so-called rec player imbeciles. We all act like a douche on occasion.

Now, as far as this goes:
Tom's a nice guy and for you to start name calling what are you a grade school student.
For me to start name calling? You mean, like calling people "imbecils"? Pretty sure that came first, but maybe you don't consider that name calling.

there is zippo to be gained from anyone continuing to post in this thread, i would encourage everyone to leave it be at this point.

both roger and tom are fine folk.

Latest posts