• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clarification on Flip/Turn Terminology

rowdyray

I have now been playing disc golf for around seven months and have improved my game a great deal. However, I am still confused about some disc golf terminology. Could someone please explain what each of these terms or phrases means in simple terms?

-Flip a disc
-a flippy disc
-Turn a disc over
-hyzer flip
-spike hyzer

I am particularly wondering about flip vs turn over. I sort of thought they were the same thing. If you make a disc turn left is that throwing it on an anhyzer line or turning it over or flipping it? I feel confused. Please help.:)

they basically are the same thing. if you are a righty, your discs will naturally want to fade left. A turnover or flip would be to the right. An anhyzer is not the same as a turnover. An anhyzer is a shot where the outer edge of the disc is above the horizontal plane. You release the disc with that angle and it starts going to the right immediately. a turnover/flip shot is generally released with hyzer (outer edge angled below horizontal) and the disc will turn from hyzer to flat to turning right.

A 'flippy' disc to most golfers is a disc that is either very easy to turn over or possibly turns over too much.

A spike hyzer is a high arcing shot used when you need to go up and over or around an obstacle, or need a shot that will stick when it hits the ground.

Flip a disc: the same as turning it over, high speed turn occurs in the opposite direction of low speed fade, to the right for RHBH throwers
Flippy: aka understable, easily turned over
Hyzer flip: throwing an understable disc at a hyzer angle so that it flips up into a straight or high speed turn flight pattern
Spike hyzer: a high arcing hyzer that comes down hard and plants where it lands

they basically are the same thing. if you are a righty, your discs will naturally want to fade left. A turnover or flip would be to the right. An anhyzer is not the same as a turnover. An anhyzer is a shot where the outer edge of the disc is above the horizontal plane. You release the disc with that angle and it starts going to the right immediately. a turnover/flip shot is generally released with hyzer (outer edge angled below horizontal) and the disc will turn from hyzer to flat to turning right.

A 'flippy' disc to most golfers is a disc that is either very easy to turn over or possibly turns over too much.

A spike hyzer is a high arcing shot used when you need to go up and over or around an obstacle, or need a shot that will stick when it hits the ground.

Thts probably the best answer anyone could have given you. Thumbs up

Latest posts